Welcome to Kia Stinger Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Kia Stinger Age Demographics

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • 16-24 years

10 4.76%
  • 25-34 years

36 17.14%
  • 35-44 years

48 22.86%
  • 45-54 years

67 31.90%
  • 55-64 years

27 12.86%
  • 65 years and over

22 10.48%
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Kia Stinger Age Demographics
37 Likes

Staff Team 61 Rep Points mldavis2's Avatar
    Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    State
    MO
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by kamauxx View Post
    Lol, calm down man. It's just funny.

My wife and kids give me shit all the time when I repeat my stories.
    Yeah, sorry. Sarcasm doesn't read well on the 'net. And at my age, I forget what and where I said things on occasion.
    '18 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD 19" HiChroma Red / Black Nappa
    '08 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L LS96
    '05 Pontiac GTO 6.0L LS2 6-speed Bright Blue metallic / Blue leather
    '00 Pontiac GrandPrix GTP 3.8L (supercharged)
    '96 Pontiac TransAm 5.7L
    '93 Pontiac GrandAm Quad4 HO
    '89 Olds Calais International Quad4 HO
    Anything before that you don't want to know

Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 25 Rep Points  
    Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Likes
    51 years young, last time I had a car that was this much fun was a 91 Toyota MR2 jspec turbo with mods that I sold in 2006. Once I saw the Stinger and drove it I had to have it and don't regret it at all.

Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points
    State
    OR
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting to see how the Stinger is clearly hitting up the mid-life crisis demographic - mostly. Of course, there are not many younger adults that can afford a car like this, unless getting into the leasing game or going into massive debt - or both - and older folks tend to have had their "fun" with sport and enjoy a software, quieter ride - mostly.

It seems the 70's midlife guy was a Thunderbird convertible (AKA Disco Sled) guy, with unbuttoned silk shirt with his "manly" chest hair sticking out, with gold chains galore (the Mr. T Starter Kit). All while trying to suck in the pot belly, wearing a rug or sporting a nice comb-over, while trying to date some young gal...

Today's mid-life-crisis guy still appears to be bent on sports power, but now it requires family functionality, thus the hatchback for justification. And instead of trying to put lipstick on a pig (fake hair, gold chains and horrible looking disc clothes) instead the mid-life guy shaves his head bald or close too, hits the gym to get that last bit of youth he can find, and - I think - is more family oriented.

In other words, it's kinda a car for me! 47, lovely wife and 3 kiddos and a dog! ; )

Staff Team 61 Rep Points mldavis2's Avatar
    Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    State
    MO
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And then there are those of us who defy definition, who are outside of the norm, who have been "car guys" forever, who have never grown up. It's not a mid-life crisis for me, a category long since past. My signature line belies my passion for cars, if a bit below status level until recently. But I don't buy cars any longer for utility, which is why I refuse to own a Utility Vehicle. And I don't twaddle around town in a big Buick or seek status with a Cadillac or MB or BMW or Audi or Lexus or Acura badge. I buy cars for myself, unencumbered by my wife's demands or opinions. She drives what I give her, and although a very strong, self-willed woman, she defers to me completely for transportation. How very lucky I am. I'm too old to worry what others think of my choices, I have only myself to please and I apologize to no one, which is why I leave at least one Kia badge on the car. I don't drag main or hang out in parking lots. I could have bought most anything out there. Many cars were discarded because of restricted leg and knee room dictated by the ever-encroaching proliferation and subsequent expansion of center-console gadgetry. Just finding a cockpit into which I fit is challenge enough - long legs and 6'4" tall. I drive long distances several times a year, having chosen to avoid air travel for the same reason I reject so very many cars - I don't fit in the seats any longer.

So in my reluctant search for something to replace the venerable G8GT, I stumbled across a sleek Korean GT that grabbed my attention. I fit the front seat, albeit with some distaste for the right knee against the right angle of the center console when manspreading, but I can live with it. And two old geezers, Fittipaldi and the rock star, gettin' it on with this lovely machine, German engineered and Korean built, full of power and promises, attracted my attention. Some day the kids will show up and ask me for my keys, throw me into an assisted living facility and sell the Stinger or whatever follows it, and forget I was enamored with technology and engineering. Perhaps I can paper the walls of my cell with posters of all the great machines I've driven or lusted over. I can try to remember the first new car, the Plymouth GTX 440CID that my father game me for making it home alive from Viet Nam -- a beautiful electric blue with white vinyl top and white vinyl interior which I reluctantly sold when I could no longer reliably find premium leaded fuel on the road. Or the obligatory Saab which dictated a move to a family car for a decade or so. But I arise like a Phoenix from the ashes of 4 cylinder boredom and return to the joys of power and handling. I bemoan the demise of my favorite Pontiac GM division and GM Holden and turn to -- an import of all things. I cannot hope to achieve anything like the repair-free reliability of those last Pontiacs with the Korean GT, but I can hope, and I can drive and I can enjoy finding one more link in the chain to oblivion. Most people my age are hauling groceries or prescription meds from the pharmacy or running to doctor's appointments. Me? I'm haulin' a$$.
    '18 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD 19" HiChroma Red / Black Nappa
    '08 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L LS96
    '05 Pontiac GTO 6.0L LS2 6-speed Bright Blue metallic / Blue leather
    '00 Pontiac GrandPrix GTP 3.8L (supercharged)
    '96 Pontiac TransAm 5.7L
    '93 Pontiac GrandAm Quad4 HO
    '89 Olds Calais International Quad4 HO
    Anything before that you don't want to know

Medals
    State
    OR
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
    And then there are those of us who defy definition, who are outside of the norm, who have been "car guys" forever, who have never grown up. It's not a mid-life crisis for me, a category long since past. My signature line belies my passion for cars, if a bit below status level until recently. But I don't buy cars any longer for utility, which is why I refuse to own a Utility Vehicle. And I don't twaddle around town in a big Buick or seek status with a Cadillac or MB or BMW or Audi or Lexus or Acura badge. I buy cars for myself, unencumbered by my wife's demands or opinions. She drives what I give her, and although a very strong, self-willed woman, she defers to me completely for transportation. How very lucky I am. I'm too old to worry what others think of my choices, I have only myself to please and I apologize to no one, which is why I leave at least one Kia badge on the car. I don't drag main or hang out in parking lots. I could have bought most anything out there. Many cars were discarded because of restricted leg and knee room dictated by the ever-encroaching proliferation and subsequent expansion of center-console gadgetry. Just finding a cockpit into which I fit is challenge enough - long legs and 6'4" tall. I drive long distances several times a year, having chosen to avoid air travel for the same reason I reject so very many cars - I don't fit in the seats any longer.

So in my reluctant search for something to replace the venerable G8GT, I stumbled across a sleek Korean GT that grabbed my attention. I fit the front seat, albeit with some distaste for the right knee against the right angle of the center console when manspreading, but I can live with it. And two old geezers, Fittipaldi and the rock star, gettin' it on with this lovely machine, German engineered and Korean built, full of power and promises, attracted my attention. Some day the kids will show up and ask me for my keys, throw me into an assisted living facility and sell the Stinger or whatever follows it, and forget I was enamored with technology and engineering. Perhaps I can paper the walls of my cell with posters of all the great machines I've driven or lusted over. I can try to remember the first new car, the Plymouth GTX 440CID that my father game me for making it home alive from Viet Nam -- a beautiful electric blue with white vinyl top and white vinyl interior which I reluctantly sold when I could no longer reliably find premium leaded fuel on the road. Or the obligatory Saab which dictated a move to a family car for a decade or so. But I arise like a Phoenix from the ashes of 4 cylinder boredom and return to the joys of power and handling. I bemoan the demise of my favorite Pontiac GM division and GM Holden and turn to -- an import of all things. I cannot hope to achieve anything like the repair-free reliability of those last Pontiacs with the Korean GT, but I can hope, and I can drive and I can enjoy finding one more link in the chain to oblivion. Most people my age are hauling groceries or prescription meds from the pharmacy or running to doctor's appointments. Me? I'm haulin' a$$.
    Nice take!

Medals
    Made First Post  
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stereotypical millennial here, on top of that I work at an Internet company here in Silicon Valley.

Medals
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kia Stinger Age Demographics

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    At 45, for me it's not about a midlife crisis, it's about:
    - My kids are older with their own cars, I can cater more to myself.
    - I no longer live in a rural area where a truck/suv was more practical.
    - At this stage in my life, I have extra money to have fun with a car like this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DBurd; 03-23-2018 at 05:44 PM.
    201Black GT1 +Drive-Wise
    2016 White Optima SX-T Launch Edition
    2014 Optima EX (traded in for Stinger)[/B]

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast