Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Catch Can Thread

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
car has roughly 15k miles now. Top is PCV with the usual amount of oil, bottom is the breather which finally caught some oil courtesy of the JB4 [burnout]

Attachments

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
car has roughly 15k miles now. Top is PCV with the usual amount of oil, bottom is the breather which finally caught some oil courtesy of the JB4 [burnout]
[MENTION=46]STINGER[/MENTION], what mapp are you running your JB4 on mostly? It's interesting to see the breather side is wet.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
[MENTION=46]STINGER[/MENTION], what mapp are you running your JB4 on mostly? It's interesting to see the breather side is wet.
I am usually on MAP 2, occasionally run MAP 3 but haven't gone beyond that. I am sure in stock form the breather side will collect oil over time, it depends on the driving style and even the level of oil can affect, if you overfill it will collect more. However in my case I think it is because of the increased boost which will naturally cause more blow-by etc, so both the PCV and Breather OCC's will collect more making them more important to have at this stage.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
[MENTION=46]STINGER[/MENTION] Thanks a lot for the link. Will be ordering everything today.

Agreed at higher boost the more important these Cans become.

Reactions
City
Tacoma
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD
Bought my cans from the K8 Stinger Store and got them installed by my (non-dealer) mechanic. Looks great.. he even made a bracket for it. They look great.. looking forward to seeing the results..

IMG_3672.jpg

IMG_3673.jpg

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Bought my cans from the K8 Stinger Store and got them installed by my (non-dealer) mechanic. Looks great.. he even made a bracket for it. They look great.. looking forward to seeing the results..

View attachment 1477

View attachment 1478
That's a beautiful install. You should get him to produce those brackets, there might be a market for them.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Looks great [MENTION=1355]GT2InSeattle[/MENTION], what did they charge you for the install and bracket?

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Installed mine a week ago.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I ordered the single can with dual inlets. Patiently waiting. LOL

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Reactions
City
Tacoma
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD
Looks great [MENTION=1355]GT2InSeattle[/MENTION], what did they charge you for the install and bracket?
Two hours labor + Parts and the custom bracket.. about 350.. tax included. And honestly to not have to bother with it, totally worth it.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Installed mine a week ago.

Looks excellent. cant make out the writing on the cans, what brand is it?

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
They are from racetronix.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
I ordered the single can with dual inlets. Patiently waiting. LOL

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
That setup will not work for the Stinger. You need a can for each side.

It will built up crank pressure thru the vent line and blow out the dipstick making a mess. Leave the stock vent line as is. Or run a second can on it. DON?T hook it up with the PCV line.?

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
That setup will not work for the Stinger. You need a can for each side.

It will built up crank pressure thru the vent line and blow out the dipstick making a mess. Leave the stock vent line as is. Or run a second can on it. DON?T hook it up with the PCV line.?
Really??? I asked [MENTION=77]Paul@K8StingerStore[/MENTION] here on his forum thread (https://www.kiastinger.org/forum/th...led-Dual-Inlet-Oil-Catch-Can-K8-Stinger-Store) about this. He says on his description that all is okay.
[MENTION=321]robz32[/MENTION], did you see this?

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
I did see that, and he is wrong.

[video=youtube;crtBxMYMtPs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crtBxMYMtPs[/video]

Read the comments.

Also listen to Tork's explanation of how the system works and why you will have issues with only one can.

[video=youtube;p_rs9TCj6PY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_rs9TCj6PY[/video]

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Really??? I asked [MENTION=77]Paul@K8StingerStore[/MENTION] here on his forum thread (https://www.kiastinger.org/forum/th...led-Dual-Inlet-Oil-Catch-Can-K8-Stinger-Store) about this. He says on his description that all is okay.
[MENTION=321]robz32[/MENTION], did you see this?
The breather outlet should not see any pressure, either it is open to the air or better yet it should get some vacuum which is why it is directly routed to the turbo inlet from the factory which sees suction causing vacuum. If the breather is shared with the PCV which can pressure out air, it will be a problem if the breather outlet got any of that pressure, when it does get pressure the air will have no were to go and can cause problems, usually the first way out for that pressure is the dipstick popping. Like robz32 said, get two separate OCC's and treat them as two separate systems that they are. The catch cans robz32 used are very good, just like radium engineering that I am using but way cheaper.

Or you can use the dual OCC that you have, just block one of the inlets and use it as a normal OCC and get another standard OCC. If you can only do one OCC at this stage, do the PCV first as the majority of the oil comes out from that side.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Okay. So boost blows into the crank. Gotcha.

The factory set up is the intake connected to the PCV. How is this instance not happening naturally then? (please excuse my ignorance. LOL)

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Okay. So boost blows into the crank. Gotcha.

The factory set up is the intake connected to the PCV. How is this instance not happening naturally then? (please excuse my ignorance. LOL)
The factory setup is,
1. PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) = OEM setup is PCV (Valve) is connected to the intake manifold. If the car is under boost, then the PCV will close, if pressure pre-PCV is greater than intake manifold pressure or if you are off boost essentially in vacuum the PCV will open and dump into the intake manifold. By adding the OCC in between it will catch whatever waste that is being released by the PCV before going into the intake manifold. Because there is pressure/boost in this system, it is important the OCC and connections are completely sealed so that no boost is lost.

2. Vent/Breather = OEM setup is connecting the vent to the driver intake pipe going to the turbo. The vent is just to relief any pressure build-up and to supply the crankcase with air so that if the PCV releases air the vent/breather will supply clean air in its place, sometimes oil will come out if their is excess pressure or even excess oil due to overfill etc. This vent should not see any pressure/boost, the way it is connected from the factory is in the intake pipe before the turbo so in fact it is getting vacuum assist when the turbo sucks air.

With the dual setup, if both the PCV and breather/vent are connected in the same system and then you get pressure, the PCV will be closed and it will be directed to the breather/vent hence the problem.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Would like to keep things discreet and easier to remove, will this work? Add 1 to each line so a total of 2. oilsep_4.825-1.jpg