Welcome to Kia Stinger Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you use to wash your Kia Stinger?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brush

3 18.75%
  • Mitt

8 50.00%
  • Sponge

2 12.50%
  • Other

3 18.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts
    State
    UT
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you use to wash your Kia Stinger?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    What do you guys normally use to wash your car?

Brush

Mitt

Sponge

Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts
    State
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use both a brush and microfiber mitt. If you plan to use a brush make sure you invest in a nice quality boars hair brush, anything else may potentially cause fine scratches on your paint.

Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    State
    IL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Don't rub the paint! Get a quality paint protection, use touchless washes, and use microfiber cloths with professional detailer for anything stubborn.
    2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT(2) AWD
    2010 Acura TSX
    2003 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII
    1995 Mazda Miata

5 Rep Points
    Medals
    Made First Post  
    State
    AL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you elaborate on the paint protection? What would you recommend? And what do you mean by touchless washes? Like driving it through a car wash that only does the high pressure wash?

Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    State
    IL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Art9681 View Post
    Can you elaborate on the paint protection? What would you recommend? And what do you mean by touchless washes? Like driving it through a car wash that only does the high pressure wash?
    The product my detailer used last year on my previous car and will be using on my new Stinger is called a Ceramic Nano coating. There are a number of products out there, so do your homework. But basically they performed deep cleaning, decontamination, polishing, and prep work before applying the coating. I went with the 5yr coating. I'm in a smaller metro area and didn't want to drive the 3+ hours to a large city to find someone. These guys do and did awesome work. They gave me instruction on keeping it in the best shape, etc.

What it boils down to is, if nothing touches the paint but proper car wash soap, water, and spray detailer, you'll have the best results for years to come. Obviously, if you park outside, in a dirty environment, etc., you're going to have stuff land on the car and become more difficult to remove. I was advised to just keep gently rubbing with the detailer and proper microfiber towels. So yes, spray-only washes. I try to use that as much as possible even with my wife's unprotected car. Otherwise, I'll use the manual wash bay and use their brush after rinsing it out as much as possible, trying to apply as little pressure as possible to get the job done.

I'm no expert and often am lazy about my homework on a topic. Car paint and finish care is almost a religious thing. So you find those who promote what they believe to be "the best" everywhere, with lots of variations. I didn't have a lot of choices, but have been very happy NOT having a multi-function shop do the work and getting someone who uses professional products, has the facilities and tools, even if it's a part-time thing for them.

Hope this helps!
    2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT(2) AWD
    2010 Acura TSX
    2003 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII
    1995 Mazda Miata

Medals
    Made First Post  
    State
    NJ
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
    The product my detailer used last year on my previous car and will be using on my new Stinger is called a Ceramic Nano coating. There are a number of products out there, so do your homework. But basically they performed deep cleaning, decontamination, polishing, and prep work before applying the coating. I went with the 5yr coating. I'm in a smaller metro area and didn't want to drive the 3+ hours to a large city to find someone. These guys do and did awesome work. They gave me instruction on keeping it in the best shape, etc.

What it boils down to is, if nothing touches the paint but proper car wash soap, water, and spray detailer, you'll have the best results for years to come. Obviously, if you park outside, in a dirty environment, etc., you're going to have stuff land on the car and become more difficult to remove. I was advised to just keep gently rubbing with the detailer and proper microfiber towels. So yes, spray-only washes. I try to use that as much as possible even with my wife's unprotected car. Otherwise, I'll use the manual wash bay and use their brush after rinsing it out as much as possible, trying to apply as little pressure as possible to get the job done.

I'm no expert and often am lazy about my homework on a topic. Car paint and finish care is almost a religious thing. So you find those who promote what they believe to be "the best" everywhere, with lots of variations. I didn't have a lot of choices, but have been very happy NOT having a multi-function shop do the work and getting someone who uses professional products, has the facilities and tools, even if it's a part-time thing for them.

Hope this helps!
    So you don't recommend ever going to a standard car wash? How do you feel about the Meguiars waterless car wash spray?

Staff Team 60 Rep Points mldavis2's Avatar
    Medals
    State
    MO
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have never had access to the expensive "coatings," but I've never had a car in a carwash, either. Spray washes do not remove all of the very fine grime from even waxed surfaces, and they seldom if ever do a good job on the wheels/tires. In recent years I have used Black Magic silicone "wax" (silicones are not really waxes like carnuba) and the associated Black Magic car wash soap with a lamb's wool mitt. Sadly, they don't make that wax any longer, so I'll be trying others. It's always a good idea to use the car wash soap that is formulated to preserve their wax. Drying is with a chamois to strip beads from the surface and a final drying with a microfiber cloth. My 13-year old GTO looks like new even though it stood outside all day for about 8 of those years at work.

One thing that must be removed as soon as possible are bugs from the front. I'm not sure what chemicals (amino acids of course) are in bug-juice, but they will etch the finish if left alone for weeks at a time between washings. And of course any industrial pollutants should be removed by frequent washing. In the summertime, I frequently will clean the insects and apply a quick coat of wax after each wash to the vertical surfaces in front. It makes the bugs much easier to remove after a gentle soaking and light wiping with the mitt.

The coatings are popular with many people so I can't "diss" them, but my system works for me and it's sure a lot cheaper, even using expensive waxes.
    '18 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD 19" HiChroma Red / Black Nappa
    '08 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L LS96
    '05 Pontiac GTO 6.0L LS2 6-speed Bright Blue metallic / Blue leather
    '00 Pontiac GrandPrix GTP 3.8L (supercharged)
    '96 Pontiac TransAm 5.7L
    '93 Pontiac GrandAm Quad4 HO
    '89 Olds Calais International Quad4 HO
    Anything before that you don't want to know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast