Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

My Issues at 4000 miles.... :(

hommerxxx

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Hello All,

First time poster here, so I hope I'm posting in the right place. I bought a 2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT on December 10th, and I enjoy MOST of the car. But there are some real bothering things happening with this car, and I'll just list them here in no particular order:

- When unlocking the car, the drivers mirror comes only halfway out about 70% of the time, while the passenger side mirror rotates completely out. It requires me to start the car, or hit unlock a second time to rotate the drivers side view mirror completely out.
- Circulating air will shutoff every 5 minutes and go back to outside air, no matter what air mode I am in, and even when the AC/Fan system is off. This is extremely annoying, especially when its cold outside and the "Smart Ventilation" turns on...
- "Smart Ventilation" turns on regardless of if I want NO air movement in my car... I have no control over this. Sometimes people have colds or just dont want air moving in the cabin, let alone from the outside....
- The car downshifts EXTREMELY hard, regardless of what mode I am in. Even comfort and eco. When my foot is resting on the brake slowing down, and then it downshifts and throws my head forward, this is not acceptable. I understand this for sport mode, but not for EVERY mode. Whats the point of a COMFORT mode if my head gets whiplash from downshifting...
- My Trip dial(?) gets reset every night. So regardless of when I filled my tank or if I want to track MPGs for a tank or trip, I cannot do this. No, the setting is set to reset on fill up. I tried reset manually, and reset in the off position, doesn't stop it from reseting.

I love driving the car outside of these issues, but with so many issues piling up its really starting to bother me. If anyone has any help they can lend, of if you are having the same issues please let me know that I just didnt get the one stinger that was rushed off the floor for delivery...

Thanks,
Scott

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Hello All,

First time poster here, so I hope I'm posting in the right place. I bought a 2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT on December 10th, and I enjoy MOST of the car. But there are some real bothering things happening with this car, and I'll just list them here in no particular order:

- When unlocking the car, the drivers mirror comes only halfway out about 70% of the time, while the passenger side mirror rotates completely out. It requires me to start the car, or hit unlock a second time to rotate the drivers side view mirror completely out.
- Circulating air will shutoff every 5 minutes and go back to outside air, no matter what air mode I am in, and even when the AC/Fan system is off. This is extremely annoying, especially when its cold outside and the "Smart Ventilation" turns on...
- "Smart Ventilation" turns on regardless of if I want NO air movement in my car... I have no control over this. Sometimes people have colds or just dont want air moving in the cabin, let alone from the outside....
- The car downshifts EXTREMELY hard, regardless of what mode I am in. Even comfort and eco. When my foot is resting on the brake slowing down, and then it downshifts and throws my head forward, this is not acceptable. I understand this for sport mode, but not for EVERY mode. Whats the point of a COMFORT mode if my head gets whiplash from downshifting...
- My Trip dial(?) gets reset every night. So regardless of when I filled my tank or if I want to track MPGs for a tank or trip, I cannot do this. No, the setting is set to reset on fill up. I tried reset manually, and reset in the off position, doesn't stop it from reseting.

I love driving the car outside of these issues, but with so many issues piling up its really starting to bother me. If anyone has any help they can lend, of if you are having the same issues please let me know that I just didnt get the one stinger that was rushed off the floor for delivery...

Thanks,
Scott
Hey Scott. Sorry to hear that you're not 100% happy with your car. :-(

So, it sounds like the motor in your mirror is out of rotation. I've only seen something like this one time on an Optima that I sold to a customer.

Ventilation. The car is programmed to bring in fresh air to control humidity levels, especially when it's cold outside. The humidity censor on the windshield will initiate the system if the level gets high. In your climate screen there are some settings in the top right corner. Have you tried changing these settings?

MPG. So, you have the fuel economy screen, trip a, and trip b. Which of these three screens is resetting? I will investigate the GT that I have in stock tomorrow to see what I find.

Now the puzzling one; shifting. So, tell me a little more about this. How are the up shifts? How are the down shifts is you leave the car in MANUAL mode in the shifter gate? Has it been shifting like this since mile 1?

The transmission has a learning logic that will attempt to adapt shifting towards a drivers style. The ECU uses lots of data to make its changes to the map. Maybe it's picked up some cross data.

Hoping to help make things better!

MurlinatoR

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

OP
H

hommerxxx

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Thread Starter #3
Hello Murlinator and I appreciate your quick response.
So, it is trip a I believe that resets. Not the accumulated trip. Or maybe thats trip b. The accumulated trip is still counting.

It has shifted hard from mile 1, and I took it in and the mechanic saids its jsut supposed to do that. But it doesnt seem right. It seems so rough.

Also one that I forgot to mention, the most annoying one. When I depress the brake pedal, 20% of the time there is resistance, and it requires quite a bit of force to move the pedal, and with brembo brakes once that force is applied the cars brakes engage hard (obviously). The issue is that I have to press that hard to engage them. It feels as though the pedal gets stuck, or some sort of braking part gets stuck and I have to push it past its threshold, resulting in a really hard braking situation.

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD Aurora Black
Hello Murlinator and I appreciate your quick response.
So, it is trip a I believe that resets. Not the accumulated trip. Or maybe thats trip b. The accumulated trip is still counting.

It has shifted hard from mile 1, and I took it in and the mechanic saids its jsut supposed to do that. But it doesnt seem right. It seems so rough.

Also one that I forgot to mention, the most annoying one. When I depress the brake pedal, 20% of the time there is resistance, and it requires quite a bit of force to move the pedal, and with brembo brakes once that force is applied the cars brakes engage hard (obviously). The issue is that I have to press that hard to engage them. It feels as though the pedal gets stuck, or some sort of braking part gets stuck and I have to push it past its threshold, resulting in a really hard braking situation.
The trip counter resetting is by design. It's supposed to be a counter for your current trip, not "a" trip. The actual "trip" counter is the "accumulated info." Also FYI, the fuel economy meter resets with each gas tank fill-up.

Your other issues sound really peculiar. I'd take it into a dealer and have them look at it.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
The trip counter resetting is by design. It's supposed to be a counter for your current trip, not "a" trip. The actual "trip" counter is the "accumulated info." Also FYI, the fuel economy meter resets with each gas tank fill-up.

Your other issues sound really peculiar. I'd take it into a dealer and have them look at it.
Correct. That trip counter is specifically for each individual trip.

I can't say that I agree on the shifting or the braking. Are your floormats hooked securely to the floor?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Lemon. Take it back and get your money to get another one or shop for another car. You should NOT have this many problems with the car. Probably assembled on a Monday or Friday (no one wants to be at work on a Monday or everyone wants to hurry up and finish on Friday).

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
Apart from the ventilation issues - which may be simply how the car is programmed to behave - these should be fixable by a competent dealership. If you're having issues getting satisfaction from your dealership, I would recommend you find another Kia dealership or contact the Kia Stinger Concierge. The brakes are an outright safety issue. Stand your ground and listen to what they have to say. I hope Kia gets this right for you ASAP.

OP
H

hommerxxx

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Thread Starter #8
Floor mats are in the hooked position, and have never slid away from that position.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Agreed with the guys here. You should not have this many issues with a brand new car. Aside from the AC and trip inquiries the rest are definitely important. As far as the brakes goes, it sounds like when they filled up the brake system with fluid, at the factory, it was not bled properly and there is air in the system. I would suggest having them drain the brake fluid completely and have them bleed the system twice, to ensure there is no air in the system. Also check the brake lines, maybe there is one loose and that is how air is getting in the system.

Let us know how it works out.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Since these transmissions have adaptive learning I would recommend start a new learning process. Pull the negative battery cable for at least 10 minutes and reconnect. Drive the car easy for 30 miles or so for the initial learning process. If that doesn't work definitely take the car in for service.

Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
I too have noticed the aggressive downshifting and inability to brake/decelerate smoothly. Any update on your brakes?

OP
H

hommerxxx

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Thread Starter #12
I was told the harsh deceleration was just part of the transmission as it?s supposed to be. And it?s.... the same. Just getting used to it. Hopefully a computer/transmission update will be provided like the early optima?s.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT Limited
I have 1500 miles on a 3.3 GT AWD and in Eco or Comfort mode when I do normal or light braking my car down shifts but not at all harsh or head snapping. I suggest you and your dealer drive some other Stingers to show there is something wrong with your car, same for the brakes. I hope its gets resolved for you.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
hommerxxx did you get all the problems sorted out?