Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Who turns off the Auto Start/Stop feature when they first get in their Stinger?

• Yes

Votes: 62 68.9%
  • No

Votes: 28 31.1%

• Total voters
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Acura MDX

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Is there a way to keep it off permanently or only have it on in eco mode?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
Every time I remember. And that's not often enough. No way to turn it off in the settings that I'm aware of. But I sure would like for it to be.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Really hoping they can crack the ECU soon so that we can leave it permanently OFF.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
There may be some legal issue or at least safety rating involved. In one video I saw, the Stinger got a 3-star crash rating. But the punch line was that stripped models that do not have the collision avoidance systems do not meet the 2018 safety standards although they may be 5-star under 2017 standards. So like the tire speed limit, they send it out meeting 5-star specs by not letting you defeat it.

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
There may be some legal issue or at least safety rating involved. In one video I saw, the Stinger got a 3-star crash rating. But the punch line was that stripped models that do not have the collision avoidance systems do not meet the 2018 safety standards although they may be 5-star under 2017 standards. So like the tire speed limit, they send it out meeting 5-star specs by not letting you defeat it.

I think you are confusing the collision avoidance with the start/stop feature that turns off your engine at a stop, then turns it back on when you release the brakes. The reason you can?t disable it is due to EPA testing.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
There's a grain of truth in what was said, however. The auto start/stop is there for fuel economy and, likely, emissions reasons as well. If that's the case, they won't allow it to be defeated. Now, once someone's hacking into the ECU, who knows what can be found.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
There's a grain of truth in what was said, however. The auto start/stop is there for fuel economy and, likely, emissions reasons as well. If that's the case, they won't allow it to be defeated. Now, once someone's hacking into the ECU, who knows what can be found.
Definitely, I know with the Cobb AP you can disable the auto-start/stop on the Focus ST/RS.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I think [MENTION=328]Kazz[/MENTION] is right. In order to claim the 25mpg highway on the MSRP sticker, they have to demonstrate the ability to meet that and probably the only way they can is to implement the Start/Stop function. But it's a simple one-touch switch. If you can take the time and effort to press the Parking Brake button, you can spend an extra millisecond and include the Start/Stop button in your startup routine. Glad you aren't flying a plane, 'cuz the pre-flight inspection would get you killed. [driving]

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
I think [MENTION=328]Kazz[/MENTION] is right. In order to claim the 25mpg highway on the MSRP sticker, they have to demonstrate the ability to meet that and probably the only way they can is to implement the Start/Stop function. But it's a simple one-touch switch. If you can take the time and effort to press the Parking Brake button, you can spend an extra millisecond and include the Start/Stop button in your startup routine. Glad you aren't flying a plane, 'cuz the pre-flight inspection would get you killed. [driving]
Oops

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
I thought I would be disabling it every time but it's actually quite decent compared to other brands. The auto start/stop in my 2014 BMW would shake the entire car as it started up. The Stinger is smooth.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
On Fords the Forscan program can used to disable the ASS or by doing a jumper wire mod to the switch connector. Possibly a jumper wire mod could be use to disable the feature with the Stinger.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I think you are confusing the collision avoidance with the start/stop feature that turns off your engine at a stop, then turns it back on when you release the brakes. The reason you can?t disable it is due to EPA testing.
Yeah, VW found that out the hard way. LMBO

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
I thought I would be disabling it every time but it's actually quite decent compared to other brands. The auto start/stop in my 2014 BMW would shake the entire car as it started up. The Stinger is smooth.
2.0T or 3.3TT? My 3.3TT is noticeable when it starts up and, I don't know whether it's my "technique" in leaving a full stop but, it can kick the car uncomfortably forward when it first gets going.

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
2.0T or 3.3TT? My 3.3TT is noticeable when it starts up and, I don't know whether it's my "technique" in leaving a full stop but, it can kick the car uncomfortably forward when it first gets going.
3.3. It's not *unnoticeable* but I don't mind it. Compared to the BMW it's night and day. I disable it when I know I'll be in stop and start traffic like in NYC. Gets annoying then.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
3.3. It's not *unnoticeable* but I don't mind it. Compared to the BMW it's night and day. I disable it when I know I'll be in stop and start traffic like in NYC. Gets annoying then.
My biggest issue with ASS is the AC. When you are at a stop light the AC compressor will shut off and the air will start to come out warmer, and here in TX it only takes seconds to start feeling it. Hence why I prefer a permanent OFF option.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
As a pilot, you always go through a pre-flight checklist before taking off. That's essential even if we have flown the plane hundreds of times. It takes no more time to press the "no stop" button than it does to press the Park button. That may be an annoyance if you forget, but dead once at a stoplight, you press the button (what else do you have to do while waiting on a stop sign or light?) and it's done for that leg of the drive. I guess I just don't get it....

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD Aurora Black
Agree on the difference between that and BMW. Much smoother in the Stinger (also 3.3TT).

What I also noticed is that it won't actually turn the motor off (even if the situation is right for it), if you don't press the brake more than half-way down or so. It's enough to keep the car from rolling, but not far enough to activate the auto stop/start. I do this when I'm waiting at a stop sign or a light I know is about to change, etc. Very useful if it was intentional. The BMW would go out of its way to turn off, even if the car wasn't fully stopped yet lol.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Agree on the difference between that and BMW. Much smoother in the Stinger (also 3.3TT).

What I also noticed is that it won't actually turn the motor off (even if the situation is right for it), if you don't press the brake more than half-way down or so. It's enough to keep the car from rolling, but not far enough to activate the auto stop/start. I do this when I'm waiting at a stop sign or a light I know is about to change, etc. Very useful if it was intentional. The BMW would go out of its way to turn off, even if the car wasn't fully stopped yet lol.
Yes, it's designed this way. The same rule applies for the auto hold feature.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Mazda6 Touring ? Soul Red
Every time I remember. And that's not often enough. No way to turn it off in the settings that I'm aware of. But I sure would like for it to be.
This can't be updated with a software fix soon enough. I HATE every car that has the stop/engine-off feature. I was pleased that with the Stinger I could turn it off... But I did not know this needed to be done EVERY TIME?! What?! (I don't own it - yet). That's nuts. Come on Kia, get a software update to stop the insanity!