Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Car and Driver In Depth Review

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Nice review. Funny how they also mentioned "At-the-limit handling can be iffy, " suspension as being a low. [MENTION=148]Steve O[/MENTION]

OP
Stingin' Away

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #3
Nice review. Funny how they also mentioned "At-the-limit handling can be iffy, " suspension as being a low. [/MENTION]
I think it may be a bit too cushy for some enthusiasts but I am not going to criticize since it's their first attempt at a sports car. They did well

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I think the key is that it is designed as a GT, not a sports car. Big difference in engineering philosophy. A GT is intended for long distance driving. A sports car is made to throw around an obstacle course with no consideration to creature comforts and a sparsity of amenities. The Stinger weighs 4,000 lbs.

OP
Stingin' Away

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #5
I think the key is that it is designed as a GT, not a sports car. Big difference in engineering philosophy. A GT is intended for long distance driving. A sports car is made to throw around an obstacle course with no consideration to creature comforts and a sparsity of amenities. The Stinger weighs 4,000 lbs.
I agree for the most part. These tests they are doing only helps the Stinger's appeal to a broader consumer demographic. Sports cars can be anywhere from a NA Miata to a Corvette Grand Sport to a Porsche 718. Sports cars now-a-days give all the creature comforts of a family sedan, hold the stiff spring rate and handling. People want more in cars that use to be only sport oriented. I wish the Miata was still a bare bones sports car. A couple features that may be needed in the winter if it is a DD but other than that, strip in down and sell it below the other trim levels. In my opinion, the Stinger, in each trim level, is an exceptional GT car. I would love to eat up miles in it.. But that's why I got the Genesis lol

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Saab 9-5 AERO. Stinger GT on order
C'mon guys. A GT is comfortable at speed. Not soft. Actually the Stinger is comfortable at speed because when i'm going 140K (90 mph) it's nice. The problem is doing 100K (60 mph). I think marketing insisted 'Americans like the Buick ride' and Albert dialled in the adaptive programming to stiffen up too late in the speed range. Don't forget, Buick is THE CAR to have in China. And the Stinger is too soft under 80 mph. I'm standing by for a software fix/patch/upgrade/hack...

OP
Stingin' Away

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #7
C'mon guys. A GT is comfortable at speed. Not soft. Actually the Stinger is comfortable at speed because when i'm going 140K (90 mph) it's nice. The problem is doing 100K (60 mph). I think marketing insisted 'Americans like the Buick ride' and Albert dialled in the adaptive programming to stiffen up too late in the speed range. Don't forget, Buick is THE CAR to have in China. And the Stinger is too soft under 80 mph. I'm standing by for a software fix/patch/upgrade/hack...
Not sure what you mean by soft. My Genesis is soft, even in Sport mode, but it is very stable at speeds over 100 (went to Mexico). I'm sure the Stinger is even more stable than that. I got the GT AWD that I drove to about 80 and it was very stable. The review probably meant throwing it around corners, hence the "limit" adjective. 80-100 mph isn't anywhere near a limit of the Stingers.