Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Spoke With a Senior KIA Executive

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Audi A4
I was able to speak with a senior executive from KIA several days ago about the equipment omissions on Stingers released in the U.S. and about the issue of the virtually nonexistent choice of interior colors.

He said the decision to omit the 360 view camera system and other equipment in the U.S. was a marketing decision, though he really couldn't explain the rationale for this decision. He also said KIA is sensitive to consumer feedback and that KIA has been receiving considerable feedback about consumers wanting to have this camera system available on the Stinger. However, he also said making this and other equipment changes to the Stinger won't take place before release of the 2019 model which is expected to take place around the middle of 2018.

With regard to the virtually non-existent interior color choices, again he said don't expect any changes until the 2019 models become available, if then. I pointed out that KIA's media site continues to say that gray and red interiors are an option on the GT2 and that some interior color options are available on other Stingers.

He apologized about this and said this will be corrected immediately, but as of today KIA's media site still says optional interior colors are available for some Stingers. With such a long lead-in time for the introduction and release of the car, it's very disappointing that KIA has caused so much confusion and frustration within the customer base it is trying to attract.

In my opinion, it makes no sense to release an upmarket car and attempt to upgrade the company's image in the marketplace while simultaneously displaying a basic failure to even provide accurate and complete product information to this base of potential customers. And pointedly removing key and desired features from the Stinger in the U.S. market is disrespectful and insulting to this same customer base. To me, KIA's failure to even address and correct these (ongoing) issues just further exacerbates this situation. Whatever success KIA has with the Stinger likely will be less than it would have been if KIA had not created and then failed to quickly remedy these issues.

What do you think?

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Civic Si Coupe
As stated in another thread a couple of days ago, Kia seems ok with the current situation and fully intended from the start to offer more options for the car in the 2019 model. I agree about your points on the marketing. Very similar to the release of the Civic Type R, a car I actually had a deposit on until I pulled after finding out the U.S. version is a stripped down version with no extras at all. At least Kia isn't going to that extreme just to get the car over here. I'm glad I can wait for the 2019 but it's going to be really frustrating to some people who buy the 2018 and then see the changes/additions for the 2019 (assuming that's what they do...).

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
I completely share your sentiments towards this whole deleting of features fiasco, especially the 360 camera.

With regard to color options, I noticed that on Kia's website, they finally added a features section which has a better break down of choices.
https://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/stinger/2018/features

Sadly though, the site still shows the wireless charging feature inside the interior view.

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
Did he mention if these missing features will be standard on the MY19 or optional add-ons?

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Civic Si Coupe
Did he mention if these missing features will be standard on the MY19 or optional add-ons?
He didn't go into any specifics. Just stated missing options will be on the 2019.

Reactions
State
DC
Country
United States
I was able to speak with a senior executive from KIA several days ago about the equipment omissions on Stingers released in the U.S. and about the issue of the virtually nonexistent choice of interior colors.
[...]
What do you think?
Completely agree with everything you said. Any chance you could reveal a little more about how you had the opportunity to speak to this executive? Is it something others might have access to, or any recommendations on how to provide feedback to Kia through a channel they are monitoring (forums, Facebook, Kia website, etc)? I've seen their communications director participating in threads on Facebook, but his very short replies have never seemed particularly receptive to criticism of the missing features. Maybe that's related to their inability to explain the marketing decisions that led to this situation for the '18s.

raytrix

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
could they remove the stupid heated steering wheel option out of the AWD requirement and put it for the RWD. Not everyone that lives in the northern states don't know how to drive RWD in the snow. I need that heated steering wheel feature but find AWD useless to me.

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
I?m really glad you were able to air our complaints to Kia and they do take note. Hopefully someone from Kia corporate joins here so we can all ask them more questions.

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Civic Si Coupe
could they remove the stupid heated steering wheel option out of the AWD requirement and put it for the RWD. Not everyone that lives in the northern states don't know how to drive RWD in the snow. I need that heated steering wheel feature but find AWD useless to me.
Probably an option for the '19s (I'm guessing).

raytrix

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
They should just create a separate option trim that can be added onto the each trim that is called "Cold Weather Package" which includes heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, all-weather floor mats.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Thanks for the post treker! Interesting to hear the executives insights. Personally, I think what would have helped KIA in this situation is, they should have just come out with the GT versions. The GT, GT1 and GT2. And have awd and colors the only other options. Sometimes when a car company comes out with something all new, they come out with only the top of the line version for the first six months to a year and then they come out with the lesser versions. Just for this very reason. When you have an all new car and you're trying to get all versions of it to market, then you have delays and certain option packages, features, colors, etc are not available and people are left scratching their heads wondering what's going on. If they just built the top of the line ones, they could focus on one version, get it right and then worry about supply and marketing as time went on. KIA needs time right now and unfortunately they shot themselves in the foot with how it came out. The Stinger is a fantastic car and should sell well but I think KIA bit off more then they could chew in the US market with trying to have so many versions of the car, right off the bat. I originally wanted to get one right away but if I'm laying down 53 large for one, I want exactly what I want. Especially when some of the options that should be on it in the first place, are currently on the 900 and Optima. I can wait.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Agreed 100% with you. Kia had the right formula with the stinger but the execution has left a lot to be desired, features that competitors have on their vehicles as standard, and that the stinger was supposed to have, as stated on their press release, are nowhere to be found in the "Final" production model. I do hope Kia can get their act together because I went from, I need to have it now to I can wait and see how it goes.

raytrix

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Thanks for the post treker! Interesting to hear the executives insights. Personally, I think what would have helped KIA in this situation is, they should have just come out with the GT versions. The GT, GT1 and GT2. And have awd and colors the only other options. Sometimes when a car company comes out with something all new, they come out with only the top of the line version for the first six months to a year and then they come out with the lesser versions. Just for this very reason. When you have an all new car and you're trying to get all versions of it to market, then you have delays and certain option packages, features, colors, etc are not available and people are left scratching their heads wondering what's going on. If they just built the top of the line ones, they could focus on one version, get it right and then worry about supply and marketing as time went on. KIA needs time right now and unfortunately they shot themselves in the foot with how it came out. The Stinger is a fantastic car and should sell well but I think KIA bit off more then they could chew in the US market with trying to have so many versions of the car, right off the bat. I originally wanted to get one right away but if I'm laying down 53 large for one, I want exactly what I want. Especially when some of the options that should be on it in the first place, are currently on the 900 and Optima. I can wait.
I too am part of that 1% crowd ready to drop 53k on a car because my 2015 Mazda 3 was burned down the ground in November. I currently borrowing a car from my father and was ready to purchase a Stinger GT2 in Decmber but with them omitting the 360 camera now I have to wait another 6 months Car-less just for the damn 360 camera feature. This is very frustrating when I am in a situation in need of a replacement car to my burned down Mazda.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
I too am part of that 1% crowd ready to drop 53k on a car because my 2015 Mazda 3 was burned down the ground in November. I currently borrowing a car from my father and was ready to purchase a Stinger GT2 in Decmber but with them omitting the 360 camera now I have to wait another 6 months Car-less just for the damn 360 camera feature. This is very frustrating when I am in a situation in need of a replacement car to my burned down Mazda.

Sorry to hear about your 3. What happened???

Reactions
State
DC
Country
United States
...now I have to wait another 6 months Car-less just for the damn 360 camera feature.
Man, you sure are optimistic about 6 months. I'd love to see that too, and certainly not unheard of, but still really a long-shot that '19 models would be out in June/July, and without supply-chain bottlenecks. Good luck to both of us...but you might want to pick up a cheap beater or something, unless your dad is really supportive. (Fortunately, I already have a beater that I can bridge the gap with.)

Reactions
State
DC
Country
United States
They should just create a separate option trim that can be added onto the each trim that is called "Cold Weather Package" which includes heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, all-weather floor mats.
The package you propose certainly makes sense. I'd love to see some ? la carte options to restore some of the missing features. I'm not saying they'd be cheap, but sure would be nice to be able to retro-fit OEM cameras or charging pads on any model. I understand why car manufacturers have to offer individual options in package groups, but I don't understand why they won't offer/support OEM hardware options for dealer, aftermarket, or even do-it-yourselfer installations.

OP
T
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Audi A4
Thread Starter #18
No, he didn't specify this, though my impression was it would be part of the equipment package included with the designated model(s). In any case, this far out, what additional features will be available is fluid and he in particular was addressing the 360 camera system and interior color options.

OP
T
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Audi A4
Thread Starter #19
Completely agree with everything you said. Any chance you could reveal a little more about how you had the opportunity to speak to this executive? Is it something others might have access to, or any recommendations on how to provide feedback to Kia through a channel they are monitoring (forums, Facebook, Kia website, etc)? I've seen their communications director participating in threads on Facebook, but his very short replies have never seemed particularly receptive to criticism of the missing features. Maybe that's related to their inability to explain the marketing decisions that led to this situation for the '18s.
I did some research online and found his phone number, left him a message, and he returned my call. I would encourage others who feel the same way about how KIA is marketing the Stinger in the U.S. to contact KIA to provide their feedback and express their displeasure directly to KIA.

While KIA might have to make some inventory adjustments to accommodate some of our requests, the cars probably already have the wiring in place to handle the 360 camera system and there shouldn't be any technical issues involved with providing some interior color options. KIA shouldn't delay making these changes until the 2019 models are released!

This forum could be a great advocate for the Stinger and help to disseminate information about the car to others. However, KIA's missteps have shifted much of the forum's focus to finding alternative vehicles to purchase and discussing putting off purchasing a Stinger until KIA resolves the issues we have been writing about.

KIA quickly acknowledging and remedying these issues is simply smart and good business which will quickly result in KIA selling more Stingers, and this is great (and free) advertising for the vehicle.

raytrix

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Sorry to hear about your 3. What happened???
Parked the car after 1 hour drive. Come out 1.5 hours later to see it in flames just parked there. No arson, it was from the factory engine harness that short circuited when I turned the car off.