Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

change shifter on Premium 2.0T?

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Kia Optima SX, 1972 911 Targa
My 2.0T Premium AWD is en route from the Port of Tacoma to Kirkland, WA. I'm thinking of upgrading / changing the AT shift knob and assembly. How easy would this be? Anyone seen aftermarket options that would fit? Can I put an Optima SX one on?

TIA,

Scott

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
VW Golf
Doesn't look that hard. From the Optima it pops right out, I would think its the same on the Premium Stinger.

[video=youtube;bwhwnBnmprs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwhwnBnmprs[/video]

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Why not use the shifter from the Stinger GT2? Should be a direct fit.

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Why not use the shifter from the Stinger GT2? Should be a direct fit.
The GT2 uses a shift by wire whereas the other trims still use standard cables so it'll make it more difficult to retrofit.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
The GT2 uses a shift by wire whereas the other trims still use standard cables so it'll make it more difficult to retrofit.
Really??!!

I would think all modern automatics are fly by wire to the transmission's ECM. Are they two different 8 spds?

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Really??!!

I would think all modern automatics are fly by wire to the transmission's ECM. Are they two different 8 spds?
Same transmission, Kia claims the drive by wire is slightly faster at shifting and less wear and tear. I think its more of a luxury feature.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Interesting. Wonder if there's any difference in the paddle shifter response?

OP
S
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Kia Optima SX, 1972 911 Targa
Thread Starter #8
Got my Stinger Premium AWD 2.0T in silver yesterday. What a great car and everyone at the dealership (including me) loved how the exterior lines show up so nicely in the silver and go so well with the Premium 18" rims. The silver / black interior is quite a nice match also. Still looking at shift knob options as I manual shift the car (makes a noticeable difference with the driving experience).