Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Help ! Kia Stinger Died In the Middle of the road.

Brian B

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT AWD
Help Needed.

On today's afternoon drive home which is about 16 miles each way on the last 2 miles the car suddenly started to sputter and cut power big time in the comfort mode to the point were I was flooring it and it didn't do anything. The car was working its way up a slight Hill and simply couldn't power its way up the hill and got stuck with all of the sputtering of the engine. Note that there was modest rain in Denver but not a ton of heavy rain and it wasn't being driven by any puddles it was driven through the highway I-25 and US 36 up to those last two miles. After I was stuck the car simply would not turn over after 7 attempts. The car started really rough on two attempts but had the worst sounding idle and cylinder misfire I've ever heard of coming out of a car. Had to call KIA road side assistance to have the 2293 mile old kia to the nearest Kia dealership (Grand Kia Colorado )?. This sucks[:(!] got to the dealer after the service department was closed so no loaner or anything. I'm so disappointed right now any advice from anyone who's had any sort of similar problem or dealing with service department from Kia ???[:(][:(]

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 kia stinger gt
that sucks...im sure kia is curious as well as they will take care of it,,,, just bad timing not being able to get a loaner makes it probably seem worse... hang in there[lovekia]

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
Sorry to hear. Do you have the GT or 2.0?

OP
B

Brian B

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT AWD
Thread Starter #4
This is a GT AWD base with drive wise package.

Last edited:
Reactions
City
Beavercreek
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
With no further info - sounds like a coil failed.
Let us know what the dealership says.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
OP
B

Brian B

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT AWD
Thread Starter #7
With no further info - sounds like a coil failed.
Let us know what the dealership says.
Will Update with further news once they give me a call and let me know what they discovered. If Engine/ignition systems or fuel pump, it happened fast and catastrophic enough to kill the engine while in normal driving [phonecall]

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Will Update with further news once they give me a call and let me know what they discovered. If Engine/ignition systems or fuel pump, it happened fast and catastrophic enough to kill the engine while in normal driving [phonecall]
Yes please keep us posted.

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
Thank you, looking forward to hearing what they have to say.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
[unbelieveable] keep us posted

OP
B

Brian B

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT AWD
Thread Starter #11
Update ! Solved

I'm back on the road with the Stinger ! So what happened ?
After the dealership first called me their first assumptions was around the fuel pump since the pressure testing was reading 0 psi.

But it wasn't the fuel pump system... Further investigation into the fuel pump and fuel tank revealed that the tank had nearly no fuel it. How did that happen if the fuel gauge was reading just under half a tank and some 140 miles of range left ?

The answer is the fuel sending unit in the fuel tank became stuck on what was described as a wire that wasn't properly clipped in to the tank( I dont know why there is that wire in the tank but the floating fuel level device became stuck on it and wouldn't go below the half a tank fuel level giving us false fuel level readouts.

So I was driving around thinking I have half a tank left but in reality I was on fumes. ![werd]

Good on the KIA tech for really Diging into this finding the issue, taking it all apart and putting it all back to together before the service center closed for the day. less then 7 hours total , I got my car back the same day with a property functioning fuel tank now [driving]

I have to say I underestimated the service center of that kia dealership ship. From a very old/small frumpy looking KIA dealership, there service guys were on point (Grand KIA of Colorado) good work from them !

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Thanks for sharing this, really scary to know this could happen in a modern car.

I'm back on the road with the Stinger ! So what happened ?
After the dealership first called me their first assumptions was around the fuel pump since the pressure testing was reading 0 psi.

But it wasn't the fuel pump system... Further investigation into the fuel pump and fuel tank revealed that the tank had nearly no fuel it. How did that happen if the fuel gauge was reading just under half a tank and some 140 miles of range left ?

The answer is the fuel sending unit in the fuel tank became stuck on what was described as a wire that wasn't properly clipped in to the tank( I dont know why there is that wire in the tank but the floating fuel level device became stuck on it and wouldn't go below the half a tank fuel level giving us false fuel level readouts.

So I was driving around thinking I have half a tank left but in reality I was on fumes. ![werd]

Good on the KIA tech for really Diging into this finding the issue, taking it all apart and putting it all back to together before the service center closed for the day. less then 7 hours total , I got my car back the same day with a property functioning fuel tank now [driving]

I have to say I underestimated the service center of that kia dealership ship. From a very old/small frumpy looking KIA dealership, there service guys were on point (Grand KIA of Colorado) good work from them !

Ringer

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 AWD Stinger
I just had a very similar experience last night. My 2.0 AWD died while in rush hour traffic. I ended up having to be pushed to the side of the road by a police vehicle! I called roadside assistance for a tow. Needless to say I was very upset. When my husband showed up he suggested we put some gas in it even though it still showed half a tank. I explained to him that of all the sensors that lit up on the dash the gas light was not one of them. We put two and a half gallons in that was donated from a garage nearby. The car started right up and we canceled the tow. I drove the car to the nearest gas station where we put another 14 and a half gallons in. I then drove directly to the Kia dealership where I purchased it. They said they would look at it the next day and when I inquired about a loaner vehicle they said it was too late in the day for that even though it was only 5:30.
Now they are stating they have no idea what happened and that the two fuel sensors seem to be working fine. According to them, there haven't been reports of other Stingers with this issue. They wanted me to drive it around for a few days to get it down to half a tank see if it happens again! I suggested they keep the car until they find out what was wrong with it and get me a loaner.
While on the phone with me the tech support they had contacted told them to drain the fuel tank and check for a few additional possible issues. They decided to do that and would get back to me by the end of the day.
I will update this post when I know more. It just seems odd to me that if there are not one but two fuel sensors how did they both fail?

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
I just had a very similar experience last night. My 2.0 AWD died while in rush hour traffic. I ended up having to be pushed to the side of the road by a police vehicle! I called roadside assistance for a tow. Needless to say I was very upset. When my husband showed up he suggested we put some gas in it even though it still showed half a tank. I explained to him that of all the sensors that lit up on the dash the gas light was not one of them. We put two and a half gallons in that was donated from a garage nearby. The car started right up and we canceled the tow. I drove the car to the nearest gas station where we put another 14 and a half gallons in. I then drove directly to the Kia dealership where I purchased it. They said they would look at it the next day and when I inquired about a loaner vehicle they said it was too late in the day for that even though it was only 5:30.
Now they are stating they have no idea what happened and that the two fuel sensors seem to be working fine. According to them, there haven't been reports of other Stingers with this issue. They wanted me to drive it around for a few days to get it down to half a tank see if it happens again! I suggested they keep the car until they find out what was wrong with it and get me a loaner.
While on the phone with me the tech support they had contacted told them to drain the fuel tank and check for a few additional possible issues. They decided to do that and would get back to me by the end of the day.
I will update this post when I know more. It just seems odd to me that if there are not one but two fuel sensors how did they both fail?
Thanks for sharing this, please keep us updated.

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
interesting experience. Glad there was a crack mechanic whom figured it out as that's not what anyone would have guessed. Good job kia service! Curious if more people have the same issue...

Ringer

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 AWD Stinger
Update:
In the afternoon they tell me they cannot check the sensors in the gas tank because they have to have a special tool for that and they are having it shipped overnight. They come and pick me up and take me to the rental car office so I have a vehicle. Yesterday they call me in the afternoon to tell me there's too much fuel in the gas tank so they can't check the sensors and they can't drain any out They want to keep the car and drive it around for a few days. That would be probably at least a hundred miles they need to put on it. The service counter guy asks if it's okay if he takes it home and then have someone drive it around the following day. I decided that wasn't okay and I told them I will come and drive it around for a few days and bring it back.
After I turn in the rental car, after putting gas in it, I get to the dealership. The guy I've been dealing with for 2 days is nowhere in sight. Actually there is no other person Insight in the service department at all other than one young guy who's obviously very nervous. He starts fumbling around looking for my paperwork. He tells me they adjusted a fuel baffle and that everything was under warranty and they're having the car brought around now. I asked about the sensors and all he does is read the paperwork back to me again and asked me to sign it. The paperwork states that I claim the gas gauges weren't working. It doesn't mention anything about the car dying and the fuel sensors never coming. I asked to speak to the guy I have been dealing with for the last few days and am told he's not available. The young guy then goes to take me out to my car where I see the guy outside. I request he updates the information on the service sheet stating that the car completely died and that the gas tank was completely empty due to no gauges letting me know the actual amount of gas. He gets very upset with me at this since he now has to rewrite everything. He can't just add it to the closed out order. I wait until he updates the order sheet. When I tell him I will see him in a few days after I get the gas down to less than half a tank he tells me I don't need to bring it back in unless I think the gauges aren't working again! Just a half an hour earlier he told me they needed to check the sensors after the fuel tank was half emptied. So now I'm just supposed to keep track of my miles to make sure that I don't run out of gas again!! I am not sure what I should do at this point. Should I call the service manager and ask if the fuel sensors were even checked? Do I drive it around until the gas tank is to the point it was last time the sensors failed and then take it back?
Suggestions?

Strtaylor

Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
Update:
In the afternoon they tell me they cannot check the sensors in the gas tank because they have to have a special tool for that and they are having it shipped overnight. They come and pick me up and take me to the rental car office so I have a vehicle. Yesterday they call me in the afternoon to tell me there's too much fuel in the gas tank so they can't check the sensors and they can't drain any out They want to keep the car and drive it around for a few days. That would be probably at least a hundred miles they need to put on it. The service counter guy asks if it's okay if he takes it home and then have someone drive it around the following day. I decided that wasn't okay and I told them I will come and drive it around for a few days and bring it back.
After I turn in the rental car, after putting gas in it, I get to the dealership. The guy I've been dealing with for 2 days is nowhere in sight. Actually there is no other person Insight in the service department at all other than one young guy who's obviously very nervous. He starts fumbling around looking for my paperwork. He tells me they adjusted a fuel baffle and that everything was under warranty and they're having the car brought around now. I asked about the sensors and all he does is read the paperwork back to me again and asked me to sign it. The paperwork states that I claim the gas gauges weren't working. It doesn't mention anything about the car dying and the fuel sensors never coming. I asked to speak to the guy I have been dealing with for the last few days and am told he's not available. The young guy then goes to take me out to my car where I see the guy outside. I request he updates the information on the service sheet stating that the car completely died and that the gas tank was completely empty due to no gauges letting me know the actual amount of gas. He gets very upset with me at this since he now has to rewrite everything. He can't just add it to the closed out order. I wait until he updates the order sheet. When I tell him I will see him in a few days after I get the gas down to less than half a tank he tells me I don't need to bring it back in unless I think the gauges aren't working again! Just a half an hour earlier he told me they needed to check the sensors after the fuel tank was half emptied. So now I'm just supposed to keep track of my miles to make sure that I don't run out of gas again!! I am not sure what I should do at this point. Should I call the service manager and ask if the fuel sensors were even checked? Do I drive it around until the gas tank is to the point it was last time the sensors failed and then take it back?
Suggestions?

This sounds like a Dealership specific service department issue and hopefully isn't putting a bad taste in your mouth for the Kia brand in and of itself. Kia as a brand does everything in its power to make sure service customers are 1st priority. For instance there is a "Test Drive" and Service Loaner program that the manufacturer allows dealerships to participate in for instances such as this. When I ran our Kia store we had 15-20 of these vehicles specifically for our service loaner customers. I apologize that you are having such a bad experience with this specific dealer. From your description there customer service at this dealer is abysmal. My advice to you, depending on your location of course, would be to go to a different Kia dealership. If one is not located close to you I would call Kia customer service and tell them about your experience. Places like this give the entirety of the car business a bad name and it is outrageous that any gm would allow the service department to be run in this fashion. In summation, I would never go back to that dealership if you have any other even remotely viable options in your area. If your current location is correct it looks like you have 3 within a short distance.

Sunset Kia of Auburn(4.5 rating on google)

Kia of Puyallup (4.6 rating on google)

Car Pros Kia Tacoma. (4.3 Rating on google)

I am not sure if any of these are the ones you went to or if you are even in that location anymore but I would take it to one of the other dealerships. Hope things go better for you! Keep us posted!

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Update:
Suggestions?

The dealer sounds very incompetent, I would call KIA Premium Concierge 855- 454-2847 ext 45345 and inform them of this.

Ringer

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 AWD Stinger
After my complaint to the service manager on 11/19, he ordered a fuel sender lever to be installed when I come in for the engine computer (another Stinger recall). this is the first time I've ever heard of this part. I wonder if this was the original part that said they originally had when I had too much fuel in the tank for them to install it! The service guy calls me on the 20th to tell me both parts are in. When I request a loaner they tell me they won't have one available until 12/3!
So I took the car in this morning got the loaner and verified they had both parts they need. They call me at 3 in the afternoon today to tell me the engine computer has now been installed in the car is "all put back together" but they have to order a new fuel sender and it won't be in until Wednesday! They asked if I want to keep the loaner or pick up the car and bring it back on Wednesday. I decide to keep the loaner and when I inquire as to why we have to order a new part the service guy says he doesn't know!

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 Stinger GT2 AWD
After my complaint to the service manager on 11/19, he ordered a fuel sender lever to be installed when I come in for the engine computer (another Stinger recall). this is the first time I've ever heard of this part. I wonder if this was the original part that said they originally had when I had too much fuel in the tank for them to install it! The service guy calls me on the 20th to tell me both parts are in. When I request a loaner they tell me they won't have one available until 12/3!
So I took the car in this morning got the loaner and verified they had both parts they need. They call me at 3 in the afternoon today to tell me the engine computer has now been installed in the car is "all put back together" but they have to order a new fuel sender and it won't be in until Wednesday! They asked if I want to keep the loaner or pick up the car and bring it back on Wednesday. I decide to keep the loaner and when I inquire as to why we have to order a new part the service guy says he doesn't know!
U need to drive to a different Kia dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk