Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Parking Brake warning light won't go off

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Only about 300 miles in the car and looks like the problems have started already. My Stinger is a GT2 so it's equipped with Electronic Parking Brake (EPB).

I normally put on the parking brake before I turn off the car but this morning the light didn't go out even after the car was in motion. I know the parking brakes are not engaged, the car moves normally. It's just the light won't go off.

Oh well, I'll bring it to the dealer tomorrow.

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Did the light turn itself off after you restarted the car? Just to confirm its the parking brake ((P)) light and not the low brake fluid warning ((!)) light correct?

OP
R
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Thread Starter #3
Did the light turn itself off after you restarted the car? Just to confirm its the parking brake ((P)) light and not the low brake fluid warning ((!)) light correct?
Both, I think. I'm pretty sure that's how the light always looked like. The pic below is from google, not my car but that's exactly how it looks. Anyway I'm at the dealer right now. Hopefully they can tell me if at least it's safe to drive since apparently they don't fix stuff on Sundays.

rockinray

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Both, I think. I'm pretty sure that's how the light always looked like. The pic below is from google, not my car but that's exactly how it looks. Anyway I'm at the dealer right now. Hopefully they can tell me if at least it's safe to drive since apparently they don't fix stuff on Sundays.

I have this same issue. Can you share what you learned from the dealer??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Thread Starter #5

I'll be glad to once I hear back from them. I went there around noon today and was told they still haven't diagnosed. I think it's bullshit and they don't know what's wrong. I found in another forum the ABS system may need to be replaced which would take a while since parts have to come from Korea.

What pissed me off is that the dealer (Car Pros Kia Carson) doesn't take calls in their service department. Calls go straight to a voicemail so you have to be a good boy and wait for them to call you instead. I called the sales desk and asked to speak with a person in Service. They transferred me to the same voice mailbox then I called again and the sales desk simply ignored my calls. I expected better from the dealer, since I used to have a Hyundai and their service department was EXCELLENT (Cerritos Hyundai), I guess Kia's is not as closely regulated. Since no one took my call I had to drive all the way there to check on status.

I guess this is one of those dealers.

At least they gave me a loaner Sorento I guess.

OP
R
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Thread Starter #6

Just got a call back from the dealer. The ECM (car computer) had to be replaced and they're working on it. Sounds like I'm getting the car back today. If I were you I'd take it to the dealer ASAP in case it's the ECM before it completely dies on you.

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
Just got a call back from the dealer. The ECM (car computer) had to be replaced and they're working on it. Sounds like I'm getting the car back today. If I were you I'd take it to the dealer ASAP in case it's the ECM before it completely dies on you.
That's crazy on a brand new car. If you find out anymore details on why the ECM needed replacing please share.

OP
R
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Thread Starter #8
That's crazy on a brand new car. If you find out anymore details on why the ECM needed replacing please share.
I think it comes with the territory when you purchase a brand new, new model car. It's okay, I'm cool with it. They're fixing it. Could have been I misheard the guy on the phone? I'll scan and post the work order once I get it.

OP
R
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Thread Starter #9
Turns out the problem was with the "ESC module", not the "ECM"... something to do with the hydraulic system. Anyway I got the Stinger back. Fingers crossed this is the last time I have to take it in for repairs at least for a couple years.

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
Turns out the problem was with the "ESC module", not the "ECM"... something to do with the hydraulic system. Anyway I got the Stinger back. Fingers crossed this is the last time I have to take it in for repairs at least for a couple years.

That makes more sense. Hopefully this is a "one time" thing.

rockinray

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Thanks for the heads up on this.

Mine is inconsistent but I will plan to drop it next week at the dealership.

OP
R
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Thread Starter #12
The saga continues! This morning the following error welcomed me in the car as soon as I engaged reverse to leave for work:

Then I ran diagnostics and got this:

Problem wasn't only the lights but I had to press on the brake pedal all the way down to stop the car and even then it wouldn't stop completely. Figured I couldn't make it to the dealer safely so I called roadside assistance.

Good night sweet prince. Press F to pay respects. Shhh, no more tears. Only dreams.

Dropped it off at the dealer ==again==. Unfortunately the error lights did not come up when I got there so I'm worried they'll say to take it back and bring it again if when it happens again. But at least the parking brake light came up again so maybe that'll be enough for them to troubleshoot.

At least the process to call roadside assistance, get towed, drop off at the dealer and get a rental loaner was smooth. I really hope the problem is fixed this time. I love the car otherwise!

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Sorry you're going through all these issues [MENTION=732]RedStinger[/MENTION]

I must say those wheels look phenomenal.

OP
R
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Thread Starter #14
Sorry you're going through all these issues [MENTION=732]RedStinger[/MENTION]

I must say those wheels look phenomenal.
Yup, they were installed by the dealer along with lowering coils. Makes the car look even better. I was going to post nice pictures once I was done with the mods I was thinking of doing. Too bad I had to introduce my Stinger like this. [?|]

OP
R
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Thread Starter #15
Now that I think about it, I wonder if having lowered coils is what's messing with the electronics? Maybe some reset has to be done in the computer to settle sensor misreadings caused by abnormal height? I'll ask the dealer service department tomorrow.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Now that I think about it, I wonder if having lowered coils is what's messing with the electronics? Maybe some reset has to be done in the computer to settle sensor misreadings caused by abnormal height? I'll ask the dealer service department tomorrow.
Most likely not unless you have something blocking the censors.

OP
R
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Thread Starter #17
Picked up the Stinger on Thursday. Service receipt states it was the same problem as before but just needed a "little adjustment." Oh well, if it happens again I can invoke lemon law. If it doesn't, I have a happy Stinger. Win-win either way.

This morning, I took it for a little road trip up to the mountains east of San Luis Obispo. 5 north > 58 west > 101 south. Close to 500 miles total. Left home at 7:00 AM, took several breaks along the way to admire the scenery and was back home by 3:00 PM. The stinger performed really well up and down the twisty mountain roads. It's just exhilarating to climb the San Andreas fault at 50-60 mph in Sport mode. I suspect the Pirellis they installed at the dealer have something to do with it. Amazing car, I just love it. [rockon]

OP
R
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Thread Starter #19
I really like the wheels you chose.
Not my choice actually. This was a showroom car they had installed the wheels (and lowered it too) before I even showed up to the dealer. Needless to say as soon as I walked in and saw it I lost all self control and started signing whatever papers they they threw in mi face.

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Not my choice actually. This was a showroom car they had installed the wheels (and lowered it too) before I even showed up to the dealer. Needless to say as soon as I walked in and saw it I lost all self control and started signing whatever papers they they threw in mi face.
lol I can't blame you as I'd probably do the same thing and gave them my shirt too.