Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Rattles/Tickles/Squeaks: complaints filed, BUYER AWARE

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
After 3 months and 5 trips to dealerships, I decided to file complaints against Kia as I have exhausted all options. Next step will be arbitration-small claims court. The rattles and tickles and squeaks are driving me mad.

For potential buyers, BE AWARE of the issues.

Other issues I have experienced includes failed entire spark plug coils and plugs, and shaky HUD unit that is similar to the known issue in Genesis G70.

Attached is my complaint filed in both Office of the Illinois Attorney General consumer protection and U.S. DOT National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for potential structural safety concerns.

I bought the car used from Naples INFINITI a year ago and the car started to developed 3 different rattles and creaks at sunroof, body frame near A/B pillar, and rear axle.

Being a 2018 model, the car is well within the 5 year bumper to bumper warranty from manufacturer (transferable). I went to local Kia dealer, Napleton's Kia of Urbana, for 4 times to get it diagnosed or repaired with no results. They could not figure out the problem, and a corporate tech rep came to examine the car and claimed it is within specs and needs no repairs. Till now, I have exhausted all options provided by dealership or corporate customer support, and I was refused to be serviced or assisted anymore.

The rattling and tickling are very obvious, and are widespread issue confirmed by owners on internet forums. Some dealership in USA and Canada have even diagnosed and repaired the issue.

My following email sent to service manager Josh Berbaum at Kia's dealership in Urbana summarized the issue, attached as follows.

Hi Josh,

Thanks for you help today, and attached are reported issues and fix done other Kia dealers. I believe we can agree on there is at least one type of creaking-rattling sound, from moon roof area when going over imperfections on road.

I have 3 rattles/creaks from different areas, all are not rare according to consumers. There are many posts about it in the forum below, and long term reviews from major auto media all pointed it out as well.

One of them could be structural , I hope it could raise the awareness of Kia USA. I'd like to have an idea on how soon shall I expect replies as well, and channels to file complaints over a potential structural issue.

1. Sunroof area creak when going over tiniest imperfections on road, whether it is open or closed.

According to this post, user westcoastGT has his sunroof creak fixed by replacing faulty sunroof rails at North Shore Kia in Canada. They should have this on file and could be helpful on my car's diagnosis.
https://stingerforum.org/threads/go...he-noises-have-gone-so-far.10618/#post-141235

2. Tick around head height near between A pillar and B pillar

According to user Darren1556 in this post, it is indeed a STRUCTURAL issue of the car.

The dealership Gus Revenberg Kia Windsor Ontario Canada first tried the sunroof fix like above, did not solve his issue. Then they did the following:

"It was the joint between the windshield frame and where it meets the top of the a-pillar. Having my roof completely exposed the tech stuck something in the bad joint and the noise was gone. I'm not sure if they put a spot weld in the end or tweaked the metal permanently."

https://stingerforum.org/threads/creaking-noise-driver-side-dash-area.3355/page-2

3. Thud sound from rear when going over moderate bumps.

This one happens not so often and seems to be a newer issue as mileage accumulates. I'd like to have the previous two issues fixed before diving into this one.

https://stingerforum.org/threads/re...mps-not-the-ballbearing-in-a-can-sound.10534/

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Sorry to hear about your issues.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Sorry to hear your having issues with your car and the dealership is screwing you.

OP
M
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
Thread Starter #4
Dealership is willing to help, but they can only follow a set protocol made by Kia. Our mechanic is not a Stinger expert, everything he does has to be approved by corporate office. It is the corporate office that not acknowledging the issue and be of no help. I'd say my experience at this local dealership is positive.

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Sorry to hear man, keep us posted how the arbitration goes.

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
21 Miata club (me), 19 GT1 (wife)
Doesn't hurt to be a squeaky wheel hopefully you get a good result, but I don't think lemon laws cover rattles. Check out this rattle which was in a previous car 2015 GTI https://youtu.be/emliQUqKCNo took 9 trips to the dealer over 1.5 years to get that fixed. At one point they tried to say they couldn't do anything more about it but I persisted and they eventually fixed it. The only reason to share is to say if you think your rattle is loud I bet you the GTI has it beat. I think it's an issue common with pop up sunroofs. I had an 06 infiniti, a 01 dodge intrepid and my wife has had odyssey and escape all those vehicles had sunroofs that slid back (not pop up) and they were all deadly quiet.