Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

my list of service issues at 1000 miles for 2018 2.0T AWD Stinger Premium

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Kia Optima SX, 1972 911 Targa
Here they are (kind of concerned so far)...

Issues that reproduce 100% of the time:
- creaky hatch while driving on bumpy or rough roads (my dealer salesman has the same car as I do and service department has not been able to fix his) - annoying, better fix (lemon law if cannot fix?)
- sharp whistling noise from front of sunroof at 60+ mph, quite loud - annoying and distracting, dangerous, better fix (lemon law if cannot fix?)
- accelerator pedal clicks and moves to the right at full throttle - annoying and distracting, dangerous as accelerator could get stuck, better fix (lemon law if cannot fix?)
- not enough heat during winter compared to other cars I've owned, usually run at 68 to 70 deg, fan set at 2, fresh air manual mode, feet are cold and not feeling defrost heat either, plenty of heat in rear passenger area set at 50% - annoying, hopefully adjustable

Weird issues that are either being tracked down / investigated or do not reproduce 100% of the time:
- car drives in reverse when starting in manual shift mode, this has happened to me about 10 to 15 times (about 15% of the time) - annoying and distracting, dangerous, better fix (lemon law if cannot fix?), steps to reproduce are:
  1. Start car with foot on brake
  2. Move shifter from Park to Drive and then to left manual mode without shifting up or down in manual mode
  3. Take foot off brake and car goes backwards about 15% of the time (no issues when going from Park to Reverse)
  4. Foot back on brake, wonder WTF just happened, foot off brake and car goes forward
- electronics in or near center console might be erasing / resetting / damaging my AWID wireless parking garage card keys (happened twice in less than a month, purchased an EMF reader to see if I can pick anything up, plan on sending second problem card to AWID for technical analysis - annoying and distracting, possibly dangerous, better fix if caused by car (lemon law if cannot fix?)

Anyone else experiencing any of these issues besides multiple creaky hatch reportings?

Thanks,

Scott

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
The one I wouldn't worry about is the clicking accelerator pedal, that's just the kickdown switch you're feeling. If you were to punch it, the engine goes to WOT, but if you push it to the kickdown switch, it forces another gear change to give you more speed.

I can't speak for any of the others, but I hope you can get everything resolved. Good luck...

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
The one I wouldn't worry about is the clicking accelerator pedal, that's just the kickdown switch you're feeling. If you were to punch it, the engine goes to WOT, but if you push it to the kickdown switch, it forces another gear change to give you more speed.

I can't speak for any of the others, but I hope you can get everything resolved. Good luck...
Took the words right out of my mouth

OP
S
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #4

Took the words right out of my mouth
Who wants to feel this during driving, especially on a 1000 mile car?

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Who wants to feel this during driving, especially on a 1000 mile car?
It's only on Wide Open Throttle. MANY cars do it (Nissan Altima, Honda Accord). It's a report to the ECU to down shift and not to hold back.

You should only be feeling the click when on the floor.

OP
S
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #6
It's only on Wide Open Throttle. MANY cars do it (Nissan Altima, Honda Accord). It's a report to the ECU to down shift and not to hold back.

I never felt a click / shift in my 2012 Kia Optima SX or on my Stinger for the first 900 miles. It just started happening recently. Either way, it is unacceptable...

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I never felt a click / shift in my 2012 Kia Optima SX or on my Stinger for the first 900 miles. It just started happening recently. Either way, it is unacceptable...
It didn't do it in your 2012. The new 2016's or newer do it with the 2.0L

It's the way they're designed...

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
I, for one, will agree that the clicking and movement of the pedal is disconcerting. Also, the trans should be smart enough to know whether to downshift or not based on throttle input.

Last edited:
Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Mazda6 Touring ? Soul Red

When Han tells Chewy to "Punch it!" the whizzing of the stars and associated noise is light speed. That's a feature, not a problem.

NOTE My Mazda 6 also has this. A host of cars do... It's a feature. Use it.

cazwizzle

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The clicking accelerator pedal at the end of travel during WOT took me off guard initially too, and wasn't exactly sure what it was doing (but realized it was clearly engineered that way) until reading the explanation a few posts back by [MENTION=48]TurboTx[/MENTION]. Many thanks!

OP
S
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #11
Looks like the sunroof wind whistle is gone after a few more open and close cycles, which is good but will be keeping an eye on it.

Hopefully the unbalanced / minimal heat in the foot well (either on dedicated foot setting or split defrost / foot) is adjustable down there as the rest of the inside is fine at 68 - 70. Has anyone else experienced this?

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
I've not noticed any temp issues and it's been from 50 above to 10 below zero Fahrenheit around here since purchase.

OP
S
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #13
Dropped my 2.0T Premium off today for service.

Service Technician was able to reproduce (3 times) shifting from Park to Manual shift mode (very smooth / continuous motion that is quite quick) and the car drives backwards a few feet. Will be interesting to see what Kia says about this. I think it is quite a safety hazard and design flaw.

Really hope the hatch creak is fixed / addressed the first time. Also hope they can do something about the foot well heat. Also maybe some pedal adjustment to address the full throttle issue / bad design...

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Hi [MENTION=307]sbrownnw[/MENTION] did you ever find out what was causing the pedal clicking noise? I'm in the Seattle area too.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Hi [MENTION=307]sbrownnw[/MENTION] did you ever find out what was causing the pedal clicking noise? I'm in the Seattle area too.
The click on the gas pedal is at wide open throttle and is a switch designed to tell the ECU to go full bore and downshift.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
CT
Country
United States
I'm sure everything will be sorted by the 2019 model. I've never had a Kia so I have no idea how good they are to get on top of things. or how good the service departments are, generally.

OP
S
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #17
Well, they finally fixed my creaky hatch after adjusting the striker (silver loop where the latch on the hatchback connects to when shutting), which is good news.

Still no updates on the manual shift mode problem with car driving in reverse instead of forward as expected.

Both of the above issues were brought to the Kia west coast escalation manager.

Also, my driver's side heat is confirmed to be at least 10 degrees cooler. Might try pulling fuses to attempt to reset climate system or maybe a full computer reset? What are the steps for doing a full computer reset?

OP
S
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #18
Wonder if the temperature difference (driver's side vs passenger's side) is related to this issue here. Seems like it could be. People's legs should not be getting burned when riding in the car. I think Kia could have a big problem here on their hands once summer comes around.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
The click on the gas pedal is at wide open throttle and is a switch designed to tell the ECU to go full bore and downshift.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
I wonder if this is Hyundai's workaround for preventing LSPI??

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
How so?