Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Hit and Run

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Trying to be zen about this like my ma would; I keep telling myself it could have been worse:

Attachments

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Damn, no dash cam?

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
Ouch! Judging from the height of the damage, its either an SUV or Pickup. How did it happen?

OP
TurboTx

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Thread Starter #4
Damn, no dash cam?
I was parked at the time so my cam didn't get anything. In fact, the business's security camera only caught a grainy shot of the asshat's license plate.

Ouch! Judging from the height of the damage, its either an SUV or Pickup. How did it happen?
It was a POS altima actually, plenty banged up so he didn't care. Besides, based on the recording, he was too busy chatting on his phone to worry about things like looking before backing up.

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Really sorry to see this happened. You should get yourself a Power Magic box which will keep the dash camera on for a couple of hours after you park.

[video=youtube;swTWSjyN9FQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swTWSjyN9FQ[/video]

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I hate to generalize, and maybe the guy just overlooked the distance if he was talking on the phone, but I've also seen people who do things like that on purpose. They drive crap and they are jealous of anyone who doesn't and has enough money to buy a new ride. I worked as a deputy sheriff for over 20 years. I've seen a few in my time.

Which brings up a dilemma. In the past, I used to prefer parallel parking spaces because I didn't want my doors dinged. Now with all the sensors in stuff in the bumper, I'm not too eager to park that way. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Sorry. Very sorry. [}(]

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Did you get a copy of the video? Will help prove to your insurance it was a hit and run. Very sorry to see.

OP
TurboTx

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Thread Starter #8
Did you get a copy of the video? Will help prove to your insurance it was a hit and run. Very sorry to see.
I will get a copy if I need to, but I have uninsured scumbag coverage, so I don't know if I need it yet. Also not sure if I will need to file or just pay out of pocket.

He hit it hard, hard enough to make it lurch forward sickeningly, but there are no dents or misalignments. That's a testament to how well built this car is and safe it should (hopefully) be in a collision.

OP
TurboTx

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Thread Starter #9
Update: just got another little present from the hit and run:

[video=youtube_share;QHItGdYc2X0]https://youtu.be/QHItGdYc2X0[/video]

[video=youtube_share;msp0n3opEhM]https://youtu.be/msp0n3opEhM[/video]

Reactions
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium
Bummer really sorry to see this. Is the rattling coming from loose tips?

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
I'm sorry to see this man....Know exactly the feeling. to be honest, it doesn't look bad, the bumper did its job and the best thing is it didn't crack (at least not from the pictures) so, having repaired much heavier and worst damage, that literally will buff out.

Now the rattling issue could be due to the bumper bending with the impact and making the exhaust tips, which are attached to the bumper and not the exhaust itself, probably became unattached from its mounting points.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Snow White KIA Stinger GT2 RWD
Damn, brother, that sucks. That's my worst fear with putting in all this work and to have someone take a sh17 on it and flee. Thankfully it's minimal.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger 2.0l Premium
This breaks my heart. Sorry bro.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Sorry to see this, Man. If you could, whenever it gets fixed or you have a quote, please share for members to see how much/little repairs cost for this car. Hate to see this happen to anybody.

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
So sorry! That sux!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Any updates on what they intend to do for repairs?

OP
TurboTx

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Thread Starter #17
FINALLY got her dropped off for repairs; between moving and work I've had to delay getting it looked at/repaired.

Here's the estimate I found today in my portal; I'm sure it will go up once they get in there and start tearing it apart:

Attachments

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Looks like they are just going to be repairing the bumper rather than replacing.

OP
TurboTx

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Thread Starter #19
Correct. From what I can tell they're only replacing the badges, the interior clips, and "bumper spoiler".

Biting my tongue, for now....

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Good luck [MENTION=48]TurboTx[/MENTION], hope the repairs come out good as new.