Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Who turns off the Auto Start/Stop feature when they first get in their Stinger?

Who turns off the Auto Start/Stop feature when they first get in their Stinger?

• Yes

Votes: 62 68.9%
  • No

Votes: 28 31.1%

• Total voters
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 KIA Stinger GT2 AWD
Reading thru this thread, this seems to be one of the most "controversial" topics about the car. I've had my Stinger about 2 months, and this is my first car with auto-off/start. It was really annoying at first. I still don't like it, but have gotten so used to hitting the button at start-up, that it's habit/"muscle-memory" by now - kinda like latching the safety belt.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
VW Golf
Reading thru this thread, this seems to be one of the most "controversial" topics about the car. I've had my Stinger about 2 months, and this is my first car with auto-off/start. It was really annoying at first. I still don't like it, but have gotten so used to hitting the button at start-up, that it's habit/"muscle-memory" by now - kinda like latching the safety belt.
Same here, I've also gotten used to braking with the right pressure as to not activate the auto start/stop.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 Stinger GT2 RWD White
I've had mine less than a month and its extremely annoying in Phoenix. It's been over 105? everyday last month and when I would stop the AC would slow down and it would get warmer than I like. So yeah, for mow I turn it off.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
I've had mine less than a month and its extremely annoying in Phoenix. It's been over 105? everyday last month and when I would stop the AC would slow down and it would get warmer than I like. So yeah, for mow I turn it off.
I feel your pain brother.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
So, I discovered this morning on my way to work that the Auto Stop feature of the Stinger will disable if you have the traditional gated shifter and bump it to the left into manual shift mode as you come up to a stop. Then bump it back and away you go!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Mazda6 Touring ? Soul Red
So, I discovered this morning on my way to work that the Auto Stop feature of the Stinger will disable if you have the traditional gated shifter and bump it to the left into manual shift mode as you come up to a stop. Then bump it back and away you go!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
QUESTION: Does the engine re-engage as soon as you shift it from manual to stick, or does it re-engage and stay on for good once you engage the gas pedal from the stop?

It seems more like a missed piece of software code than a conscious design feature... But I really don't care, this is great news.

QUESTION: Do you know if this works for the 2.0L's also, or just the GT's?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
QUESTION: Does the engine re-engage as soon as you shift it from manual to stick, or does it re-engage and stay on for good once you engage the gas pedal from the stop?

It seems more like a missed piece of software code than a conscious design feature... But I really don't care, this is great news.

You would rather move the shifter at every stop light than just disabling the ISG completely (for that trip) when you start the car?!?! Sounds bizarre to me when you can easily disable it per stop by just not pressing too hard on the brake pedal. They already designed a per-stop override with the pedal. But I must be missing something...

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's

#1 - The engine stays running. If you switch to MANUAL, the light will illuminate orange, then you can flip it back to DRIVE.

#2 - Yes, it works on all gated shifters.

I was just putting this out there. I don't have a problem with the start/stop system at all. It's almost seamless and starts the car immediately.

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Mazda6 Touring ? Soul Red
#1 - The engine stays running. If you switch to MANUAL, the light will illuminate orange, then you can flip it back to DRIVE.

#2 - Yes, it works on all gated shifters.

I was just putting this out there. I don't have a problem with the start/stop system at all. It's almost seamless and starts the car immediately.
Thanks MurlanatorR

PERSONAL NOTE: Looks like I may be - F I N A L L Y - pulling the trigger later this month or sometime in September. GT, RWD, Red, White or Blue (so long as the blue isn't one in the bad batch paint), Limited Edition (or DriveWise and LSD stand-a-lone if required).

Those Limited Edition GT's are rare birds, but they give red on black interior, LSD and DriveWise as a "bundle" for only $1600 retail! Makes zero sense, as LSD is $200 and DriveWise $2000 at list price. Throw in red on black, and call it a "Limited Edition" that costs less!?

I don't think someone in Korea did their math too well with this one, but I'll take it while the offer is there and I can find it! Seems it should have been $2,600 NOT $1,600!

Reactions
State
CT
Country
United States
Has anyone notice the headlights and lighting jump at night when the Auto Start/Stop activates? It's no surprise as that's expected but it looks bad at night if I have people with me in the car I turn it off so it doesn't look like my stinger has electrical issues. While I notice that it does save gas, I worry that the feature is breaking the engine in too much, like it's extra wear and tear on the engine and overall all car to save like 60 seconds of gas. Like I wouldn't be surprised a year in if it breaks or wears out.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 Stinger GT2 AWD
Has anyone notice the headlights and lighting jump at night when the Auto Start/Stop activates? It's no surprise as that's expected but it looks bad at night if I have people with me in the car I turn it off so it doesn't look like my stinger has electrical issues. While I notice that it does save gas, I worry that the feature is breaking the engine in too much, like it's extra wear and tear on the engine and overall all car to save like 60 seconds of gas. Like I wouldn't be surprised a year in if it breaks or wears out.
I use the auto start/stop at night (idle stop and go) and have NOT experienced the lights jump.

I have a GT2 with the lights set at auto (and always push the light arm forward for ?auto high? at startup).

Might be a glitch/warranty issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
CT
Country
United States
It's almost like the way the a/c mutes when it's off. So it's like it goes to the battery to keep everything on and then when the engine cuts back on there's a switch of more power/alternator kicking on. It's not a big issue but there's some days based on the weather that the whole process seems more coarse. Like it's just too much wear and tear and on and off. Especially if the Auto stop start is timed wrong. You hit a light for like 15 seconds and it cuts out right before you go again and it starts going mid 0-30. It just doesn't seem good for the car. I guess I'm just going to have to let the warranty cover it and not worry.

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 kia stinger gt
hate that feature
[thumbdown]

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I have no qualms with the auto start and stop on mine. I am familiar with the very faint flicker of the button lights at night when it restarts but that is to be expected.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I'm ok with it for the most part, but it does seem pretty harsh coming back on while I'm still on the brakes. It's not so bad when it comes on after lifting the brake pedal, but it doesn't transfer fast enough to drive for my reaction time and sometimes it lunges hard because I'm already on the gas before it goes back into drive.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
I?ve got the 3.3L engine for context. I?ve never been in a car that implements this feature better. I initially thought I?d turn it off as I have in other cars I?ve owned win this. But I left it on and haven?t looked back. It works so damn well and seamlessly, that I give Kai major kudos for their implementation. It starts immediately when I remove my foot from the brake or touch the accelerator. To me it?s a no brained to use it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I'm ok with it for the most part, but it does seem pretty harsh coming back on while I'm still on the brakes. It's not so bad when it comes on after lifting the brake pedal, but it doesn't transfer fast enough to drive for my reaction time and sometimes it lunges hard because I'm already on the gas before it goes back into drive.
Hey [MENTION=1468]CKeeler[/MENTION], are you using the AUTO HOLD together with the auto start/stop? There should be NO delay from brake to throttle with the Stinger's system. If you are using AUTO HOLD with it, however, you will need to press the throttle TWICE. The first tap starts the engine and the second tap removes the AUTO HOLD.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Hey [MENTION=1468]CKeeler[/MENTION], are you using the AUTO HOLD together with the auto start/stop? There should be NO delay from brake to throttle with the Stinger's system. If you are using AUTO HOLD with it, however, you will need to press the throttle TWICE. The first tap starts the engine and the second tap removes the AUTO HOLD.
I've never used the auto hold feature. The engine turns on as soon as I lift from the brake, but it doesn't engage into drive quick enough for me. I'm coming from a manual transmission where I had to be quick with the changes especially on hills.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
While I find the whole ignition on/off thing to be silly, a main reason I dislike it is how fast I am from brake to gas pedal. I'm giving input before the car's finished restarting often causing a jerk forward. This feature's a huge no thank you for me.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
I haven't been turning it off and I don't mind it but I'm wondering if its harder on the engine...I've always heard that starting is rough on the engine...but maybe that's just when its cold? I have to say, with the 2019 at least, the stopping and restarting is very smooth...almost unnoticeable to me.