Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

USB Music

OP
T
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
Thread Starter #47
Great thread!! I gave up using USB stick in my current car because FLAC and/or the large volume of music files was too slow to load (initially and if changing albums/artists) and album art didn't work. Use an iPod instead, which works perfectly.

I would love to go back to USB stick when I get my Stinger. So much expertise here, so I will ask rather than attempting tedious research myself:

My responses to your questions:

1. I am using (as previously noted) a USB 256GB stick and I have no idea if the files load faster/slower since I don't have a USB 2.0 stick with the same files to use.

2. Again, I can't make a direct comparison since all of my files were ripped with FLAC but it takes at most about 8-10 seconds for the USB stick to load and start playing.

3. FLAC files work great and, if I am not mistaken, the m4a files are not supported.

4. Album artwork is an interesting topic. I ripped my files directly from the CD's with the result that some album artwork is displayed but others are not. Previously, when using iTunes I always thought that the album artwork was loaded by accessing the web. Now I wonder if the album artwork jpg is stored directly on the CD.

5. I have almost 3,000 files loaded on my USB stick and it loads quickly and without a problem. After researching the topic on my own I chose FLAC as being the best file format for ripping the songs.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Great thread!! I gave up using USB stick in my current car because FLAC and/or the large volume of music files was too slow to load (initially and if changing albums/artists) and album art didn't work. Use an iPod instead, which works perfectly.

I would love to go back to USB stick when I get my Stinger. So much expertise here, so I will ask rather than attempting tedious research myself:

My responses to your questions:

1. I am using (as previously noted) a USB 256GB stick and I have no idea if the files load faster/slower since I don't have a USB 2.0 stick with the same files to use.

2. Again, I can't make a direct comparison since all of my files were ripped with FLAC but it takes at most about 8-10 seconds for the USB stick to load and start playing.

3. FLAC files work great and, if I am not mistaken, the m4a files are not supported.

4. Album artwork is an interesting topic. I ripped my files directly from the CD's with the result that some album artwork is displayed but others are not. Previously, when using iTunes I always thought that the album artwork was loaded by accessing the web. Now I wonder if the album artwork jpg is stored directly on the CD.

5. I have almost 3,000 files loaded on my USB stick and it loads quickly and without a problem. After researching the topic on my own I chose FLAC as being the best file format for ripping the songs.
Thanks for the detailed answer!

What software do you use to rip to FLAC? As mentioned, Windows/Windows Media Player has its own lossless format that outputs to .WMA files. .WMA is also used for lossy formats, so that doesn't really distinguish the quality level by itself. After I get the car and try it, I could switch to FLAC format itself if that is better.

My iPod flawlessly produces album art...not sure exactly how. I'd rather not take up a bunch of space in the car with it, though, if I don't have to. This wouldn't be an issue if the car had a or its data port in the bin in the centre console where most cars have them (so you have room for things like iPods or big phones).

OP
T
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
Thread Starter #50
I use CyberLink Power2Go 11 which came as part of the bundled CyberLink Power DVD Software package. BTW the 2965 songs (rock, etc with no jazz and classical yet) have an average 23.6 MB file size.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I use CyberLink Power2Go 11 which came as part of the bundled CyberLink Power DVD Software package. BTW the 2965 songs (rock, etc with no jazz and classical yet) have an average 23.6 MB file size.
And what file format do you output to?

djole78

Reactions
City
South Orange
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Stinger GT2
So is it definitely not possible to use voice control to select individual songs off of USB drive?

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead.. but I have ripped out the factory amp and have converted the SPDIF over copper to a single ended connection that is going to a processor.

A friend of mine sent me a Cambridge Audio home DAC as it shows you the sample rate coming from the radio..

I cannot get any track either WAV or FLAC ripped higher than 48k to play ?i have tried 96k & 192k?. Can you confirm the sample rate you are using?

Thank you!!

I have my drive (64GB USB 2.0 sandisk) in exFAT, organized by Artist/Album/Song.FLAC and the device is fully searchable through the UVO system, and displays elapsed time, percentage bar, song total time, and album art on all of my music.

OP
T
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
Thread Starter #55
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead.. but I have ripped out the factory amp and have converted the SPDIF over copper to a single ended connection that is going to a processor.

A friend of mine sent me a Cambridge Audio home DAC as it shows you the sample rate coming from the radio..

I cannot get any track either WAV or FLAC ripped higher than 48k to play ?i have tried 96k & 192k?. Can you confirm the sample rate you are using?

Thank you!!
I use CyberLink Power2GO11 to convert my audio files to FLAC. The only option available on my software for the sampling rate for FLAC is that it will use the sampling rate of the original source and no higher sampling rate can be chosen. I used a source at 192k and was therefore able to convert to FLAC format at 192k sampling rate. I haven't checked the sampling rate limitations for WAV but I suspect you may run into the same problem.

OP
T
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
Thread Starter #56

Now that I have more carefully read your thread I am somewhat confused by the above statement. S/PDIF output can be transmitted either over RCA Coaxial Cable or optically using either Toslink or Mini-Toslink. So is your conversion to single ended copper using the right interface and therefore possibly causing the problem?

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States

Thank you!!
Can you share some photos over your amp conversion? I need to do this.

If anyone else is interested CUETools is a great free FLAC ripper http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools_Download