Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Which Kia Stinger trim will you purchase?

Which Kia Stinger trim will you purchase?

• Base

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Premium

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • GT

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • GT1

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • GT2 / Limited

Votes: 34 54.8%

• Total voters
Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Yeah, thanks. I really didn't need to hear that. [mecry]

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Kia Optima SXL
Yeah, thanks. I really didn't need to hear that. [mecry]
Haha. Don?t weep too soon buddy. I?m sure they?re quickly catching up with some of the demand. I can tell that dealers in Okla. are having a tough time selling the GT2 AWD. Most are going for GT1 or GT?s in RWD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Mazda6 Touring ? Soul Red

[MENTION=176]Kiagal[/MENTION], I'm in a toss-up towards the 2.0L Premium vs the GT. I'd equip both with the Drive Wise package. The 2.0L Premium offers quite a lot of stuff, but I'm not a sun-roof guy, and the GT does come with some goodies also, so I'm a bit split... The 2.0L - in theory - gets better gas mileage, but Car and Driver tested it, and it only AVERAGED 19mpg! I've inquired as to whether it has been broken in yet (500 miles or more) or not. That would make a massive difference. But it was disconcerting, pushing me towards the GT... Hmmm...

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Haha. Don?t weep too soon buddy. I?m sure they?re quickly catching up with some of the demand. I can tell that dealers in Okla. are having a tough time selling the GT2 AWD. Most are going for GT1 or GT?s in RWD.
I did a lot of research including looking at every car on every dealer lot for 500 miles around and came up with nothing. Too many all-black which is impossible to keep clean in the dusty MidWest and too hot in the summer. Quite a few GT2's in black. A couple GT1's but either RWD or no DriveWise package, never both. I would have considered a bright blue but my GTO's bright blue and the wife likes red. So I ordered exactly what I wanted. Such is the price you pay to get exactly what you want. I'm amazed that there were no cars like that pre-ordered sitting on lots. I don't know if Kia guessed at what to stock, or if dealers ordered without thinking much about it. It seems that a lot of sales managers are not really car people and often pretty clueless what will sell. Lots of GT2's now that are sitting on lots because dealerships are greedy and won't come off of MSRP or even above. No disadvantage in performance on the AWD either launch or top end, just the extra price. And lots of cars around with the smaller 18" wheels which don't seem to be going well, either. My local dealer has had three of them on the lot for several weeks -- won't come off the price to I ordered mine from an Arkansas dealer.

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
I did a lot of research including looking at every car on every dealer lot for 500 miles around and came up with nothing. Too many all-black which is impossible to keep clean in the dusty MidWest and too hot in the summer. Quite a few GT2's in black. A couple GT1's but either RWD or no DriveWise package, never both. I would have considered a bright blue but my GTO's bright blue and the wife likes red. So I ordered exactly what I wanted. Such is the price you pay to get exactly what you want. I'm amazed that there were no cars like that pre-ordered sitting on lots. I don't know if Kia guessed at what to stock, or if dealers ordered without thinking much about it. It seems that a lot of sales managers are not really car people and often pretty clueless what will sell. Lots of GT2's now that are sitting on lots because dealerships are greedy and won't come off of MSRP or even above. No disadvantage in performance on the AWD either launch or top end, just the extra price. And lots of cars around with the smaller 18" wheels which don't seem to be going well, either. My local dealer has had three of them on the lot for several weeks -- won't come off the price to I ordered mine from an Arkansas dealer.
In the Pacific NW dealers have 4-8 most GT2 AWD models and some 2.0L Premiums. GT1's and GT's are very hard to find. I don't believe it is because GT and GT 1's are being sold in quantity, rather, it's that the dealers are getting shipped a lot of GT2 AWD models...

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD Aurora Black
In the Pacific NW dealers have 4-8 most GT2 AWD models and some 2.0L Premiums. GT1's and GT's are very hard to find. I don't believe it is because GT and GT 1's are being sold in quantity, rather, it's that the dealers are getting shipped a lot of GT2 AWD models...
Makes sense. I think most people would go for the GT2 if shown the GT1. (Remember us on here are not "most people")

Smart Power liftgate, heads-up display, more adjustable front seats, ventilated seats, nappa leather, DLB headlights, Shift by wire, LSD. Lots of stuff you get for that extra $4,000, plus no more of an increase in price to account for a warranty on all of that. Was worth it to me when I picked it out.

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
Makes sense. I think most people would go for the GT2 if shown the GT1. (Remember us on here are not "most people")

Smart Power liftgate, heads-up display, more adjustable front seats, ventilated seats, nappa leather, DLB headlights, Shift by wire, LSD. Lots of stuff you get for that extra $4,000, plus no more of an increase in price to account for a warranty on all of that. Was worth it to me when I picked it out.
Congrats! How long have you had it (not to roll too far off the poll post and all)? Any issues?

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD Aurora Black
Congrats! How long have you had it (not to roll too far off the poll post and all)? Any issues?
Thanks. I've had it for a little under a month now, no problems so far! Came from a 440i and I'm much happier.

Reactions
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium
Premium

Reactions
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 Micro Blue
I decided to splurge on this purchase and got the GT2.

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
So worth it!! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
So I'm going after a GT w/AWD and the Drive Wise package, and then a snag. For the few out there with this package, it appears Kia has made the "wise" decision to throw on 18" rims with all-seasons. Ack!... Hopefully someone in Product Marketing will figure it out.

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
So I'm going after a GT w/AWD and the Drive Wise package, and then a snag. For the few out there with this package, it appears Kia has made the "wise" decision to throw on 18" rims with all-seasons. Ack!... Hopefully someone in Product Marketing will figure it out.
[MENTION=456]mldavis2[/MENTION] went through the same issue with his order.

Reactions
State
CT
Country
United States
premium with tech pkg awd silver/red

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Porsche Cayman S
Do you guys know if the 2.0 mpg is better enough to avoid the GT engine? I drive a lot to work worried gas pricing as well...

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
Do you guys know if the 2.0 mpg is better enough to avoid the GT engine? I drive a lot to work worried gas pricing as well...
If you can afford the GT, get the GT. The difference isn't significant to justify the performance difference.

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
Intersting question Genesis, as you seem to be weighing a few diverse areas with the Stinger. I would suggest looking at this one of two ways:

A. Mathematically:

2.0L Stinger: 25mpg average
3.3L GT STinger: 21mpg average
NOTE: RWD but AWD, it's almost a wash, so let's just run with this little exercise here.

Annual Milage Assumption: 15,000 miles-per-year
Average Assumed Cost Per Gallon of Gas: $3.00

2.0L Stinger: $150 for gas per month
3.3L GT Stinger: $179 for gas per month

Annual Gas Savings w/2.0L Stinger: $348

So with the math solution, if you want to save $348 a year (or $29 a month) go with the 2.0L Stinger. If you find that financial figure to be no strain on your budget, lock and load with a 3.3L GT Stinger.

If you are working on punching penny's due to your budget, I completely understand that. And thus, I would suggest you call your insurance agency and see if their is a bigger insurance rate on the GT vs the Base 2.0L Stinger. I am guessing it's probably another $20 a month for the GT or so? Just a guess, but that also adds to the cost of gas, yes?...

NOTE: I didn't even differentiate between regular and higher octane fuels for the GT (which is recommended for better HP, etc...).

All in all, with straight math, the GT "could" run you another $75 a month, just running costs alone (gas+insurance)?...

B. Vehicle Experience:
I've driven both the 2.0L and 3.3L GT Stingers. I was pretty happy with the 2.0L Stinger vs my 183hp Mazda6. It wasn't a dramatic leap but it was pretty fun. But then I went and drove a 3.3L GT Stinger. Wow. It didn't feel heavy or cumbersome like my 2006 Maxima did at all. Rather, it was nimble, powerful, yet solidly planted. I loved it. Perfect for my business road trips (I drive about 25k miles a year).

Will I take a hit with gas prices and insurance vs my current 26/28mph Mazda6 if I go either direction, especially with a GT? Yah, I will. But I can also afford the extra monthly running cost. Just saving to buy the car right now.

I figured, this is the one time I'll get a quasi-performance car, without paying the BMW or Audi sticker prices (which I cannot afford BTW), and avoid all their maintenance costs past warranty (again making those vehicle unaffordable for me), and give the GT a go.

Now, to be transparent, I could back out and revert back to the pretty much all-new Mazda6 Signature series. 250hp, decked to the nines on the interior, amazingly quiet and my current Mazda6 with 105k miles on it is rock solid. ZERO rattles (first car to never have rattles of some sort after 5 years or 100k miles), just an amazing rig that's fun to drive also... Hmmm... Save me about $5k also over a GT w/Drive Wise, and deliver a LOT more features (HUD) heated and cooled, etc...

Still, I'm focusing on the GT w/Drivewise for a major change up, and see how it goes.

IMO - Kia designed the looks of this car, inside and out, amazingly well. And they designed the ride, so folks in Accords, Camry's, Mazda's, etc... could get in and "just drive it" and it would feel sporty and native instantly. No, it's no M-series BMW drive, but 90% of those coming from a mainstream Fusion vehicle would find that ride amazingly stiff and jarring. Not a good long distance or even daily for a lot of would-be buyers. They nailed this car.

Hope that helps! Might have helped me actually! :)

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Thanks for doing the math [MENTION=477]MarkyMark[/MENTION]
However I would like to say that real world driving mpg may differ. In my case, GT2 running 93 octane, I am averaging 25.3 MPG with mixed driving, 40% highway and 60% city.
Just this morning on my way to work I got 27.7 MPG no highway driving and an average speed of 45 mph and lots of traffic lights. Also in comfort mode.