Welcome to Kia Stinger Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who turns off the Auto Start/Stop feature when they first get in their Stinger?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

57 68.67%
  • No

26 31.33%
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 46789101112131415 LastLast
    21 Rep Points
    Medals
    Made First Post  
    State
    Non-US
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I'm the person who "pioneered" the technique of jamming a piece of paper in the button.
    I've since taken the box out/apart to inspect for options, and confirmed it's a very simple surface mount component micro switch on a circuit board.

Could easily desolder the switch and replace the "normally open" switch with a "normally closed" switch of the same size to reverse operation. 5 minutes, tops...

But I simply cut a small piece of plastic to insert between the button and the switch to keep it pressed, and reassembled, to permanently disable the system with no unsightly shim in the cabin.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Staff Team 287 Rep Points MurlinatoR's Avatar
    Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    State
    IA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DesignDawg View Post
    I'm the person who "pioneered" the technique of jamming a piece of paper in the button.
    I've since taken the box out/apart to inspect for options, and confirmed it's a very simple surface mount component micro switch on a circuit board.

Could easily desolder the switch and replace the "normally open" switch with a "normally closed" switch of the same size to reverse operation. 5 minutes, tops...

But I simply cut a small piece of plastic to insert between the button and the switch to keep it pressed, and reassembled, to permanently disable the system with no unsightly shim in the cabin.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    You're a mastermind! ;-)

Medals
    Made First Post  
    State
    MA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CajunStinger View Post
    I think you are confusing the collision avoidance with the start/stop feature that turns off your engine at a stop, then turns it back on when you release the brakes. The reason you can't disable it is due to EPA testing.
    I have a 2015 Mini and when you shut off the start/stop it stays off. So I don't think it's any EPA regulation. That's the way they all should be.

Medals
    Made First Post  
    Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceGhost View Post
    I have a 2015 Mini and when you shut off the start/stop it stays off. So I don't think it's any EPA regulation. That's the way they all should be.
    Do they stay off in the '18 Mini too?

Medals
    Made First Post  
    State
    MA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SIKKIA View Post
    Do they stay off in the '18 Mini too?
    I did some poking around and it seems like on the US models it can be shut off and stays off, but on the EU models it cannot be turned off. That makes sense because the US is less regulation happy. Maybe Kia just figures it's cheaper to make one version for all.

But I'm not 100% sure I just know Obama loved regulations and Trump hates them. I found this article about getting rid of fuel economy requirements. Although if I were a car manufacturer I'd probably not change course figuring the next president might be a SJW liberal lunatic and put the regs right back.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national...uel-efficiency

Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts
    State
    MA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lolol...obama
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceGhost View Post
    I did some poking around and it seems like on the US models it can be shut off and stays off, but on the EU models it cannot be turned off. That makes sense because the US is less regulation happy. Maybe Kia just figures it's cheaper to make one version for all.

But I'm not 100% sure I just know Obama loved regulations and Trump hates them. I found this article about getting rid of fuel economy requirements. Although if I were a car manufacturer I'd probably not change course figuring the next president might be a SJW liberal lunatic and put the regs right back.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national...uel-efficiency

Medals
    Made First Post  
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    There are times (very rarely) when I prefer the auto stop option-like when I KNOW it will be a long red light or delay. But I would prefer the default condition to be OFF, and then i opt to enable it. You know this has to be a very simple line in the code, but someone needs to find out how to flash it into the PCM.

I understand the "light touch" on the brake pedal but there are times when that doesn't work too well (like when coming to a stop while traveling down hill). I agree that the car restarts pretty smoothly, but if you need power, say when making a left turn, it is a bit nerve racking when the car has to restart, shift into gear and accelerate while there may be oncoming traffic.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 46789101112131415 LastLast