Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Kia Stinger PS573 Radio Fade is no longer centered

ghedoicy

Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT RWD
I went back Saturday... Gave me more bs. I finally had to go into pissed off customer mode. It's on order with no ETA.

-Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
I called the Kia Concierge number the other day because, on three occasions, I've started the car and gotten virtually no audio from any source - radio, bluetooth, etc. (if you turn it up to max you can barely hear it, though still muffled). They told me about PS573 and that my head unit needed to be replaced. Not thrilled about having the dash torn out for it, so I've not pressed it. Told my service writer about it today because I was there for an oil change. He didn't think they'd replace it unless they could reproduce the problem.

OP
robz32

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #43
I had that same issue just before I decided to have the radio replaced. NO audio from any input. I actually recorded a video and showed it to the service adviser.

Have not had any problems since the unit was replaced though.

ghedoicy

Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT RWD
False alarm! Just got a call from the service manager interrogating me and asking me to explain why I think I deserve a new radio since I didn't turn off the two items in the note. I said first off, those don't say to turn them off as part of testing, I stated again that it means that's normal operation and to not replace just because of the fade in those instances. I said those are features that I am unwilling to disable.

Had a screaming match over the phone when he told me to come in (a third time) to get some info off the radio. I emailed him a picture of the software screen... I'm sure that is all they needed, but I will report back. I am losing my patience.

-Matt

K8AR

Reactions
State
AR
Country
United States
False alarm! Just got a call from the service manager interrogating me and asking me to explain why I think I deserve a new radio since I didn't turn off the two items in the note. I said first off, those don't say to turn them off as part of testing, I stated again that it means that's normal operation and to not replace just because of the fade in those instances. I said those are features that I am unwilling to disable.

Had a screaming match over the phone when he told me to come in (a third time) to get some info off the radio. I emailed him a picture of the software screen... I'm sure that is all they needed, but I will report back. I am losing my patience.

-Matt
Make sure you mention that when Kia sends you a service survey.

OP
robz32

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #46

-Matt
WHAT???.....That is ridiculous, I don't understand why some dealers make it so difficult for some owners to get some warranty work done. It's not like they will not get paid for it.
Do you have any other dealer that you can go to?

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
I had that same issue just before I decided to have the radio replaced. NO audio from any input. I actually recorded a video and showed it to the service adviser.

Have not had any problems since the unit was replaced though.
Did the new unit have upgraded software? I'm wondering if that might fix the problem.

ghedoicy

Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT RWD
Did the new unit have upgraded software? I'm wondering if that might fix the problem.
It is updated, but apparently not updatable on it's own. Waiting for mine to arrive in stock at the dealer.

-Matt

OP
robz32

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #49
[MENTION=328]Kazz[/MENTION] that is correct. The actual firmware was updated. However the map software version stayed the same as that is upgraded via the sd card.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ghedoicy

Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT RWD
[MENTION=328]Kazz[/MENTION] that is correct. The actual firmware was updated. However the map software version stayed the same as that is upgraded via the sd card.

Several have come away with the updated maps as well. Must just be getting the newer SD card.

-Matt

OP
robz32

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #51
Most likely, as the only way to update it is through the SD card.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
I'm just wondering if the HU replacement is truly necessary if new firmware fixes it. Man, I don't want them tearing out our dash.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
I'm just wondering if the HU replacement is truly necessary if new firmware fixes it. Man, I don't want them tearing out our dash.
To your point, when they replaced my HU (yes, it really is necessary at the moment, which is insane), they accidentally forgot to reconnect one of the wires, leaving the ambient lighting above the glovebox not working. Took me a while to figure out the timing, but when I took it back in I suggested it may have happened by accident when they replaced my HU, and when I picked up the car, they acknowledged that this was exactly what happened.

Fixing the ambient light issue simply required opening the HU area and plugging the wiring back in.

On the other hand, I haven?t had any rattles or other issues since the HU replacement FWIW.

OP
robz32

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #54
Correct. As of now the only solution is replacing the HU.

Mine was replace almost 4 month ago and have not had any issues with rattling.

Keep in mind that these plastics are still new and are still flexible. These are not 5-10 year old parts that have stiffen up.

OP
robz32

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #56
They are in perfect shape [cool]

gregc

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Kia Optima SX Turbo
Stopped by my dealer today - I'm having the fade-to-rear issue. Service advisor took my word and ordered a replacement head unit, should be in end of the week. He promised to have a loaner car for me.
Will update on my experience.

-Greg C

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
E46, ZE132, C6Z06, Z34, GSX30, CKGT
This just happened to me last week. I reset the fade and the symptom hasn't returned.

Dan

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Acura TLX
Stopped by my dealer today - I'm having the fade-to-rear issue. Service advisor took my word and ordered a replacement head unit, should be in end of the week. He promised to have a loaner car for me.
Will update on my experience.

-Greg C
Just be advised that they will swap it with a re-manufactured unit. It's the main reason I'm holding off on this repair.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
I came to this issue just today but mine fades out on the driver's side speakers. I tried to restart the car multiple times but didn't seem to help. I have an appointment this week so let's see what the dealer has to say.