Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Painted rear corner reflectors

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
What do you guys think?

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Looks really good. Do you lose the rear turn signal flasher on the side?

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Nvm, after looking, the side refector dosen?t flash anyway, just a small side light. The flashers on the back show up very well from the side.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
I considered it a few weeks ago, I am still on the fence.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I was thinking about doing the same thing but the more I look at it the more I think dodge charger!lol the red makes it stands out.

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
I like the look, didn't realize that reflector is a separate piece.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Is this legal in the US? I think the USDOT requires a rear side reflector and you might get a ticket for painting over it. When I first saw the Stinger, I wasn't crazy about the rear side reflector but now I do kind of like it.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Is this legal in the US? I think the USDOT requires a rear side reflector and you might get a ticket for painting over it. When I first saw the Stinger, I wasn't crazy about the rear side reflector but now I do kind of like it.
Just say that's how it came from the factory... They won't know the difference

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
We're doing something similar...except in carbon fiber ;)

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Just say that's how it came from the factory... They won't know the difference
LOL... You don't really believe that do you? :) I mean, if you really like it and want to do it, go for it. But they do know the difference and err on the side of caution when they're not sure. I'm just trying to give you guys a heads up is all. Example: Remember the Pontiac G8 GT? There was a guy who was pulled over in Maryland because the police officer thought the DOT approved and Pontiac manufactured tail lights on the guys G8 GT were illegal aftermarket tail lights. Again, they were OEM from Pontiac and even had the DOT number printed on them. He fought the ticket in traffic court and, if my memory serves me correctly, HE LOST! I think it went to a bigger court in Maryland and he won because, Pontiac manufactured them and they had a DOT number on them.

My point is, it was a colossal pain in the @$$ to go through all this and I don't think his legal expenses were reimbursed by the court. I hope they were but I don't think they were. Now, it could be one of those things where if you're behaving yourself and your car is in good shape, the police may let you get away with it. Heck, today in NY I saw a Dodge Ram pickup truck with All kinds of RED lights on the front of his truck, particularly around the headlight clusters, and he wasn't pulled over, even though that's illegal. The red lights can only be on the rear of the vehicle. Amber goes on the front. I have all kinds of respect for the police but if you get a Barney Fife, who knows a bit about cars and he notices your rear side marker lights are....GONE, you can expect a ticket. I understand what you're saying about these marker lights. When they first came out, I thought they were weird and I couldn't stand them. I have since grown to like them. Again, I'm not trying to call you out on anything and if you really want them, go for it. I'm just trying to give some friendly advice and help you to avoid future troubles.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
LOL... You don't really believe that do you? :) I mean, if you really like it and want to do it, go for it. But they do know the difference and err on the side of caution when they're not sure. I'm just trying to give you guys a heads up is all. Example: Remember the Pontiac G8 GT? There was a guy who was pulled over in Maryland because the police officer thought the DOT approved and Pontiac manufactured tail lights on the guys G8 GT were illegal aftermarket tail lights. Again, they were OEM from Pontiac and even had the DOT number printed on them. He fought the ticket in traffic court and, if my memory serves me correctly, HE LOST! I think it went to a bigger court in Maryland and he won because, Pontiac manufactured them and they had a DOT number on them.

My point is, it was a colossal pain in the @$$ to go through all this and I don't think his legal expenses were reimbursed by the court. I hope they were but I don't think they were. Now, it could be one of those things where if you're behaving yourself and your car is in good shape, the police may let you get away with it. Heck, today in NY I saw a Dodge Ram pickup truck with All kinds of RED lights on the front of his truck, particularly around the headlight clusters, and he wasn't pulled over, even though that's illegal. The red lights can only be on the rear of the vehicle. Amber goes on the front. I have all kinds of respect for the police but if you get a Barney Fife, who knows a bit about cars and he notices your rear side marker lights are....GONE, you can expect a ticket. I understand what you're saying about these marker lights. When they first came out, I thought they were weird and I couldn't stand them. I have since grown to like them. Again, I'm not trying to call you out on anything and if you really want them, go for it. I'm just trying to give some friendly advice and help you to avoid future troubles.
There's a lot of uncertainty in your response. My dad has a G8 GT and I can agree, they do not look like manufacturer taillights. If something comes from the manufacturer and does not meet DOT regulations, of course the manufacturer would be liable, not the bloke that bought the car.

The police can't cite the individual on the spot if he/she says it came from the factory like that or the previous owner did it. We all know on here that it isn't factory but the policeman may not know the difference. I don't modify my cars like that so I am not one to condone this. It's just a way to get out of things.

the_oreck

Reactions
City
CLOVERDALE
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
There's a lot of uncertainty in your response. My dad has a G8 GT and I can agree, they do not look like manufacturer taillights. If something comes from the manufacturer and does not meet DOT regulations, of course the manufacturer would be liable, not the bloke that bought the car.

The police can't cite the individual on the spot if he/she says it came from the factory like that or the previous owner did it. We all know on here that it isn't factory but the policeman may not know the difference. I don't modify my cars like that so I am not one to condone this. It's just a way to get out of things.
Worst case if you do get a ticket... It's going to be a Fix it Ticket. Which if you were smart you would keep your original Rear Side Markers. Swap them back to OEM, get the ticket signed off by any LEO, pay the court processing fee and swap back to painted ones. All in all it's an hour out of your day to do the swap and probably a $30ish fee. Small price to pay if you really prefer the sidemarker delete look.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1