Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Kia may limit dealers who can sell Stinger

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Hope this is not true as this would for sure cause dealers to charge premiums.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...84/kia-may-limit-dealers-who-can-sell-stinger
Kia's new Stinger luxury hatchback was the hit of the Detroit auto show when it debuted in January, and the brand has big plans for its impact on Kia's image.

But not all dealers will get to sell the Stinger when it arrives to market late this year.

Kia may limit the number of dealers who sell the Stinger, just as only about a third of its dealers sell the full-size K900 sedan, according to dealers who attended the brand's make meeting at the NADA convention.

Kia plans to figure out its sales approach for the Stinger once a new dealer advisory board is in place later this month, Michael Sprague, Kia Motors America COO, told Automotive News after the make meeting.

Roughly 220 of Kia's 755 dealers nationwide sell the K900, which necessitated additional training and facility improvements.

But dealers see the Stinger as less of a leap from the bulk of Kia's lineup than the K900 -- both in price and image. The K900 starts at just over $50,000 while the Stinger is expected to start in the low- to mid-$30,000 range.

Also on dealers' minds at the make meeting were changes to Kia's stair-step program, known as Market Share Objective; the topic was discussed at length with Kia executives and dealers.

While dealers understand that Kia is pushing its internal goal of 5 percent market share in the U.S. by 2020, they remained concerned that the MSO program could threaten profitability.

Kia has adjusted the MSO program by lopping off the top-tier step -- 115 percent of a dealer's target -- and adding a 70 percent tier at the bottom.

But the program remains a sore spot with dealers, who are seeking additional changes, including increased support from Kia Motors Finance.

Also on dealers' minds was Kia's mix of vehicles, which was split evenly between cars and trucks in 2016, compared with an overall market that leaned 60 percent toward light trucks.

Kia and its dealers are hoping the new Niro hybrid crossover that's based on Hyundai's Ioniq line will help shift that balance, particularly after a scheduled high-profile Super Bowl ad featuring actress and comedian Melissa McCarthy.

Kia is anticipating 2017 will be another record-breaking year, topping 2016's 647,598 vehicle sales and 3.7 percent market share.

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I sure hope not, this would hurt Kia sales in the long run.

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Of all the paths to follow, it would be disastrous go down the same path as the K900. I have yet to see one on the road.[dunno]

Reactions
State
PR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Azera
I hope that Motor Ambar in Puerto Rico approve some dealers to sell and I also hope that ALL dealers could bring the mantainance and warranty to the Stinger !!!

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I hope that Motor Ambar in Puerto Rico approve some dealers to sell and I also hope that ALL dealers could bring the mantainance and warranty to the Stinger !!!
You guys have many Kia dealers over there?

Reactions
State
PR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Azera
Only 13, they will open e new one I Ponce where I live hopefully this year before the Stinger arrive !!