Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Lap3 vs tune

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1 + Drive Wise
I am leasing a GT 1, and want a performance upgrade. I would like people?s insight on whether to go with a product like the Lap3, or a tune. I have heard that a tune not only can increase horsepower but also gas mileage which seems appealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Sadly there's no tune available yet. Everything on the market right now are piggy-back devices like the Lap 3.

OP
DBurd
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
Sadly there's no tune available yet. Everything on the market right now are piggy-back devices like the Lap 3.
Ok, good to know. Of the different piggy-back devices do you know of any pros/cons of one vs the other. I?m going to look for the other ones myself also.

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
OP
DBurd
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
OP
DBurd
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #6
Of the different piggyback devices currently available, do you have any favorites?

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Ok, good to know. Of the different piggy-back devices do you know of any pros/cons of one vs the other. I?m going to look for the other ones myself also.
Go with a piggy back tune. Undetectable and proven power increase. ALWAYS remove before going to a dealership for warranty work/scheduled maintenance

Cauhauna

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
'12 Optima SX
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I've been very pleased with the Lap3 I had on my Optima SX for couple years. Most in Optima had it as well as not a lot of options I recall. Nice to now I can just move it over to the Stinger. They are they most familiar with Korean cars. With the Stinger coming out I think there will be a lot of new tuners going after this market now, piggy-back or tune. Not saying they are bad but Lap3 will most likely have most knowledge(I feel) and why I choose them. From there About Us homepage LapUSA.com:

"LAP3 was originally founded in 2002 as PROSS, the tuning division of SPIRRA, specializing in absolute power components and ECU program mapping.
Since its inception LAP3 has been a leader in the Korean tuning market through the pursuit of excellence and innovation in their quest to be number one.
Our goal is to bring authentic tuning solutions and products for the U.S. market that will unlock the true potential of your vehicle."

OP
DBurd
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #11
I've been very pleased with the Lap3 I had on my Optima SX for couple years. Most in Optima had it as well as not a lot of options I recall. Nice to now I can just move it over to the Stinger. They are they most familiar with Korean cars. With the Stinger coming out I think there will be a lot of new tuners going after this market now, piggy-back or tune. Not saying they are bad but Lap3 will most likely have most knowledge(I feel) and why I choose them. From there About Us homepage LapUSA.com:

"LAP3 was originally founded in 2002 as PROSS, the tuning division of SPIRRA, specializing in absolute power components and ECU program mapping.
Since its inception LAP3 has been a leader in the Korean tuning market through the pursuit of excellence and innovation in their quest to be number one.
Our goal is to bring authentic tuning solutions and products for the U.S. market that will unlock the true potential of your vehicle."
Thank you for your input. One question: how did it affect your gas mileage? And did you do any other mods, such as new plugs, a catch can, air filters, etc.

OP
DBurd
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #12
I?m hearing some people who are using Lap3 are burning through plugs and coils?

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte

There?s a couple of members on here that haven?t had any issues yet, guess we?ll find out in a few months after people get a chance to put some miles on their cars.

OP
DBurd
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #14
There?s a couple of members on here that haven?t had any issues yet, guess we?ll find out in a few months after people get a chance to put some miles on their cars.
I?m hoping it?s just OE

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States

Hey guys, we've noted some customers burn through plugs with the chip installed. We have also seen bare stock members burning through plugs as well.

That being said we are looking into alternative plug options for those running the chip since both chipped and non-chipped customers have reported running into plug premature plug fouling. Not sure if the root is with the engine or the plugs or what but we are on top of it and will let the community know :)

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
UPDATE:

For those using the chip we have confirmed the upgraded plugs for the 3.3TT to be HKS M45iL, this should be the solution for customers using the chip with the 3.3TT.

Price is $180.00 shipped on (6) HKS M45iL plugs, anyone can email us Sales@K8StingerStore.com to place an order

Those using the 2.0T need to upgrade to the HKS M45XL

HKS M45XL Spark Plugs