Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Hackjob (Sort of) Downpipe + 2-Cat Delete

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
Sooo, I'm a little slow getting the K&N Intake pics posted mostly because I wanted that 400HP mark...

I had my exhaust guy slap together some piping I picked out from Summit Racing and do a 2-cat delete (as we all know, there are 4 cats: two bolted to the turbos, and two bolted at the ends of the downpipe). What you're about to see looks jenky because the polished 304 stainless bends were on sale and cheaper than the non-polished 409 stainless bends. But because I was clearly trying to be cheap, the non-polished 409 straights were cheaper then the polished 409 straights. Trust me, I'm not proud of it, but for $450 total (parts + labor), the top-end gains were worth it:

Now that your eyes have been hurt, there are some interesting things to note about doing a 2-cat delete downpipe setup.

1) My setup is definitely custom: you can see that the S-bend is almost entirely removed. This reduces pipe length and restriction, and my exhaust guy felt that the mounts were sufficiently stiff enough that the 3/4" clearance I had with the chassis would never be a problem. So far, he's proven correct. You'll also notice that one side is actually further out than the other, and my exhaust guy got caught off guard after making two identical downpipes. I didn't even notice it at first, either, but looking at the factory ones also shows that the bends are slightly different on each side. Strange, because I didn't notice they weren't identical until I actually had the factory downpipes in my hands.

2) The loss of low-end and mid-range torque is off-putting. However, over a few dozen miles, the ECU adjusts, and you find yourself getting used to the more linear pedal feel instead of that "quick" accelerating lurch that 99% of cars from the factory come like. It does make the pedal feel "heavy", though. Not physically, but engine-response wise.

3) The gain in top-end power starts around 4K RPM, and combined with my catback and intakes, makes the 1-2 shift significantly harder to catch on the paddles/shifter. However, since every shift thereafter stays above 4K RPM, the increase in pull at this range is incredible and could easily equate to 400HP. I plan on getting a "baseline" dyno before I move forward with more aggressive mods like the chip and ECU tune I have planned.

4) Your engine and exhaust will become significantly louder. I noticed more growl in my exhaust, and resonance points are significantly more of a rumble than a vibration. The engine at full throttle is signficantly louder, too, as you're generating a lot less backpressure and a lot more pipe noise just underneath the firewall.

All-in-all? A downpipe + 2-cat delete brings out some power for sure. It makes your car growl more and pulls noticeably harder above 4K RPMs.

And no, I don't have any jokes for this 2-meow neutering mod. [8]

Last edited:

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
are there supposed to be photos of the install? Just curious since you mentioned our eyes being hurt.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
I don't think it looks bad, what cat-back are you running?

OP
Z
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #4
are there supposed to be photos of the install? Just curious since you mentioned our eyes being hurt.
Uhhh, that's weird, the photo got removed... Let me try to re-attach it. It was there, though, I swear... o_O

I don't think it looks bad, what cat-back are you running?
Per my first major thread, Magnaflow, lol

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Now it is there. It doesn't look as bad as you make it seem. Hardly anyone looks under there anyways.

Looking forward to some sound clips.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
I still can't see pictures...

OP
Z
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #7
Now it is there. It doesn't look as bad as you make it seem. Hardly anyone looks under there anyways.

Looking forward to some sound clips.
There won't be any for the downpipe. I do plan on getting a baseline dyno done in the not-too-distant future, and I'll be recording it for sound clips, of course [:o]

I still can't see pictures...
The picture is definitely there... [8]

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
There won't be any for the downpipe. I do plan on getting a baseline dyno done in the not-too-distant future, and I'll be recording it for sound clips, of course [:o]

The picture is definitely there... [8]
Probably cause of the .gov computer. Still can't LOL

OP
Z
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #9

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Reactions
City
Beavercreek
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Is there an O2 sensor downstream of the second cats?

Reactions
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2, 2004 MSM
no O2 sensor downstream of the 2nd cat

OP
Z
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #13
Is there an O2 sensor downstream of the second cats?
no O2 sensor downstream of the 2nd cat
Not sure if you saw, but the person above just answered it. You won't throw any codes. The secondary cats are specifically to further reduce tailpipe emissions and the engine doesn't read any data from these two at all.

Reactions
City
Beavercreek
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
WooHoo!
[;)]

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 Stinger GT2 RWD White
Do we even need the secondary cats for emissions? If my 2011 Mustang GT would pass with only two cats, then shouldn't we be OK emission wise the two primary cats?

OP
Z
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #16
Do we even need the secondary cats for emissions? If my 2011 Mustang GT would pass with only two cats, then shouldn't we be OK emission wise the two primary cats?
Depends on where you live: if there's an inspection, you won't pass. If you're unlucky, you won't pass the tailpipe test depending on your other mods, either.

I saved my factory downpipes: it's a simple bolt-off bolt-on process to swap the factory ones back on when smog time comes around in 7 years.