Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Winter Tires, Gas, & Alternative Logos

ViBiNVo

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Stinger V6 GT-L
Hi Everyone,

I am sorry if I posted in the wrong thread but I wasn't sure where to post these questions. I have ordered by AWD V6 Black/Red Stinger coming in 1-2 months. I just have a few questions for those who are current owners.
1. Has anyone felt the need to put on winter tires on the AWD model? I live here in Toronto, Canada and the stock tires are supposed to be performance and not very ice/winter friendly.
2. I am expecting that you only fuel this baby with premium? Is that the general consensus?
3. Does anyone know of any alternative KIA logos that could be used? Is there a Stinger Logo outside that awkward "E"?

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
1) I would highly suggest getting a set of winter tires.
2) For Forced Induction vehicles, premium fuel is highly recommended.
3) Check with [MENTION=339]Mike@ImportShark[/MENTION], he might have some ideas

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Hi Everyone,

I am sorry if I posted in the wrong thread but I wasn't sure where to post these questions. I have ordered by AWD V6 Black/Red Stinger coming in 1-2 months. I just have a few questions for those who are current owners.
1. Has anyone felt the need to put on winter tires on the AWD model? I live here in Toronto, Canada and the stock tires are supposed to be performance and not very ice/winter friendly.
2. I am expecting that you only fuel this baby with premium? Is that the general consensus?
3. Does anyone know of any alternative KIA logos that could be used? Is there a Stinger Logo outside that awkward "E"?
In regard to your third question, we're literally making the Stinger logo in the form of a replacement emblem.
https://www.kiastinger.org/forum/threads/838-Stinger-Logo-Emblem-Development-Underway!

This is currently undergoing R&D and it's a race against time to get them before the Asian new year holiday season. The way it looks right now, we'd probably have to wait to get these in until after the holiday, so figure early March.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Hi Everyone,

1. To save your butt and peace of mind, yes, get them.
2. All cars can accommodate above 87 octane. Hell, our gas stations carry 85 because of the altitude (no, it's not E-85). My dad runs 87 in his G8 GT and has had no problems in 9 years of ownership. I put 89 or 91 in my Genesis because it's not the lowest grade. Think of it as food; keep eating like crap and you'll pay for it in the long run.
3. Can't help you there as I have only come across the E logo you stated and the aftermarket K logo. A quick search on google and it'll show up.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
In general, name-brand fuels have additives that help reduce deposits. I'd still use the Techron or Kia equivalent at oil change intervals.
Higher octane fuels burn more slowly which is needed to prevent pre-ignition. The use of lower octane fuel is forcing the spark advance to retard and reduce power and performance. Knock sensors will keep the engine alive if you have to use a tank of low octane, but I wouldn't do it unless necessary. You don't buy a $50,000 car and try to save $5.00 a tank by using cheaper fuel.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
The winter tires thing has me on the fence between all season and winter tires. I've had the car for a week and didn't want to pay the $4k on dealer winters so will wait for the next winter season to figure something out.

Very impressed with the summer tire grip levels at the current temps just hope they don't crack or become at issue down the road. I have a GT AWD with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 and loving every mile - I haven't pushing it much in the corners due to the temps but I can tell they are working very well. I've had quote a few 300 HP 4WD cars before that were not as sharp on the turn in.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
The winter tires thing has me on the fence between all season and winter tires. I've had the car for a week and didn't want to pay the $4k on dealer winters so will wait for the next winter season to figure something out.

Very impressed with the summer tire grip levels at the current temps just hope they don't crack or become at issue down the road.
I have an AWD on order with the 19" performance tires. While I don't get much winter snow here (mostly freezing rain and ice), I did want the better grip on dry pavement of the performance tires. I bought a new Pontiac G8 GT in '08 with the big wheels and summer performance tires and I've never had any problem with them after half a dozen sets (192,000 on the G8) and a couple of different brands. Currently Potenzas. Never had a crack or a problem with them. Never heard of such a thing....

Reactions
State
DC
Country
United States
I have an AWD on order with the 19" performance tires. While I don't get much winter snow here (mostly freezing rain and ice), I did want the better grip on dry pavement of the performance tires. I bought a new Pontiac G8 GT in '08 with the big wheels and summer performance tires and I've never had any problem with them after half a dozen sets (192,000 on the G8) and a couple of different brands. Currently Potenzas. Never had a crack or a problem with them. Never heard of such a thing....
Seem my earlier post in another thread...

I did a web chat with Michelin support about their summer tires, and this is verbatim what what they told me about use in low temperatures...

As the temperature of the compound nears freezing, the grip level of the tire begins to degrade. Michelin does not recommend using UHP Sport Summer tires when tire temperatures drop below 40?F (5?C) or on snow and ice.

At tire temperatures below 20?F (-7?C) Michelin UHP Sport Summer tires may develop surface cracks in the upper sidewall and tread area if flexed.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I've never had Michelin summers. All tires lose grip with decreasing temperature. I'm not going to disagree with Michelin support (assuming the support person knew their tires) but if this is true, it is either true only for Michelin, or this is an industry trade secret that should be shared with anyone using summer performance tires. That information is highly suspect, and is not very descriptive. What do they mean by "may" develop, and "if flexed?" Normal flexing, or running low on pressure? What type of flex? Very vague information, and I can't believe that summer tires would be sold without a very obvious disclaimer. It's not in the manual and I've never seen any such information in their literature.

I don't mean to be skeptical, but I'm a scientist and analysis is my "middle name." [???:)]

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Thanks Ralzon, I've had the Michelin support comment in my head since buying the car and figured I'd see how it goes with cracking and cold temp. I've been well below -7C from the day I took delivery and noticed they included a clause on the sales agreement that acknowledging the fact that these UHP summers are not recommended in cold and snow conditions.

This is all new to me since my previous performance cars have all been in a warm climate and I never heard of All Season tires before coming over to Canada.

In the real snow I will change them out for sure!