Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Kia Stinger - 2018 Motor Trend Car of the Year Finalist

Kia Stinger News

Staff Member
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
South Korea

We Like: Stunning design, stirring performance, strong value

We Don't Like: Porpoises a bit, noisy over rough roads, interior doesn't match snazzy exterior

Kia's Stinger was one of six all-new contenders for COTY this year, and other than the Model 3, it was the most anticipated. Since the Stinger's debut at the 2017 North American International Auto Show, Kia has been pretty mouthy about how its four-door coupe would lay wurst to the brats from Audi and BMW. Does it live up the hype? Oh ja.

"The Europeans better watch out because for a first effort at building a BMW beater, the Kia Stinger is impressively accomplished," MacKenzie noted. Markus seemed to agree in his notes: "As grand touring conveyances go, this one ranks pretty highly in terms of grace, space, and pace. Korea is delivering German grand-touring performance at a substantial discount. High marks."

Opinions split on the performance of the turbo-four Stinger and twin-turbo V-6 GT. Some preferred the tactile handling of the less nose-heavy base model over the faster and power-slidable but heavier GT. Knocks? A few judges had issues with the lack of premiumness of the interior, especially when compared against the widely praised stance, surfacing, and overall design of the exterior. Rough, uneven roads also brought out complaints of pitching, porpoising, and road noise.

Read more on Motor Trend.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Acura MDX
The Stinger is going to bring the title home for Kia.

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Surprising that the heavier AWD GT got better mileage and stopped shorter than the RWD. And speaking of mileage, I hope they were beating the snot out of them, seeing as none of the trio cracked 20 mpg in the city.

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Motor Trend normally factors in price when determining the winner. If you look at the Stinger's competition, all of them cost considerably more which should mean an easy victory for Kia.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
The Stinger should win M&T car of the year! Their latest comments leaves the door open for them to choose another car but I'd bet money the Stinger wins! I just hope they base it on a production car and not a pre production car.

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
As much as I'd love for the Stinger to take it, I have a feeling it's going to be either the Model 3 or the Alfa Romeo. The Tesla breaks new ground and seems good to drive, and they've always loved the Alfa, since it's dynamically at the top of the class.

We'll see soon....