Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Big Turbo Thread

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Reserved for upcoming information.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I wonder how the factory turbo's are sized. Would they be similar to a supra RZ twin turbo arrangement where theres a small and larger turbo's working together?

I've had a couple of Subaru WRX STI's with single turbo's and i'm not feeling any progression from the low to high end (unlike the old supra) which is really nice, no lumpiness and just pulls once the boost arrives.

I can feel a redline acceleration coming soon I've almost done run in.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
I wonder how the factory turbo's are sized. Would they be similar to a supra RZ twin turbo arrangement where theres a small and larger turbo's working together?

I've had a couple of Subaru WRX STI's with single turbo's and i'm not feeling any progression from the low to high end (unlike the old supra) which is really nice, no lumpiness and just pulls once the boost arrives.

I can feel a redline acceleration coming soon I've almost done run in.
I remember reading that both turbos are the same size. Would love to see more tuners producing big turbo kit options in the future.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
2 turbo's. The same size. 1 on each bank. I think I read somewhere that they are small but I couldn't tell you more than that.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
The Stinger uses Rockwell twin spool turbos in the GT's. There are two inlets to the turbo, one from each of two of the 3 cylinders on each bank. (The 3rd cylinder is vented directly into the exhaust.) Twin spool turbine inlet wheels are "stepped" or graduated in diameter and each cylinder is sent to one of the two different diameter locations. This way there is a more uniform boost - a quicker boost from one and a stronger boost from the other once the wheel speed is increasing. The turbines are small which decreases mass and increases response time.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
The Stinger uses Rockwell twin spool turbos in the GT's. There are two inlets to the turbo...
Thank you that sounds awesome, modern turbos have come along way! Whats the PSI / bar that they run I'll try and watch the small gauge in the dash.

My old sti turbo with downpipe and exhaust would peak to 1.4 bar until the waistgate took it down a little, that was a different peeky 2L engine and wouldnt want to go back. Must be my old age LOL

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I haven't really had time to drive the 3.3T because my car doesn't get here for 2 more weeks, but from a short test drive and from performance data from respected reviewers, it obvious that this engine has a lot of torque at lower RPMs and the computer seems to do a very good job of keeping the car within the torque band and not the horsepower band, which is why it is so much faster than it's specs suggest. And I'm thinking that the specs might be a bit conservative as well as most reviewers who have the ability to actually measure 0-60 times are getting a tenth or three better than 4.7 sec.

Compare the Stinger with the Lexus RC500 which I've done elsewhere. Granted the LC500 is about 350 lbs. heavier. It advertises 471HP and 398 lb./ft. torque with a 0-60 (C&D) of 4.5 sec. The Stinger advertises 365HP and 376 lb./ft. of torque (only 22 lbs. less) and a C&D 0-60 of 4.4 sec. So the big horsepower numbers might sell a $105,000 car to brand snobs, but performance is essentially identical at half the price. (You can find those specs on the Car & Driver web pages)

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
The stock PSI for the GT stingers is set at 9 psi.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
Hi Midavis.. Funny my GT stinger has Honeywell Garret written on both turbos.

If some one knows the exact info ie are they T3 or T4 and inlet outlet size, will I then buy the same inlet outlet size in bigger garrett turbos and fit them .

Just need the info on the existing ones as cant find it anywhere.

Kindly

Phil

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
The downpipes show that the passenger inlet on the downpipe (thus the outlet on the turbo housing?) is larger than the driver's side. Also, they're not round.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 KIA STINGER GT
My Stinger also has the Garrett Honeywell turbos and I am pretty sure (but could be wrong) the boost gauge on the Stinger I test drove said at least 16 psi as I gunned the throttle lol. I just remember the boost being close to but not surpassing 20 psi. I will be surprised if the boost is only 9 psi...heck I hope that is all it has considering the car feels amazing at whichever boost it is currently running.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
The stock PSI for the GT stingers is set at 9 psi.
Are you sure its at 9psi? I would think its more in the 12psi ranger.

Imp8ient

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2008 G8 GT
Hey, first time posting. Not an owner yet, waiting for 2019 model. I generally like to do my homework prior to purchasing the car I want. The Kia Stinger or its 2019 brother, G70, will be my next car. I drive an ?08 G8 GT and it has been modified since the first day I bought it new. I?m looking for the model number on these turbos for these vehicles. I know based off of this thread that they are Garret Honeywell?s, but I dont know which ones in particular. I have little knowledge on turbos at the moment in comparison to most others and I am researching everything I can on this vehicle, right now the turbos. I?m hoping this block is built well and that it isn?t at its limits, because like some other members here 500hp isn?t enough for me in this day and age. In a nutshell, I want to know what stock is, what an upgraded pair would be or even if a single upgraded unit will be beneficial for this vehicle. Thank you to anyone that can let me know which model/model number turbos are being used and further insite on upgrading from stock turbos.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
Hey, first time posting. Not an owner yet, waiting for 2019 model. I generally like to do my homework prior to purchasing the car I want. The Kia Stinger or its 2019 brother, G70, will be my next car. I drive an ?08 G8 GT and it has been modified since the first day I bought it new. I?m looking for the model number on these turbos for these vehicles. I know based off of this thread that they are Garret Honeywell?s, but I dont know which ones in particular. I have little knowledge on turbos at the moment in comparison to most others and I am researching everything I can on this vehicle, right now the turbos. I?m hoping this block is built well and that it isn?t at its limits, because like some other members here 500hp isn?t enough for me in this day and age. In a nutshell, I want to know what stock is, what an upgraded pair would be or even if a single upgraded unit will be beneficial for this vehicle. Thank you to anyone that can let me know which model/model number turbos are being used and further insite on upgrading from stock turbos.
Hello and welcome from Miami. I believe the Stinger is running the GTX3076 turbos.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Hello and welcome from Miami. I believe the Stinger is running the GTX3076 turbos.
Are you crazy. That's a huge turbo. Stock turbo are more like gt1740-52s. Might be able to do a stock frame upgrade to a 54/76 compressor wheel

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
I spoke with John over at Tork who's been tearing their Stinger apart for research and development. He said the turbo is probably the Garrett GT1756 and the drivetrain should be good for 1100nm or around 800 ft lbs

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I spoke with John over at Tork who's been tearing their Stinger apart for research and development. He said the turbo is probably the Garrett GT1756 and the drivetrain should be good for 1100nm or around 800 ft lbs
Golden!

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
Are you crazy. That's a huge turbo. Stock turbo are more like gt1740-52s. Might be able to do a stock frame upgrade to a 54/76 compressor wheel
That's what I remember reading on social media, if I'm wrong then I apologize.