Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Fake hood vents need to go

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
My Jeep SRT had functional vents and I could legit see the heat coming out of them when stopped.

I agree OP, the fake hood vents really piss me off with such a great car. I for one cannot wait till our aftermarket brothers make a new hood, Ill be on that pre order list!

Reactions
City
Mexico City
State
Non-US
Country
Mexico
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 2019
This is how could look without those vents, a lot cleaner and still aggressive

20181111-Kia-Stinger_2.jpg

scottWB

Reactions
Also not a big fan of fake vents but it wasn't a deal breaker for me... now to decide if the carbon fiber vents are worth $230X2, still non functional but better looking in my opinion. If you really hate them that much you can get a carbon fiber hood for $800-$1000 :oops:

JanosX

Reactions
City
Calgary
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2020 Stinger Limited
Agreed, it's my least favorite thing about the car, but wasn't a deal breaker for me. Maybe it helps that Canada got the 360 camera, heated rear seats and basically everything and more than my S5 had (including a functional rear seat!)AND wasr solid $25k less!

No brainer!

I don't even notice the hood vents anymore. Or the rear reflectors for that matter. It's a good looking car.

Attachments

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1

tank4376

Reactions
City
Kathleen
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 KIA Stinger GT1 Mica Blue
They don't really bother me. I had functional and non-functional ones on my 03 Cobra. The functional ones soaked the engine bay if I got caught in a downpour. As far as the look of them, you can't really tell they are non-functional from 20 feet.

JR-10/20

Reactions
City
Stuart
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Stinger
Ever since I bought this car I feel the need to do something with these non-functional hood vent. It seems to look like a silly afterthought especially when it rains and the water ponds in that location. Maybe it's a functional bird bath ...I don't know. But have not been able to find anything that is functional enough to be considered.

Reactions
What I Drive
Stinger GT AWD
They don't really bother me. I had functional and non-functional ones on my 03 Cobra. The functional ones soaked the engine bay if I got caught in a downpour. As far as the look of them, you can't really tell they are non-functional from 20 feet.
I'm right there with you! Really couldn't care less about the vents one way or another. No big deal.(y)

JR-10/20

Reactions
City
Stuart
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Stinger
I have to chime in since I bought the car knowing they were fake vents but it seems to be on my list of things to do. It does seem like there's an awful lot of heat generated and no place to go especially when you shut the car down. I recall having a car that the fan ran afterwards to cool things down.

Another option is to spring for and aftermarket carbon fiber hood for about 1200 bucks where the vent is in the front above the radiator so that any water etc would not be dripping on vital engine electrical connectors, turbos and exhaust manifolds as the case with the openings for original. But this would be a the ideal location since most of the heat comes off the exhaust manifolds and turbo piping. So where is the logic in fake vents?

Perhaps it was a cost decision but where's the savings since making a hood with extra support for fake vents when you could probably do it just as cheaply making them right and functional in the first place. I suppose this is the bling effect which seems to work for some... Or this is where someone at Kia dropped the ball?

Last edited:

JR-10/20

Reactions
City
Stuart
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Stinger
I'm right there with you! Really couldn't care less about the vents one way or another. No big deal.(y)
I guess it's okay if you're a teenager but really this is a cheap shortcut.

JR-10/20

Reactions
City
Stuart
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Stinger
And some not so expensive cars had them as functional, ex. 1977 to '78, Datsun 280z.

They used a spill tray underneath for water intrusion

Reactions
What I Drive
Stinger GT AWD
I had a used '69 Nova SS with it's OEM fake hood vents, so yeah, inexpensive cars had non functional one's too.

I didn't care my Chevy had them then, and I don't really care my KIA has them now. Lol

Reactions
What I Drive
Stinger GT AWD
Oh, and I also had a used '69 Mach 1 390 S-Code with it's OEM fake hood scoop.

Fake, Fake Everywhere!

JR-10/20

Reactions
City
Stuart
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Stinger
I had a used '69 Nova SS with it's OEM fake hood vents, so yeah, inexpensive cars had non functional one's too.

I didn't care my Chevy had them then, and I don't really care my KIA has them now. Lol
Well you might not care but any kind of performance car that puts out this amount of heat really should happen,,,, yeah man I leaned on it just a little bit and pop the hood it was like I opened up a 500 degree pizza oven

Last edited:
Reactions
What I Drive
Stinger GT AWD
Well you might not care but any kind of performance car that puts out this amount of heat really should happen,,,, yeah man I leaned on it just a little bit and pop the hood it was like I opened up a 500 degree pizza oven
Well you should've been aware that cars put out a ton of heat when you open up the hood after it's been running, so yeah, the KIA Engineers knew what they were doing and our car's not overheating is proof of that.

Time we move on from all this silly talk about "functional/non-functional" hood vents ...

JR-10/20

Reactions
City
Stuart
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Stinger
We're not considered as silly but what is silly as one put it in there in the first place. I can come to a conclusion that after 4 years of production and they're still using the same fake vents that there are not necessary..