Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

2018 Audi A5 Sportback vs. 2018 BMW 430i xDrive Gran Coupe, 2018 Kia Stinger AWD - Comparison Tests

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Mazda6 Touring ? Soul Red
Kia Motor Finance USA/Hyundai Lease Titling Trust

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
@ MurlinatoR, well nice to know the Steel/Mining company that uses cars to move their product has their own financial company ; ) They can play by their own rules if they so choose. Most of the Feds rate changes are long-term rates, but the short-term market likes to follow along none-the-less. Thanks.

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
My question should probably be an entirely new post, but after thinking about it a bit, and only "some" automotive reviews mentioning this: Is there truly any car for like Stinger price that delivers as much?

When I say "much?" that might be poor wording, so let me elaborate on that a bit. What car, at the same price of a Stinger, can offer what that of the Stinger?

I keep coming away with nothing. Clearly, the German rigs are just priced way, way, north of the Stinger, so while Kia wants to market against them, if price isn't an object, then there are all sorts of vehicles we can look at... But again, I'm asking what in this exact price zone is out there that competes?

I started looking at other cars which Kia is rather quiet about comparing themselves too. Maybe - overall - we are missing some cars that truly stack up in the same price band, and Kia's STRONG marketing arm for the Stinger has pushed these off the automotive reviews and out of our "top of mind" competition?

I immediately thought of Acura: Yet the TLX comes with leatherette seating, no heated seats, and no performance for the base price of around $35,000. The 4-banger, or V6 just don't have close to the engine performance of the Stinger... Many now just question as to why not get a new Accord - if you can handle it's looks - for much less?

I took a look at Cadillac, and the ATS starts around $2k higher, but again, is missing a LOT of features, and while it has the raw horsepower stat, the 0-60mph times (5.7sec for 2.0T and 5.6sec for the V6) just don't stack up! You can move north with Cadillac's choice of options and engines, but the price quickly goes out of line. I would end on the ATS with pointing out the back seat is not too roomy, as Cadillac clearly markets this car as a US version of a BMW 3-series.

Volvo's S60 is an option starting at $35,095, yet it has a host of features, but lacks Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Size-wise, it is worse than the ATS, as the back seat is incredibly tiny, mated with a small trunk... Yet another vehicle trying t compete with BMW's 3-series. Again, lots of features for the buck, but even the base engine with a 240hp engine can only manage 0-60mph in 6.2sec vs 5.1sec for the 2.0L Stinger. Moving north the pricing also follows. It's just in a class range smaller and with less power than the Stinger, yet costs more. I'm seeing a trend here...

I jumped back to the Japanese once more to see if Infiniti could muster up a solid Q50 alternative? The pricing starts, again, around $35,000 but it's well equipped, even though fake leather is thrown in. The 208hp engine, however, is overwhelmed, delivering a 0-60mph time of 7 seconds. Ouch! The back seat has room that bests the Stinger, and the trunk is as big as they've ever offered ? decent.

Okay, we "might" have a competitor here! Jumping to the V6, Sport, it comes in at $41,645, and is rear wheel drive. However, its 300hp Turbo engine can only muster 5.6sec 0-60. Start scratching a bit further in features and heated seats are still only an option, only 8-way power seats, and a 6 speaker sound system. It is clear Infiniti would like you to start upgrading many of these area's they have intentionally skimped don, buying into a package or going with al-a-carte upgrades. No Apple CarPlay or Android Auto either. It's a close competitor, but starts pricing itself out of the game with lacking performance.

Lastly, I held off on looking at Lexus, but it was pretty easy to discover they have nothing, repeat ? nothing ? even close to this class for the money. The best Lexus could do would be their GS series sedan which starts at $46,310 for a 4-cylinder. Their pricing band is narrow however, with a GS 350 AWD F Sport coming it at $59,000 having a 0-60mph of 5.8sec! Ouch...

I have driven some of the competition (not all) and have read review after review on all of them. You can go down into the nitty gritty on specs and overall the Japanese tend to provide the most technology mix that competes well with the Stinger.

Vernally speaking, the Japanese brands (Lexus, Infiniti, Acura) will provide much better gas mileage, but underwhelm in power. The Japanese vehicles, based mostly on their Nissan, Honda or Toyota sedans, have pretty decent interior room also. And while some may have auto-sensing wipers standard, they skimp in many other areas over the entire vehicle, with overall higher prices. And no, they do not compete in performance.

Kia was smart to aim directly at the German vehicles, which are the gold standard combinations of luxury and performance. Even the Japanese luxury brands target the Germans, so aim high. Thus, if people start putting Infiniti or Acura in the mix, some may come away with the idea that these vehicles meet a more practical side of them (roomier, better mileage, etc...), but not performance and power or style, nor the practice hatch of the Stinger, and yet for a bit more in cost. But again, some will probably lean this way if they start comparing Japanese offerings for various reasons.

Bottom Line: I've walked away finding nothing that fits Kia's Stinger band of performance and features for its price - nothing.

NOTE: There is only one vehicle - STILL not in the market yet - that will beat the Stinger in price and feature set, yet it's V6 cannot compete with that of the Stinger, and the GS model is aiming for a more luxury-level sedan that has Nascar seats thrown in... It does not mix well. The Regal does not have the handling characteristics of the Stinger, sport design, nor interior materials and fit and finish that compete well with a lot of other vehicles in the market. If the Japanese are slightly targeting above the Stinger in price with a mix of features and lack of performance, the Buick Regals GS will fall below in price with a decent mix of features while also lacking performance.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
The one comparison that I like, [MENTION=477]MarkyMark[/MENTION], is to look at the C&D reviews of the Stinger GT and the Lexus RC500. You ready? Forget advertised specs except for those things that C&D did not measure.

Lexus RC500 - 471HP, 398 lb./ft. torque, 0-60 in 4.5 sec., top end 170 (computer limited), skidpad 0.93, wt. 4,350 lbs., price as tested $105,000
Stinger GT - 365HP, 376 lb./ft. torque, 0-60 in 4.4 sec., top end 167 (computer limited), skidpad 0.93, wt. 4,000 lbs., price as tested $50,000

While they liked the stitched leather door panels on the RC500, they did not like the LCD system with buried sub-menus.

Essentially identical performance. Basically half the price. The interesting spec to me is that although the HP rating of the Lexus is much higher, the torque is only 22 lb./ft. more which accounts for it's relatively weak performance compared to published specs.

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
The one comparison that I like, [MENTION=477]MarkyMark[/MENTION], is to look at the C&D reviews of the Stinger GT and the Lexus RC500. You ready? Forget advertised specs except for those things that C&D did not measure.

Lexus RC500 - 471HP, 398 lb./ft. torque, 0-60 in 4.5 sec., top end 170 (computer limited), skidpad 0.93, wt. 4,350 lbs., price as tested $105,000
Stinger GT - 365HP, 376 lb./ft. torque, 0-60 in 4.4 sec., top end 167 (computer limited), skidpad 0.93, wt. 4,000 lbs., price as tested $50,000

While they liked the stitched leather door panels on the RC500, they did not like the LCD system with buried sub-menus.

Essentially identical performance. Basically half the price. The interesting spec to me is that although the HP rating of the Lexus is much higher, the torque is only 22 lb./ft. more which accounts for it's relatively weak performance compared to published specs.
[MENTION=456]mldavis2[/MENTION], you nailed it. When seeing a 106HP difference, one needs to looks elsewhere as to why the vehicle is underperforming. The first clue is indeed, the torque is abysmal for that many ponies in the stable. The drivetrain just can't use all that power effectively. The second area is look at the curb weight. Wow, another 350lbs heavier than the Stinger.

As for the leather stitching in the doors? Great. For a few thousand at a local auto upholstery shop, I can get quilted everything in the interior of the Stinger if I want. Any questions? Uh, no... ; )