Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Should I get chipped?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
So I'm contemplating on either getting a racechip or vividracing chip. I've read all the stories about spark plugs and what not. My question is I know theres different settings but I'm not planning on running race gas or anything higher than 91, will that be ok? without replacing plugs? Just have it set on anything besides 91+ race mode. I'm even planning on getting the basic GTS model and not the black. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
With the vivid chip you're essentially the guinea pig, at least with racechip there's some real world testing.

Reactions
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2, 2004 MSM
I wouldn't put any tuner on the car without at least re-gapping the plugs.

Reactions
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium
^This. There are so many people that ran into issues with regap and stock plugs.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I agree. Re-gap your plugs for sure. I will be re-gapping mine.

OP
M
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #6
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Is it easy to recap a plug?
If I cap it too much how would i fix that?
Are the plugs being sold already cap?

Knowing my luck I would mess it up somehow. I saw the YouTube video and it'll probably take me all day. I'm also worried about the dealership finding that I've been messing with the engine and voiding my warranty. I know the chip can be taken out before going to the dealer.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Is it easy to recap a plug?
If I cap it too much how would i fix that?
Are the plugs being sold already cap?

Knowing my luck I would mess it up somehow. I saw the YouTube video and it'll probably take me all day. I'm also worried about the dealership finding that I've been messing with the engine and voiding my warranty. I know the chip can be taken out before going to the dealer.
It's really easy to re"GAP" spark plugs and there are plenty of videos on youtube on how to do it. Some OEM plugs come pre-gapped but since you're going aftermarket most will require gapping to the proper specs.

OP
M
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #8
It's really easy to re"GAP" spark plugs and there are plenty of videos on youtube on how to do it. Some OEM plugs come pre-gapped but since you're going aftermarket most will require gapping to the proper specs.
LoL realize I keep saying cap and not gap. Anywho I decided to go with racechip AND i will be regapping the stock plugs. Why aren't there any more reviews on RC? Theres probably a handful of reviews.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Any update on this OP?