Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Stinger Issues

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Audi A4
Got my HiChroma Red GT2 AWD about a week ago and will write a review once I get some more miles on it. I've learned that there are a couple of service bulletins on the car:

* rear hatch rattle (In my case, it was repaired at the port prior to delivery.)

* stop/start system malfunctioning (Can be due to a loose electrical connection behind the glove box.)

In case anyone isn't aware of this, KIA has a special customer service number (at least in the U.S.) for its "premium" cars:
855-454-2847

I've noticed that the red light on the dash blinks both when the alarm system is armed and when it is disarmed. After locking the car using the smart key, the light stops blinking for around 30 seconds and then resumes blinking. And after unlocking the car, the light also continues to blink. Has anyone else noticed this issue?

I suppose this could be SOP for the system, but alarm systems on most cars only blink after they have been armed, and I haven't found any documentation on the alarm system.

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
The alarm does the exact same thing on mine and I find the whole system to be somewhat worthless especially without some kind of impact sensor.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
I don't mind the red light flashing even if I forgot to lock the car...

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
* stop/start system malfunctioning (Can be due to a loose electrical connection behind the glove box.)
Did they fix this already? I haven't seen or received any noticed.

OP
T
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Audi A4
Thread Starter #5
The alarm does the exact same thing on mine and I find the whole system to be somewhat worthless especially without some kind of impact sensor.
I checked out another new Stinger and it behaves the same way, so apparently this is the (strange) way the system was designed.

Other than for this odd and unhelpful design element, I like the way the system works.

OP
T
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Audi A4
Thread Starter #6
Did they fix this already? I haven't seen or received any noticed.

While KIA was still trying to determine the cause of the issue, I was able to diagnose what was happening. Using normal pressure on the brake pedal when the car comes to a stop usually doesn't trigger the car's stop/start system. After coming to a complete stop, applying additional pressure to the brake pedal will cause the engine to stop when the other conditions necessary to implement this system are met.

Don't know if this situation is unique to my Stinger or is how all Stingers are set up/calibrated at the factory. In my case, now that I know what is going on, I like this because I can engage or override the system simply by adjusting pressure on the brake rather than having to use the switch on the console.

However, 2 trips to the KIA dealership and 2 calls to KIA's support line by the mechanic and KIA still wasn't able to determine what was causing the inconsistent behavior I was experiencing. If this is a feature, KIA should have documented it so both the mechanics and its customers know about it.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
While KIA was still trying to determine the cause of the issue, I was able to diagnose what was happening. Using normal pressure on the brake pedal when the car comes to a stop usually doesn't trigger the car's stop/start system. After coming to a complete stop, applying additional pressure to the brake pedal will cause the engine to stop when the other conditions necessary to implement this system are met.

Don't know if this situation is unique to my Stinger or is how all Stingers are set up/calibrated at the factory. In my case, now that I know what is going on, I like this because I can engage or override the system simply by adjusting pressure on the brake rather than having to use the switch on the console.

However, 2 trips to the KIA dealership and 2 calls to KIA's support line by the mechanic and KIA still wasn't able to determine what was causing the inconsistent behavior I was experiencing. If this is a feature, KIA should have documented it so both the mechanics and its customers know about it.
Agree that the usual dealership and customer service ignorance is a real problem here.

And I agree that this is actually a great way to design the system. Most of the time in stop and start urban traffic you do not want the engine cutting out. But, when you are at a light or some other longer pause, just press a bit harder and the system engages. Elegant engineering and design!