Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Run Flats?

XP05UR

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
Is there any word on whether the Stinger will use Run Flats? The Michelin Pilot Sports that I've seen pictured on many of the Stinger images aren't from what I can see online but I've heard rumours that due to weight distribution Kia have done away with the spare in preference of run flats like many Euro's? This will make upgrading the rims an expensive option if you have to fit run flats on a 20 inch rim. Had a quick look on tyresales.com.au and I was guessing sizing at 225/35 R20 front and 275/30 R20 rear, you're looking around the $2k mark for tyres alone.

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
The specs that have been released say it will have a spare, but, we've seen shots of the trunk and it appears the battery is where the spare would normally be. So, where does the spare hide, in the side of the trunk perhaps? Hmmm....

OP
X

XP05UR

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I'm really glad that it's looking like having a spare of some description.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
TRD
The specs that have been released say it will have a spare, but, we've seen shots of the trunk and it appears the battery is where the spare would normally be. So, where does the spare hide, in the side of the trunk perhaps? Hmmm....
That's what I've seen too.....

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Tire sizes and some other good info listed here. 3.3 will have 225 up front and 245 in the rear.

http://www.kia-world.net/2018-kia-stinger/

Is there any word on whether the Stinger will use Run Flats? The Michelin Pilot Sports that I've seen pictured on many of the Stinger images aren't from what I can see online but I've heard rumours that due to weight distribution Kia have done away with the spare in preference of run flats like many Euro's? This will make upgrading the rims an expensive option if you have to fit run flats on a 20 inch rim. Had a quick look on tyresales.com.au and I was guessing sizing at 225/35 R20 front and 275/30 R20 rear, you're looking around the $2k mark for tyres alone.

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
One thing I hate about run flats is that they are not repairable. Recently had a nail in my C43 and I ended having to replace the tire under warranty.

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
I saw this in a walk-around video review posted on YouTube yesterday; it definitely has a compact spare, which is a relief...

Attachments

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Great job [MENTION=48]TurboTx[/MENTION], thats solid confirmation right there.

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I saw this in a walk-around video review posted on YouTube yesterday; it definitely has a compact spare, which is a relief...
Great investigative work.

OP
X

XP05UR

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
Thread Starter #11
Really appreciate your post TurboTx.. Huge relief, particularly with the quality of Australian roads

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Agreed, it really is a relief. My current car has no spare, no tools, nothing back there other than a compressor; it's nerve-wracking taking a trip knowing that if you get a flat, you're at the mercy of roadside assistance, which could take hours.