Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Something in my Stinger seems to be erasing / resetting my work garage parking scan card keys

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Kia Optima SX, 1972 911 Targa
Hi everyone,

Not sure if it is an interior issue but I am experiencing some kind of electronic issue. I've had 2 white scan card keys for my work parking garage either reset or erased. I've never had this problem before with any other car, including a 2012 Kia Optima SX. I keep these cards either in the cup holders or in the forward most storage bay. I've had two of these cards erase / reset on me in less than a month when I picked my 2.0T Premium Stinger the first week of January. The cards worked fine one day with a first time scan registering with a verification light and beep and then the next time no verification light or beep with multiple passes on the scanner and no garage access on entry or departure.

This is very strange and concerning. My work is moving buildings next week and we will be issued similar parking scan card keys. I will be bringing my Stinger in for a rear hatch rattle fix they second week of Feb and will be reporting this issue also. Does anyone have the phone number for Kia USA Customer Service and Issues, or even better, a USA / National Service Rep for escalation around an issue like this?

Thanks,

Scott

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Are these cards magnetic (swipe though the reader) or RFID (wireless)?

OP
S
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
They are the AWID white card keys that are wireless (swipe on / near scanning pad) not magnetic strip (swipe through reader).

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD Aurora Black
They are the AWID white card keys that are wireless (swipe on / near scanning pad) not magnetic strip (swipe through reader).
Are you 100% sure it's the car wiping them? I understand it seems like too much of a coincidence, but there's a high chance they'd wipe EMV chips on credit cards as well, and that doesn't seem to be reported by owners. I also have an AWID white card that I use for work and that's still working fine.

OP
S
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
I am not sure, but it sure seems to be the problem as I've keep these garage card keys in my cars in the center console area 100% of the time with no problems. Had two cards erased / damaged / reset in less than a month with the new Stinger.
[MENTION=472]Berzerker[/MENTION], are you keeping your card in the center console 100% of the time?

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD Aurora Black
I am not sure, but it sure seems to be the problem as I've keep these garage card keys in my cars in the center console area 100% of the time with no problems. Had two cards erased / damaged / reset in less than a month with the new Stinger.
[MENTION=472]Berzerker[/MENTION], are you keeping your card in the center console 100% of the time?
No, I have it in my wallet, right leg near the drive mode selector.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
May not be related but where is the slot for starting the car with a dead battery in the keyfob?

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
There's nothing in around the cupholder that would cause electromagnetic issues. Are you putting your cell phone in the cupholder as well?

Kia's Customer Support number is 1-800-333-4542

OP
S
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #9
OP
S
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #10
There's nothing in around the cupholder that would cause electromagnetic issues. Are you putting your cell phone in the cupholder as well?

Kia's Customer Support number is 1-800-333-4542
Yes, but I've never had issues with the cell phone next to the card before for years. The only thing that has changed is the new car with this new problem of multiple card keys dying in less than a month. I bought an EMF scanner on Amazon, will be interesting to see what the car reads running in a nearby park-n-ride lot with no building or houses nearby and my cell phone at home. Hopefully it is not the car. If it was my iPhone 7, I'm sure there would be many posts about this.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I assume you don't have Qi wireless charging... Because that would maybe do it. I have it turned off because I don't have a phone that supports it, but for whatever reason when I put my iPod touch on the wireless charger just as a place to put it, it gets very hot.

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
I assume you don't have Qi wireless charging... Because that would maybe do it. I have it turned off because I don't have a phone that supports it, but for whatever reason when I put my iPod touch on the wireless charger just as a place to put it, it gets very hot.
We weren't lucky enough to get the wireless charging option.