Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Kia Stinger Hatch/Trunk Rattle TSB With New Parts

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Seat Leon 2001
Thx for the information

Gretz Slwy

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Great share Kazz.

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
[MENTION=148]Steve O[/MENTION] said that he had the same problem. Tagging him in so that he can get the pads replaced.

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Nice job [MENTION=328]Kazz[/MENTION] glad Kia found the solution fairly quickly.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Saab 9-5 AERO. Stinger GT on order
Thanks for chiming me in [MENTION=160]CajunStinger[/MENTION]. I had major rattle problems. I reset the extendable feet and much was addressed. Then it was still there but sounded different. So I pulled up the trunk pad and relocated the lug nut wrench the dealer put in for the lock nut kit. Then the knock was different and I pulled up the trunk pad and I removed the multi tip screwdriver I keep in all my cars in the handy spare tire tray. Then the knock was different and I pulled up the trunk pad and saw the small vice grips I keep in all my cars was in a different part of the spare tire tray and upon relocating the knock was gone until a certain temp and a certain bump and it came back. Now I'm going to take it to the dealer and get that knock dealt with once and for all!!!
In general, the spare tire tray is a very tinny plastic (if that can be said of plastic) so don't put anything in the wells that can move. They will cause knocks and rattles.

mbaldwin

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
New to the forum and i have a brand new stinger and it rattles in the hatch.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
New to the forum and i have a brand new stinger and it rattles in the hatch.
Open the hatch and twist the bump stops counter clockwise to tighten the back door.

rockinray

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Mine has this problem too. I?ll take it to the dealer and have it corrected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger / 2017 Camaro SS
Thanks for chiming me in [MENTION=160]CajunStinger[/MENTION]. I had major rattle problems. I reset the extendable feet and much was addressed. Then it was still there but sounded different. So I pulled up the trunk pad and relocated the lug nut wrench the dealer put in for the lock nut kit. Then the knock was different and I pulled up the trunk pad and I removed the multi tip screwdriver I keep in all my cars in the handy spare tire tray. Then the knock was different and I pulled up the trunk pad and saw the small vice grips I keep in all my cars was in a different part of the spare tire tray and upon relocating the knock was gone until a certain temp and a certain bump and it came back. Now I'm going to take it to the dealer and get that knock dealt with once and for all!!!
In general, the spare tire tray is a very tinny plastic (if that can be said of plastic) so don't put anything in the wells that can move. They will cause knocks and rattles.
I've gone through the same exact thing.. I took mine to the dealer and had them perform the TSB.. It doesn't rattle as badly, but there is still a rattle over larger bumps.. I have taken everything that isn't strapped down out of the rear and spare time area.. Ugh.

rockinray

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
This is too bad to read. Maybe an additional modification will be needed.

I?m waiting for a call to go have the TSB done on my stinger and will report back once it has been completed.

While I was test driving another car, I noticed the noise and they then did the TSB on that one. An additional test drive did not produce any rattle but it was -10 F when I drove it. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Hopefully those that took their Stingers in for the TSB request to have the pads replaced and washers added too.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Kia Optima SX, 1972 911 Targa
<< started a new thread on this but asked it to be deleted / archived. joining this thread instead >>

I have less than 500 miles on my 2.0T Premium AWD Stinger. I noticed two things right away about the sport back / hatchback area:

1. With the hatchback area empty, I can hear window creaks and other similar noises at times going over bumps in the road.
2. I usually have a cue case with 3 pool cues plus golf clubs in my car. When I had my 2012 Optima SX, I could not hear any noise from items moving around in the trunk area. That is very different with the Stinger, as I can hear items moving, etc. over bumps and making sporty turns.

What is everyone's experience with the situations I listed above? I did call my local Kia dealer about the first one, and there is a TSB for very, very early Stinger hatchbacks to get new bushings, washers, etc.

TIA,

Scott

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
I just had the service bulletin for the hatch done by the dealer. So far the hatch has still knocked a couple of times over certain bumps but when it's -15 C or 10 F what can you expect. The bumpers are frozen solid. I still had to turn out the rubber feet more than the spec and the dealer said not to worry about backing them out as much as needed to eliminate the creaking. So the creaking has stopped. I know it will come back if the temp drops to -20. That's rare enough to not bother me. It's rare for the temp to go below -7C in these parts. WTF?

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Could try a dab of silicone grease on the bumpers. The lubrication may solve the creaking issue.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
Hopefully those that took their Stingers in for the TSB request to have the pads replaced and washers added too.

Thanks for posting, [MENTION=8]StingerMike[/MENTION]!

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
So.. I had no rattling, they did the TSB anyway, and now it rattles like crazy.

I've tried silicone grease, various pieces of foam tape, etc. The only thing that works is turning out the bumpers until they are about to fall out.

From what I can tell, it's the latch making the noise.

#FFS

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
I had the service too. Still he odd knock. Still cold weather though. Thanks for the spec on the adjustable bumpers. I'll check that today.