Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

HUD Not Working Mystery Solved

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Don't know if anyone else has run into this, but I was having issues with the HUD. I activated it and saw it show up, just like it should, backed out of my garage started driving and the hud was gone. Checked settings and it said it was on, so just gave up. Next morning, started the car and HUD was on. Backed out of the garage and started driving - no HUD! How annoying. Later I pulled in the garage and was looking at a few other things in the car while it was still running. Since there was low light, I took off my sun glasses and dang, the HUD showed up. Aha, glasses on - no hud, glasses off - hud on. Turns out the hud display is polarized, as are my sun glasses. Unfortunately they are cross polarized from each other. If I rotate the sun glasses 90 degrees I can see the hud through them, but straight on I can't. Bottom line is no problem with the hud display, I was just putting my cross polarized sun glasses on every time I pulled out of the garage. Looks like I'll have to drive with my head sideways to use the hud on sunny days. Well actually I guess I'll just have to get different sun glasses but I'll have test the polarization. Anyway thought I'd share my findings. Anyone else run into this?

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
there is an option on the dash in which you can rotate the HUD, I have the same problem with my glasses.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
there is an option on the dash in which you can rotate the HUD, I have the same problem with my glasses.
How does that work? Is the information displayed the same way or is it rotated? Or are you just rotating the polarized part?

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
Don't know if anyone else has run into this, but I was having issues with the HUD. I activated it and saw it show up, just like it should, backed out of my garage started driving and the hud was gone. Checked settings and it said it was on, so just gave up. Next morning, started the car and HUD was on. Backed out of the garage and started driving - no HUD! How annoying. Later I pulled in the garage and was looking at a few other things in the car while it was still running. Since there was low light, I took off my sun glasses and dang, the HUD showed up. Aha, glasses on - no hud, glasses off - hud on. Turns out the hud display is polarized, as are my sun glasses. Unfortunately they are cross polarized from each other. If I rotate the sun glasses 90 degrees I can see the hud through them, but straight on I can't. Bottom line is no problem with the hud display, I was just putting my cross polarized sun glasses on every time I pulled out of the garage. Looks like I'll have to drive with my head sideways to use the hud on sunny days. Well actually I guess I'll just have to get different sun glasses but I'll have test the polarization. Anyway thought I'd share my findings. Anyone else run into this?
LOL, thanks for the morning laugh. Yes there is a rotation adjustment in the settings.

OP
blesken
Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thread Starter #5
LOL, thanks for the morning laugh. Yes there is a rotation adjustment in the settings.
Dang I guess I have more studying to do learning all the features on the Stinger. Thanks, saved me the cost for new sun glasses.[cool]

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
Dang I guess I have more studying to do learning all the features on the Stinger. Thanks, saved me the cost for new sun glasses.[cool]

Here you go [MENTION=877]blesken[/MENTION], it's also in the manual under section 4, page 106.

OP
blesken
Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thread Starter #7
Great thanks!

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
The suggestion to rotate the HUD image as a solution to this is just an April fool's joke right? Clearly that's not going to do anything here...

The simple solution is to wear non polarized sunglasses.

The light being polarized is a side effect of bouncing it off the windscreen. Not much you can do about that, since that's exactly why sunglasses are polarized in the direction they are. It's the definition of 'glare'.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
The suggestion to rotate the HUD image as a solution to this is just an April fool's joke right? Clearly that's not going to do anything here...

The simple solution is to wear non polarized sunglasses.

The light being polarized is a side effect of bouncing it off the windscreen. Not much you can do about that, since that's exactly why sunglasses are polarized in the direction they are. It's the definition of 'glare'.
Dunno. Works find with my sunglasses. Go figure..... and yes, mine are polarized. I don't think you can find sunglasses these days that are not polarized.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Dunno. Works find with my sunglasses. Go figure..... and yes, mine are polarized. I don't think you can find sunglasses these days that are not polarized.
If you have polarized glasses and you can see the HUD fine then either your glasses are polarized the wrong way or they are not polarized. Tip your head sideways and if the HUD disappears, it's the first. If I doesn't, it's the second.

I bought unpolarized Oakley Two Face glasses.