Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Removable Front License Plate Bracket?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Has anyone tried some of the universal brackets out there? I used to have one in my Mustang I'm sure would fit the Stinger real neat but I can't find it anywhere online, like the company went bankrupt. Can't even remember where I got it from but it was a triangular bracket with a bent piece with a hole that would fit in a thick screw you'd glue to the underside of the fender then secure with a plastic nut. Worked just fine for 3 years even though i never had the license plate in the front and never got a ticket.

I'm also looking removing the front factory bracket and repair the wholes drilled by the dealer. Found this gem online with ridiculous prices:

https://www.bumperplugs.com/

So instead I'll just buy a set of plugs from home depot (like $5) and a touch up pen like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kia-Touch-...-Red-UA017-TU5014H4RA-OEM-Paint-/302614611790

I wonder if one of our vendors here sells a prepainted kit?

OP
R
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Thread Starter #3
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Actually, I used better keywords in my google search and found it!

http://ccmustangbrackets.com/product/universal-front-license-plate-bracket/

This thing comes with a small strip of two-sided 3M tape that WELDS to the paint of the car and will never fall off.

I still have to figure out how to cover the holes of the factory bracket.
This looks like the best one of these I have seen. The Stinger has enough of a horizontal lip for this to be properly mounted?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
OP
R
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Thread Starter #6
This looks like the best one of these I have seen. The Stinger has enough of a horizontal lip for this to be properly mounted?
There is about an inch of clearance directly under the factory bracket:

There is also the option to install it all the way under the fender where there are a couple inches, but the black matte plastic prolly won't let the 3M tape weld itself properly:

Judging from the vendor website, an inch should be enough. It's just the plastic nut will be somewhat visible.

Looks good enough to me. I'll place the order tonight. Total cost for this project will be about $100, including the plus, touchup paint and the bracket.

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
This mounts on the fender?

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
This is really a great design and perfect for the Stinger.

OP
R
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Thread Starter #10
Shopping list:

1x Touchup pen from a Kia dealer in Miami because apparently local ones in LA don't stock them yet.
2x Set of 4 flat metal 1/4" hole plugs
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pack-1-4...102358?hash=item41826db616:g:qmIAAOSwyP5aDw1m
1x cordless drill because I never had a need to buy one.

I get everything sometime next week so it will be a fun little project for the weekend. Will post pictures when done.

Reactions
State
DC
Country
United States
The Sly Brackets "Bozzmounts" fits on the Stinger too, if you don't want to use adhesive on your bumper. It sits just slightly lower than the factory mount does (maybe 3/8").

https://www.slybrackets.com/

jyoung

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Did you ever get this installed? Wondering how well it worked...

OP
R
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Thread Starter #14
Did you ever get this installed? Wondering how well it worked...
Actually, yes but I am not very happy with the result so I was going to redo before posting. Anyway, this is how the painted hole covers looked like installed. Note the license plate bracket holder under the fender:

A close-up for better detail:

From a distance, you can barely see the hole covers or the license plate mounting bracket holder:

Side view of the license plate mounted on bracket:

Front view:

I'm not happy with the hole covers, they fall off when I take the car to the car wash. I'll need to remove these, drill 1/4" holes and install bigger covers and secure them in place with crazy glue or something. For now I keep the license plate mounted to cover the holes where covers fell off.