Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

RaceChip USA Kia Stinger Tuning

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Stinger GT
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger / 2017 Camaro SS
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Interested in hearing feedback from owners of the racechip black?

Last edited:
Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
GT2
I was waiting for the Race Chip to be released and I ordered it on the 15th of March. I had some delays in getting my order but Tim Gruber from day one has been outstanding and I will probably give a longer full review of the whole ordeal but all I can say is BUY IT!

If you thought you couldn't love your Stinger any more you are wrong. Install this in 15 minutes (10 of them just waiting per instructions). If you enjoy driving your Stinger "Normal" or if you DO NOT enjoy pulling up to a light and telling someone in a Mustang GT or SRT8 (forget about a regular BMW 335i or G37 too slow) nice car! Is it fast? And they look at you like you are an idiot in a Kia but when the light changes and they are left behind and they try as hard as they can and you walk them they get mad! Then you probably don't want this.

Keeping in mind I have the AWD and it's been rather chilly and rainy in GA lately so it's not exactly fair but what is fair considering they are mostly V8's. But when conditions are right the Stinger on paper is a little slower until the RACE CHIP. Don't waste your time or money with the lower levels get the GTS Black. If you are afraid when you press the accelerator that your KIA will blow up do not get this because it will scare you.

If you are scared of anything of the unknown just stop thinking about it and asking dumb questions about things like tuning and the reputable companies themselves. You may be stupid but don't show it. Do some research on these products, the companies, their reputations, please ask questions to the more informed posters and the manufactures and tuners/installers but stop with the "how does it work" , "it's just snake oil", I'm not going to directly quote some of them not to hurt their feelings and realize people go to forums for various reasons but please read and educate and experience things instead of wasting peoples time with stupid questions. Whoever said there is no such thing as a stupid question is wrong. Anyway I do not have 0-60 times, 1/4 mile, any dyno, or have not even used my torque app set up to compare before and after because I don't need it. What I need is something I can feel and you can feel this. Not just a "seat of the pants" dyno either.

It cracks me up all these people spending $400 for an intake and $1600 for an exhaust (do I wish my Stinger sounded more like my BMW X3 M40i in sport plus mode yes but it probably never will) that's $2000 and your car is much noisier and you get maybe 30hp and 30 pound ft lb and if you have a problem how are you going to take it off every time you visit the dealer. There is one guy out there taking off his whole exhaust to get 400 hp and it sounds like shit. Do not get me wrong I appreciate these risk takers on any new platform who push the envelope and show how far you can go before it breaks. I have modified many cars but always after I had many choices available to me and got much feedback from the early adopters.
Then you learn the week link in the car itself. If you are thinking about this spend the $800 and you will love it. If you don't love it you can sell it here or other forum for probably $600. When I have time I will post some hard numbers for people who really need them but for those who just need some encouragement order it today. Do not get the lower levels. If $200 or $300 more makes or breaks you, you probably shouldn't own a $40,000 to $50,000 car.
If you really can't afford it wait and save for the GTS Black. Also I do not work for Race Chip and I paid for mine. I did receive the $100 Forum discount after I placed my order which shows what a great company they are. Can I or anyone guarantee you will not ever have a problem with your car? No, but Race Chip is a first Rate Company and KIA makes a great product. I have had 5 Kia's and driven the shit out of all of them and never had major problem and minor things were fixed without any issues under warranty. When I mean driving the shit I mean maintaining the vehicle always but literally pushing the car whether driving my 2012 or 13 optima SX 155mph to top speed ( couldn't believe it )or pulling a trailer in my Soul ! or Sorento SX while driving to high rpm's all day.

I will try to update after vacation on true results.

jononeil

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
Great review, sorry I had to break your paragraph up so I can read it easier. I kept losing the spot where I was reading at LOL.
I was waiting for the Race Chip to be released and I ordered it on the 15th of March. I had some delays in getting my order but Tim Gruber from day one has been outstanding and I will probably give a longer full review of the whole ordeal but all I can say is BUY IT!

If you thought you couldn't love your Stinger any more you are wrong. If you enjoy driving your Stinger "Normal" if you do not enjoy pulling up to a light and telling someone in a Mustang GT or SRT8 (forget about a regular BMW 335i or G37 too slow) nice car! Is it fast? And they look at you like you are an idiot in a Kia but when the light changes and they are left behind and they try as hard as they can and you walk them they get mad!

Keeping in mind I have the AWD and it's been rather chilly and rainy in GA lately so it's not exactly fair but what is fair considering they are mostly V8's. But when conditions are right the Stinger on paper is a little slower until the RACE CHIP. Don't waste your time or money with the lower levels get the GTS Black. If you are afraid when you press the accelerator that your KIA will blow up do not get this because it will scare you.

If you are scared of anything of the unknown just stop thinking about it and asking dumb questions about things like tuning and the reputable companies themselves. You may be stupid but don't show it. Do some research on these products, the companies, their reputations, please ask questions to the more informed posters and the manufactures and tuners/installers but stop with the "how does it work" , "it's just snake oil", I'm not going to directly quote some of them not to hurt their feelings and realize people go to forums for various reasons but please read and educate and experience things instead of wasting peoples time with stupid questions. Whoever said there is no such thing as a stupid question is wrong. Anyway I do not have 0-60 times, 1/4 mile, any dyno, or have not even used my torque app set up to compare before and after because I don't need it. What I need is something I can feel and you can feel this. Not just a "seat of the pants" dyno either.

It cracks me up all these people spending $400 for an intake and $1600 for an exhaust (do I wish my Stinger sounded more like my BMW X3 M40i in sport plus mode yes but it probably never will) that's $2000 and your car is much noisier and you get maybe 30hp and 30 pound ft lb and if you have a problem how are you going to take it off every time you visit the dealer. There is one guy out there taking off his whole exhaust to get 400 hp and it sounds like shit. Do not get me wrong I appreciate these risk takers on any new platform who push the envelope and show how far you can go before it breaks. I have modified many cars but always after I had many choices available to me and got much feedback from the early adopters.

Then you learn the week link in the car itself. If you are thinking about this spend the $800 and you will love it. If you don't love it you can sell it here or other forum for probably $600. When I have time I will post some hard numbers for people who really need them but for those who just need some encouragement order it today. Do not get the lower levels. If $200 or $300 more makes or breaks you, you probably shouldn't own a $40,000 to $50,000 car.

If you really can't afford it wait and save for the GTS Black. Also I do not work for Race Chip and I paid for mine. I did receive the $100 Forum discount after I placed my order which shows what a great company they are. Can I or anyone guarantee you will not ever have a problem with your car? No but Race Chip is a first Rate Company and KIA makes a great product. I have had 5 Kia's and driven the shit out of all of them and never had major problem and minor things were fixed without any issues under warranty. When I mean driving the shit I mean maintaining the vehicle always but literally pushing the car whether driving my 2012 or 13 optima SX 155mph to top speed ( couldn't believe it )or pulling a trailer in my Soul ! or Sorento SX while driving to high rpm's all day.

I will try to update after vacation on true results.

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
GT2
No problem makes sense and thanks for the compliment and making paragraphs for me. Sometimes I get wrapped up and forget someone is going to read it.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thanks for the candid review [MENTION=751]PAULSTINGERGT[/MENTION], I look forward to reading more on your results. And to be absolutely clear you are using stock plugs?

Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
Are you 100% sure no spark plug change needed? Also if removed can dealer detect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[MENTION=444]RaceChip[/MENTION] can you confirm this for the 2.0 too?

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
GT2
I have not changed the plugs as not required by Race Chip. I was considering it but will probably wait and do it well before the recommended schedule for hard use and upgrade to the HKS. I get 93 octane here which is standard 87 reg 89 mid 93 high, I believe. My car has 2700 miles since Jan 1. I have about 300 miles with the Race Chip. I removed it when I took it in for the brake issue then put it right back on because I missed it already. I am not paranoid but don't want any issues with warranty even if it was the brakes. I will change my own oil but the first one is on the house ( not normally free for the stinger at the dealer I purchased from but after 5 Kia's they do treat me special)and I will do it at 3 months 3000 miles and probably 6 months and 5000 miles after that just because of the hard use.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
I have not changed the plugs as not required by Race Chip. I was considering it but will probably wait and do it well before the recommended schedule for hard use and upgrade to the HKS. I get 93 octane here which is standard 87 reg 89 mid 93 high, I believe. My car has 2700 miles since Jan 1. I have about 300 miles with the Race Chip. I removed it when I took it in for the brake issue then put it right back on because I missed it already. I am not paranoid but don't want any issues with warranty even if it was the brakes. I will change my own oil but the first one is on the house ( not normally free for the stinger at the dealer I purchased from but after 5 Kia's they do treat me special)and I will do it at 3 months 3000 miles and probably 6 months and 5000 miles after that just because of the hard use.
Great, appreciate the response Paul.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Thanks Paul

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Great review [MENTION=751]PAULSTINGERGT[/MENTION] 300 miles with the RaceChip and no spark plug issues sounds very promising, considering the latest events with other chips. Sounds like RaceChip got their mapping done correctly.

OP
Kale808

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #95
Great review [MENTION=751]PAULSTINGERGT[/MENTION] 300 miles with the RaceChip and no spark plug issues sounds very promising, considering the latest events with other chips. Sounds like RaceChip got their mapping done correctly.
Agreed this is very promising. Thanks [MENTION=751]PAULSTINGERGT[/MENTION]

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Stinger GT
We will update our recommendation, because Kia in some cases has issues with their spark plugs in combination with bad fuel quality:

Kia Stinger stock spark plugs are designed for good fuel quality. If used with bad or medium fuel quality (91 or lower), in rare cases the spark plugs might get damaged no matter whether the car is tuned or not. For optimum performance and security of the spark plugs, it is beneficial to re-gap the spark plugs to 0.024-0.028 (from stock 0.034-0.036). Beyond that, suitable performance aftermarket spark plugs with a gap of 0.024-0.028 will improve performance and security.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
[MENTION=444]RaceChip[/MENTION], to be absolutely clear your tune doesn't require aftermarket plugs and just regap stock plugs right?

Is the regap required if you are running 93 or higher octane?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
I have the same questions as above too.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Me too

Reactions
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 Micro Blue
Waiting on the same answers. We have 93 octane here.

We will update our recommendation, because Kia in some cases has issues with their spark plugs in combination with bad fuel quality:

Kia Stinger stock spark plugs are designed for good fuel quality. If used with bad or medium fuel quality (91 or lower), in rare cases the spark plugs might get damaged no matter whether the car is tuned or not. For optimum performance and security of the spark plugs, it is beneficial to re-gap the spark plugs to 0.024-0.028 (from stock 0.034-0.036). Beyond that, suitable performance aftermarket spark plugs with a gap of 0.024-0.028 will improve performance and security.