Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

USB Music

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
Hey, I have a quasi-related question. So I purchased an album that was remastered onto Blu-Ray. I've found no way to rip the silly disc. Anybody know how?

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Hey, I have a quasi-related question. So I purchased an album that was remastered onto Blu-Ray. I've found no way to rip the silly disc. Anybody know how?
Google "Blu-Ray Ripper" There is a free version available. Haven't used it but looks good.

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD Aurora Black
If it's been made in the past year or two, it most likely is encrypted with HDCP 2.2, which no one's been able to crack yet. If not, you should be fine with a random BR ripping app, but if it has that you might be screwed.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Google "Blu-Ray Ripper" There is a free version available. Haven't used it but looks good.
I have blu-ray backup software for movies that works great. But it doesn't identify the audio discs. I'll give this a try. Thanks!

OP
T
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
Thread Starter #25
A quick update to my previous posts with good results.

I am using a SanDisk Cruzer 256GB USB drive that I have loaded 70 GB of music using CyberLink Power2Go Ver. 11 to rip to flac file format.

Despite what the manual says, and to support Berzerker's previous reply, I leave the USB drive plugged in all the time. It takes the system about 20-30 seconds to recognize, load the drive and start the music after starting the engine.

This definitely beats Sirius radio as that is plagued with repetitious music on almost all channels.

Thanks

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive

I am using a SanDisk Cruzer 256GB USB drive that I have loaded 70 GB of music using CyberLink Power2Go Ver. 11 to rip to flac file format.

Despite what the manual says, and to support Berzerker's previous reply, I leave the USB drive plugged in all the time. It takes the system about 20-30 seconds to recognize, load the drive and start the music after starting the engine.

This definitely beats Sirius radio as that is plagued with repetitious music on almost all channels.

Thanks
Nice! Though your system takes a bit longer to read USB than mine, what did you format it to, NTFS or exFAT? Also could be because it?s a 256GB and mines a 64GB

OP
T
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
Thread Starter #27
I did not reformat the drive as it came with FAT32. The size does matter regarding "read" (or as the car says "loading") time as it loaded much faster when I first starting loading the drive and it only had 6-7 GB's on it. With 6-7 GB's on it, it loaded instantaneously.

Thanks for the reply.

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
I did not reformat the drive as it came with FAT32. The size does matter regarding "read" (or as the car says "loading") time as it loaded much faster when I first starting loading the drive and it only had 6-7 GB's on it. With 6-7 GB's on it, it loaded instantaneously.

Thanks for the reply.
Can't be FAT32, FAT32 partition sizes are limited to 32GB. It's either NTFS or exFAT. Might be the amount of music you have then, well at least it works!

OP
T
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
Thread Starter #29
Can't be FAT32, FAT32 partition sizes are limited to 32GB. It's either NTFS or exFAT. Might be the amount of music you have then, well at least it works!
I don't know how, or why, but the USB Drive is formatted (according to Disk Properties) to FAT32.

SeoulStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi A6
I don't know how, or why, but the USB Drive is formatted (according to Disk Properties) to FAT32.
When you format it, you can select NTFS instead of FAT32

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Looks like they removed the ability to format drives larger than 32GB in Windows 10, so it was probably done by software running on 7 or some linux variant at the factory. I'd honestly try and reformat it NTFS or exFAT and recopy all of your music, it'd probably speed up load times.

OP
T
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
Thread Starter #33
Looks like they removed the ability to format drives larger than 32GB in Windows 10, so it was probably done by software running on 7 or some linux variant at the factory. I'd honestly try and reformat it NTFS or exFAT and recopy all of your music, it'd probably speed up load times.
There is another issue to consider, according to theWindows 10 Inside Out book:

If you're formatting a USB flash drive, on the other hand, FAT32 or exFAT is a reasonable choice. Because NTFS is a journaling file system, reading and writing files on NTFS disks involves more input/output than similar operations on FAT32 and exFAT disks. Flash drives can perform a finite number of reads and writes before they need to be replaced - hence, they may have a longer life expectancy under FAT32 or exFAT than under NTFS. On UEFI systems (e.g., Microsoft Surface Pro), FAT32 is required for bootable installation media.

The above information has just convinced me to copy the contents of my USB Drive to one of my Computers External Hard Drives as a backup in case the flash drive does fail.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive

Thanks
What format is your music in and how do you have it organized, etc.? Any artwork and does it display? Thanks!

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
What format is your music in and how do you have it organized, etc.? Any artwork and does it display? Thanks!
I have my drive (64GB USB 2.0 sandisk) in exFAT, organized by Artist/Album/Song.FLAC and the device is fully searchable through the UVO system, and displays elapsed time, percentage bar, song total time, and album art on all of my music.

OP
T
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
Thread Starter #36
Similar to Bezerker as I have a 256GB USB 3.0 using FAT32 with all music copied to root drive (according to Multimedia Manual) and organized by Artist/Album/Song using flac. All the options Bezerker discussed are available. When playing a song and wanting to change to a different artist and album you must press Artist button and then the File button to bring up the list of Artists on the root directory. If you hit the File button while a song is playing you get a list of the songs on that album.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Interesting guys - thanks! Not looking forward to re-ripping my old CD collection to FLAC. But it may be time. How do you get newer music (I've not purchased a CD in years now) in FLAC format?

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Interesting guys - thanks! Not looking forward to re-ripping my old CD collection to FLAC. But it may be time. How do you get newer music (I've not purchased a CD in years now) in FLAC format?
Little more difficult nowadays now that What.CD is gone, but there are similar ways you can find information like that. :p

If you want to actually buy your music, you can get FLAC rips from HDTracks.

Voytek

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2 RWD
I got my 1TB WD USB HD to work, using FAT32 w/ MBR partition map (GUID didn't work). This is appreciably faster than my old 16GB USB jump stick to load/play music and in general to add/remove albums from the library. USB HD is probably the best option for you if you want to store and play lossless quality albums (flac, wav, ect.), I believe I read that head unit supports up to 48kHz sample rate (CD quality). I'll test one of my 24/96 flac albums but it'll likely need to be converted down to 44/48 to play.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Great thread!! I gave up using USB stick in my current car because FLAC and/or the large volume of music files was too slow to load (initially and if changing albums/artists) and album art didn't work. Use an iPod instead, which works perfectly.

I would love to go back to USB stick when I get my Stinger. So much expertise here, so I will ask rather than attempting tedious research myself:

1. Will USB 3.0 vs. 2.0 make a difference if it's a large volume of FLAC files?

2. Does FLAC load faster or slower or the same as MP3s?

3. Can I simply copy folders from Windows (ripped via WMP) that include all the WMA files? Or is it better to copy the iTunes folders with their m4A files? Both are lossless (would't use anything but that), but does one work better with the Stinger system than the other?

4. Regardless of choice in #3, I assume the album art downloads from the system? I don't see any album art files in either set of music on my PC, yet the album art shows up when I use my iPod (which is sync'd with files on my PC that I am looking at now that have no album art).

5. I see discussion about file format...is there any tested conclusion about what should be used/will be fastest if it's a 64 GB + drive that is almost full of files?

Thanks in advance for answers!!!!!!!!!!!! P.S., is there a link to the audio/nav manual online somewhere? I have the regular manual, but that's only half the reading ;)