Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Fake hood vents need to go

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
I must be in the minority here but I like the look of the vents.

OP
H
Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
Thread Starter #22
Wow, you must REALLY HATE those vents. A three day rant on how non/dysfunctional these things are, and why you should not have to pay for them. So...don't pay for them. Like you say, there are other cars out there that have functional ones, and others with out them all together. Just sayin'
From what I see is you don't currently have one (according to your profile), and you haven't ordered one because it doesn't carry the "features/options" you want (according to your thread activity). Why such a hater Heli?
Man, I love mine. Of course, I've been driving since the mid 70's, and have had to deal with a lot of cars I wouldn't want to be seen in, but needed the transportation. Now that I can afford what I want when I want it, I chose this because it has a ton of standard equipment, a lot of performance, and I didn't have to settle for a lower to middle of the road Audi, BMW, Jag, Alfa to get a Grand Touring styled vehicle.
This thread makes me smile, because you must like the vehicle, otherwise I don't think you would be on this forum, but the Hate for a simulated vent...WOW.
If ranting is posting a question and then responding to people's remarks with valid information, then these forums are already doomed lol, what a joke. I think the vehicle is a solid all around vehicle but needs work first. I have yet to receive a good response other than [MENTION=614]stingingseattle[/MENTION]. He truly likes the way they look. I have gotten:

-Oh no my engine got wet!------That is just piss poor design
-Top mount intercoolers suck!------ No one suggested TMIC
-That would be to expensive and I don't want to pay for that!------If they did it straight from the manufacturer it would literally add less than $1000 to the price tag on the HIGH END. The car would have better performance, and I would wager 90% of the people would prefer a fully function heat extractor hood, both look and functionality if you put them side by side. If a slight increase in cost for BETTER performance and looks breaks the bank, then this vehicle is out of your price range.

OP
H
Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
Thread Starter #23
I must be in the minority here but I like the look of the vents.
You have given the only good response as to why you don't want fully functional vents lol. If you like them then power to you man! But I would bet money that you would like the look better of a true heat extractor hood if they were side by side and wouldn't have noticed a difference in price

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
If they did it straight from the manufacturer it would literally add less than $1000 to the price tag on the HIGH END. The car would have better performance, and I would wager 90% of the people would prefer a fully function heat extractor hood, both look and functionality if you put them side by side. If a slight increase in cost for BETTER performance and looks breaks the bank, then this vehicle is out of your price range.
You've completely overlooked the fact that for some of us the vents don't matter enough to justify not purchasing the car. Yes they can be functional, but Kia chose not to make them functional for cost reasons. Even if Kia made optional "functional" vents, I would choose to have a solid hood instead.

I completely understand from your perspective and you said it yourself, you're posting a question and I was merely providing an opinion from my perspective. I didn't realize it had to be a good or bad answer.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. [like]

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
"Hey hey, ho ho fake hood vents has got to go", but for now I have to leave it there due to not wanting uglier holes in my hood.[hihi]

OP
H
Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
Thread Starter #27
You've completely overlooked the fact that for some of us the vents don't matter enough to justify not purchasing the car. Yes they can be functional, but Kia chose not to make them functional for cost reasons. Even if Kia made optional "functional" vents, I would choose to have a solid hood instead.

I completely understand from your perspective and you said it yourself, you're posting a question and I was merely providing an opinion from my perspective. I didn't realize it had to be a good or bad answer.
If they at least offered a solid hood option then I would be happy with that. Now they just need a few more color options and it would be good to go!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. [like]
Completely true! If you dig the way it looks stock, then rock on man! [rockon] I have never been on to leave a vehicle stock because I hate someone else having the exact same car. See where it's at next year and what aftermarket mods are available, I am sure someone will make a hood. Plus the tunes will be refined. Seems like Lap3 is the only real option out at this moment and that's been a complete mess. If I was to get one I would literally have a tune, exhaust, intake, coil overs, and wheels / tires sitting at home waiting lol. First on my way home I would go get the windows blacked out haha

OP
H
Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
Thread Starter #28
"Hey hey, ho ho fake hood vents has got to go", but for now I have to leave it there due to not wanting uglier holes in my hood.[hihi]
Someone will either make a replacement hood or kit to make the vents functional. All in due time! That's another reason I won't buy a car right when they come out, got to let the aftermarket parts get rolling first and actually see if companies take it on or if it's a dud

SeoulStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi A6
I'm not bothered by them.

Can we talk about the strip of reflector on the rear quarter panel though?
Funny my wife also hates the rear quarter lights.

OP
H
Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
Thread Starter #31
I'm not bothered by them.

Can we talk about the strip of reflector on the rear quarter panel though?
Funny my wife also hates the rear quarter lights.
Yea my wife and I are not a fan of those reflectors earlier. Someone mentioned they had something to do with Stinger itself and was a tie in. Not sure how they relate, they just look goofy to me.

SeoulStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi A6
Yea my wife and I are not a fan of those reflectors earlier. Someone mentioned they had something to do with Stinger itself and was a tie in. Not sure how they relate, they just look goofy to me.
I heard the same about the "S" or "R". Just wish the letters weren't so long. lol

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
[MENTION=48]TurboTx[/MENTION] had posted an image of a Stinger without the hood vents, but for some reason it never went into production.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
The reflectors are extended like the end letters of the Stinger logo. I bought a red one so they don't stand out.

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
The reflectors are extended like the end letters of the Stinger logo. I bought a red one so they don't stand out.
Exactly, think of it like this.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 StingerGT2 AWD
If ranting is posting a question and then responding to people's remarks with valid information, then these forums are already doomed lol, what a joke. I think the vehicle is a solid all around vehicle but needs work first. I have yet to receive a good response other than [MENTION=614]stingingseattle[/MENTION]. He truly likes the way they look. I have gotten:

-Oh no my engine got wet!------That is just piss poor design
-Top mount intercoolers suck!------ No one suggested TMIC
-That would be to expensive and I don't want to pay for that!------If they did it straight from the manufacturer it would literally add less than $1000 to the price tag on the HIGH END. The car would have better performance, and I would wager 90% of the people would prefer a fully function heat extractor hood, both look and functionality if you put them side by side. If a slight increase in cost for BETTER performance and looks breaks the bank, then this vehicle is out of your price range.
Heli, you and I must be mistaking each other. I see your reasoning for wanting a functional vent. The engineers must have figured that their under pan ventilation design is sufficient enough for under hood heat issues. And yes, they definitely could have made them functional for a reasonable cost to the consumer to improve performance. I get that. But for the Joe Blow lemings that will purchase the majority of these because they have no interest in anything other than getting in, pushing the button on the dash, checking their cell phone, and driving off (some not in that order), don't really care. They want to impress the neighbor with the cool looks of their new ride.
We (you and I), are a different breed, we're technical, you, (by looking at your on-line name) are a helicopter pilot. Me, I spent 22 years as a nuclear weapons technician, and then a treaty monitor in the Air Force. So we can see through the minutia that manufacturers try to push to the public. Enough said.
BTW, Yes, That Viper that friend of mine owns is a poor design for both his K&N's to get wet to the point of nearly causing the motor to hydraulic during our rainy season is just dumb. But it's still bad ass. I've gotten the opportunity to drive it about 10 laps at Palm Beach International Raceway. Lots of fun. But I think My Stinger will be fun as well, just in a different way.

So, finally, I like the looks of the vents. That is a lot of hood on the front (one of the reasons I like the Grand Touring Style), and that would be a lot of real estate with out some thing to break it up.
Sorry for the "Short Story".

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
So, finally, I like the looks of the vents. That is a lot of hood on the front (one of the reasons I like the Grand Touring Style), and that would be a lot of real estate with out some thing to break it up.
Sorry for the "Short Story".
And this is the exact reason why I like them, it breaks up the hood so that it doesn't look too plain.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Heli, you and I must be mistaking each other. I see your reasoning for wanting a functional vent. The engineers must have figured that their under pan ventilation design is sufficient enough for under hood heat issues. And yes, they definitely could have made them functional for a reasonable cost to the consumer to improve performance.
Let's talk about this idea some more.

How many people really think that having true vents (holes) in the hood will actually provide a "functional" benefit?

The reason that I mentioned a TMIC is simlly because, in my opinion, that would be the only real benefit of having open vents in the hood. I don't believe that there could be any real benefit from simple blow by through the hood. Heck, most engineers are REDUCING the size of grills because of too much cooling due to reduced friction from superior oils and cooling systems.

Does anyone think that it would help aerodynamics?

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Common sense suggests that a smooth hood would be the best aerodynamically. Open vents might increase airflow through the engine compartment but would also add drag to the front end and increase turbulence from escaping air. The problems inherent with water are another factor to consider and while nothing would likely be "damaged" it would make keeping the engine compartment clean a much bigger challenge. Cutting holes might impact structural integrity of the hood itself (I don't know what's it's made of - steel or aluminum or fiberglass or carbon fiber or ....) I wouldn't think "too much" cooling would be a consideration, [MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION], but interesting thought.

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
The opening would have to utilize the entire length for the faux vents in order to make anything effective. I know Jaguar does it on theirs, how effective in heat reduction is anyone's guess.