Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

LAP3 USA Kia Stinger Tuning

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
The vehicle has not even been released yet in the US, so how would the tuning companies be able to have the vehicle to begin testing?

I'm sure there will be plenty of companies that will be tuning the Stinger, but in due time. As of now LAP3 making nearly 52hp on the 2.0L and nearly 85hp on the 3.3TT model, that is plently of power for the car.

However, I am sure that some of the bigger tuners will come out here in the US once the car has been out and about for a few months.
That's not always the case though, it really depends on the manufacturer. I remember with my Focus ST, Cobb was already promoting their products well ahead of the launch. I do hope as you said the Stinger will open more doors to getting more tuners involved with Kia.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Kia K900 V8
That's not always the case though, it really depends on the manufacturer. I remember with my Focus ST, Cobb was already promoting their products well ahead of the launch. I do hope as you said the Stinger will open more doors to getting more tuners involved with Kia.
Little different with an American vehicle and an American tuning company. This vehicle is from S. Korea, so it's difficult for American tuning companies to get their hands on one, when even the ones here in the US are not the finished version that will be released here when the vehicle finally does come out. I hear you though, and I hope so too!

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Biggest downside for me on the Lap 3 is that it?s a piggyback system. I still prefer something that does a flash tune, I may still try this though if there?s nothing else on the market.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Kia K900 V8
Biggest downside for me on the Lap 3 is that it?s a piggyback system. I still prefer something that does a flash tune, I may still try this though if there?s nothing else on the market.
I don't see that as a downfall though, at least not for me and the majority of the customers we work with.

When I buy my Stinger, the last thing I would want to do is jeopardize the 10-year factory warranty by reflashing my factory ECU on the vehicle.

With the piggyback setup, it is 100% undetectable on the dealership or manufacturer level, whereas flashing an ECU is something that can be detected.

If the LAP3 Uncle Chip Tune we sell is able to make high horsepower, safely, I see no reason to look elsewhere, but I completely understand that everyone has different preferences.

There will be a LAP3 ECU Tune available as well, it just will be introduced later down the line...

Dan

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Acura TLX
Does LAP3 Uncle Chip have tune updates should you do more mods? Like a stage 1 tune and stage 2 tune?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Kia K900 V8
Does LAP3 Uncle Chip have tune updates should you do more mods? Like a stage 1 tune and stage 2 tune?
That would be considered an ECU tune, which has not been released yet from LAP3 for the Stinger, but I'm sure will be in time.

The LAP3 Uncle Chip Performance Tune does not offer different stages.

Dan

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Acura TLX
That would be considered an ECU tune, which has not been released yet from LAP3 for the Stinger, but I'm sure will be in time.

The LAP3 Uncle Chip Performance Tune does not offer different stages.
I understand it's not an ECU tune, take a look at Burger tuning, their JB4 piggybacks can be purchase in stage 1 or stage 2. Maybe Lap3 doesn't offer it yet but piggybacks aren't alway limited to a single stage.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Kia K900 V8
I understand it's not an ECU tune, take a look at Burger tuning, their JB4 piggybacks can be purchase in stage 1 or stage 2. Maybe Lap3 doesn't offer it yet but piggybacks aren't alway limited to a single stage.
Funny you mention Burger Motorsports, as I know Terry personally and my buddy works at their shop. Good guys over there, I used to have the JB3 on my old 335i. (So very familiar with their product)

That is not different stages though necessarily, that is just what they decided to call it. Technically the same thing could be said about the current LAP3 Chip we sell.

We offer Stage 1 - 89 tune, Stage 2 - 91 tune, and Stage 3 - 93 tune. Each stage will make different amounts of HP.

However, in reality, these are just different octane settings within the chip that can be ajusted to make more or less boost, which in turn makes more or less horsepower. (Might be slightly different on the JB4 then the older JB3 I had)

I do know what you are saying though. However, the chip does it's job by increasing the boost and making more horsepower on the vehicle. If looking for more than what is offered with the chip, one would just have to wait for the full ECU tune to become available.

Dan

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Acura TLX
The JB4 can do much much more than that but we can save it for another discussion.[biggrin]

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Kia K900 V8
The JB4 can do much much more than that but we can save it for another discussion.[biggrin]
Nice, yeah I'm sure a lot has changed with the tuning with them since I had my 2007 BMW 335i with the JB3 on it. ;)

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Kia Optima SX, 1972 911 Targa
Looks interesting. I have a 2012 Optima SX and hope to be trading it in very soon for a AWD 2.0L Stinger Premium.

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Looks interesting. I have a 2012 Optima SX and hope to be trading it in very soon for a AWD 2.0L Stinger Premium.
Very nice, welcome aboard.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Kia Optima SX, 1972 911 Targa
oh, my other fun car...
IMG_1198.jpg
IMG_1644.jpg

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Beautiful 911. My buddy has a 1997 993 and its been appreciating for the last 10 years.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Rio
Great power gains! It's easy when you have a turbo set up. But if you add a ton of power, beware of the weak links in the powertrain and strengthen them.
What weak links are you speaking of for us uninformed. Transmission? What things can be strengthened in the powertrain?

Rennokas

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Estonia
What I Drive
Kia Sportage 2011
About the 2.0 Stinger dyno:
Any idea how much better the 0-60mph / 0-100kmh would be ?
How would it affect the fuel consumption?

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
What weak links are you speaking of for us uninformed. Transmission? What things can be strengthened in the powertrain?
For example; the Optima that Kia runs in the Pirelli WC races with the 415HP are actually snapping the drive axles on occasion. Motor handles it just fine but the axles delivering it struggle.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Taurus SHO with PP
New to this forum
Have a 2013 Taurus SHO with the Performance Package & a 2016 Explorer Sport
Have The latest Livernois Calibrations in both of them
Taurus Will do 0-60 in 3.9 seconds
Love the car except for the following
Been Looking at the KIA stinger GT2 AWD or a loaded Fusion Sport to see if they have more legroom & headroom
I am 6' 5" tall & Taurus does not have enough legroom or headroom with the Moon roof option
Would only consider either of these vehicles if they have more head room & legroom & can be recalibrated to match the performance my Taurus has
Anyone know if they have more interior room[wave]

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Rio
Welcome Mike to the forum!