Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Greddy Korea intakes and BOV for the 2.0T and 3.3T Stingers

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Interesting test on intake temperatures. Ultimately, the air temperature entering the intake is determined by the efficiency of the intercooler which is also a variable that depends on vehicle speed (and to some extend wind direction) and the air velocity moving across the cooling fins, and the amount of boost pressure being supplied (PV=nrT). It's not simple.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
I posted about this on a different thread.
The cooler the air can get into the turbo and engine, the more performace you will be able to get.

It is not the same if you have air coming in at, say, 60 F to then be warmed up another 30 F (when it enters the turbo compressor), to then be cooled 10 F (when it goes through the air cooled intercooler) and then into the heads and combustion chamber, than if you get the air in at a lower temperature.

Just Google Charles' Law

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I posted about this on a different thread.
The cooler the air can get into the turbo and engine, the more performace you will be able to get.

It is not the same if you have air coming in at, say, 60 F to then be warmed up another 30 F (when it enters the turbo compressor), to then be cooled 10 F (when it goes through the air cooled intercooler) and then into the heads and combustion chamber, than if you get the air in at a lower temperature.

Just Google Charles' Law
Yeah, thanks, I'm a chemist, so I'm quite familiar with that. And I agree that the cooler the intake air temperatures the more theoretical power you may generate. There might be some theoretical advantage under race conditions to make a case for slightly cooler intake air, but the dyno test above pretty well shows that's an illusion in the real world of passenger cars. The ducting for compressed air downstream of the intercooler is still in the engine compartment and must enter a hot intake manifold and valves before it enters the cylinder. The difference is probably measurable under strict lab conditions but I refer you back to the dyno tests that show no advantage. Outside ambient air temperature is a larger factor going from summer to winter.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
While I agree that the difference is probably measurable under lab controlled conditions. There is one small detail that almost everyone overlooks with the dyno sheets, in the case of the air intakes, the hood is always open, allowing the hot air generated by the engine to escape rapidly and not concentrate in the compartment. Another detail is that there is always a, or multiple, fans blowing right at front of the vehicle, allowing fresh air to move rapidly though the air ducts and cool down the engine bay as well.

I am fully aware that the fans are a requirement when dynoing any car, as the vehicle needs airflow through the radiator and coolers to keep the temperatures within range.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
Without multiple IAT sensors in place and being logged, this is all academic discussion with no real-world answers on individual intake efficiency of inlet air temp.