Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

oil changes

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
stinger GT2
has anyone done their own oil change. Dealer is 200 miles away and manual only says go to dealer

SeoulStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi A6
has anyone done their own oil change. Dealer is 200 miles away and manual only says go to dealer
I've thought about getting an extractor for quicker oil changes.
[video=youtube;ZLQROKWizb4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLQROKWizb4[/video]

Reactions
State
DC
Country
United States
This guy just posted a video. The extractor would certainly resolve the splash issue with that structural beam, although you'd still have to get underneath to access the filter.

[video=youtube_share;LdzWw6r-GEY]https://youtu.be/LdzWw6r-GEY[/video]

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
This guy just posted a video. The extractor would certainly resolve the splash issue with that structural beam, although you'd still have to get underneath to access the filter.
Another easy trick to help stop the oil from splashing on you? Leave the oil cap ON when you drain the crankcase! That will slow the flow and keep it clean.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I've used a small curved plastic shield cut from a plastic jug or bottle on my other cars. It looks as if you would be better off buying a dedicated wrench for that 27mm plastic nut housing. No fun taking those panels off, either. The pop pins quickly wear out with repeated use.

mdwallace

Reactions
State
ME
Country
United States
Makes the satisfaction of a oil change a little hard to come by with the Stinger. I wonder about the engine break in period. Also, the guy in the extractor vid is wearing two different shoes. What am I supposed to think now.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger / 2017 Camaro SS
I only recently started changing my own oil, so I'm no expert.. but is that type of oil filter common? I'm used to the ones that look like cans that come off, get thrown away and are replaced in total. This thing that is encased in easy to break plastic that has to be forced over some sort of spreading mechanism is foreign to me.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
Has anyone considered installing the Fumoto Drain Valve for easier oil changes?
[video=youtube;zeaMnvDabkE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeaMnvDabkE[/video]

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
I only recently started changing my own oil, so I'm no expert.. but is that type of oil filter common? I'm used to the ones that look like cans that come off, get thrown away and are replaced in total. This thing that is encased in easy to break plastic that has to be forced over some sort of spreading mechanism is foreign to me.
They are more common on German cars. Here's one for the Audi S3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gM7omH-jJU

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
I am almost due for my oil change and I was wondering if anyone has any information for the aftermarket replacement cartridge for the 3.3TT.
All I have been able to find is the replacements for the 2.0. I watched StingerGtandMe's Video already but they used the OEM cartridge.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
For those doing your own oil changes the Fumoto Drain Valve is a must have. These pictures were posted by robz32 on another thread, but its worth sharing here too. There's plenty of clearance underneath for the drain valve to safely sit.